• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
bleach and/or naruto manga worth to read?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
All this ranting about worst long running series and generic trash reminds me of the first Pirates of the Caribbean movies when the solder was going on about how Jack was the worst pirate ever. And Jack's retort was "but you have heard of me."

The only true failing in entertainment is to be forgotten. From the looks of threads like this, regardless where you stand, none of these stories will be forgotten anytime soon.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
A fair enough sentiment, Arsenic, but the question originally asked was whether it's worth reading, not whether it's popular or successful.
RGaspar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:12 am Reply with quote
No idea about Bleach, but I'm almost up to date with Naruto.

And, well...I don't know. I'm not a rabid fan as some guys I've met, so Naruto can become extremely boring and generical at times, yet being so pleasant and fun some other times.

I'd say part 1 (Everything up to Volume 28) is definitely worth reading, even worth having. It just introduces you to a rich world of Ninjas, imaginative training and RPG-like goals. But then, Part 2 (Or the "Shippuden Stage") starts to take itself way too seriously, and that's something I don't find attractive for a series that's meant for a light-hearted read. Some guys love it, though. The good points of Part 2 (so far) it's that the overal story is moving forward (Slow, but more or less steady) and every now and then a basic plot premise from Part 1 is resolved.

Also, I find Naruto's battles kind of cathartic. Most of them begin with all the rage against the bad guy, then some backstory for the character is revealed, and the final resolution is always bittersweet, our heroes are tired, injured but with the feeling that they have learned something. It's satisfying.

All in all, I'd say Naruto is like "The Simpsons" at this point. The best is in the past, and now is just a bit above average (with the occasional good episode/chapter), but if you've seen it all the way through, you're already a fan until the end.

Last edited by RGaspar on Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:09 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
A fair enough sentiment, Arsenic, but the question originally asked was whether it's worth reading, not whether it's popular or successful.

I was only commenting on the most recent topic of discussion going on in this thread.

As for the original question I am waiting to the OP to comeback and weigh in on the comments so far and clarify some objectives(is he really going to go back and reread the manga from episodes he has seen?).
ElderlyGoose

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:50 am Reply with quote
I'd say it depends on what you like.

If you like Short bursts of OMG and then nothing for ages.
Bleach.

If you prefer longer more panned out OMG and very few peaks.
Naruto.

I love both but I feel Bleach is better for raw epic battle wow moments and Naruto is better for a plot/story that's interesting (and the battles tend to blur more into the story than be shocking wow moments - not to say there aren't any).

Oh and both mangas are 1000x better than their anime counterparts.
vashna

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't believe anyone has brought up Dragon Ball in all its incarnations again. I'm of the opinion that any newer Naruto or Bleach fans that haven't watched Dragon Ball in the past would probably get attached to that storyline too. It was obviously very influential in the world of shonen fighting anime. I'm not trying to turn this into a recommendation thread, of course, but there are enough parallels amongst the series to warrant another look at Toriyama Akira's behemoth. Going back to the idea of success and popularity, if these are any measures of quality than Dragon Ball is definitely up there with Bleach and Naruto.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:47 am Reply with quote
If you're going to mention Dragonball, you need to recommend Saint Seiya as well. Bleach is basically Saint Seiya with swords anyway.
Smoke

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I started watching bleach and naruto at the same time which was like 3 or 4 years ago.

Bleach: I watched the anime for like a month or so. I stopped after they saved rukia (i think thats her name lol). I have to agree with what someone said earlier in the thread. I just felt like after they saved her he should go the hell home lol. I thought the beginning was slow and it def picked up when they got in the soul society but I instantly lost interest after they save the girl. I think this manga is most like Dragonball Z. I don't like the DBZ shonen plot style much. "Regular guy trains, reaches maximum power, beats up powerful bad guy, new even more powerful bad guy, regular guy exceeds to a new maxium power to defeat" and they sprinkle a wee bit of story. I know thats how shonen are but even still its like "F*ck this shit" lol
-Overall: I can't say too much about it because I've only watched a little bit.. never really got into it. It reminds me of DBZ and I hated it so it ruined it for me. But if you like DBZ then youll probably like Bleach.

Naruto: I still watch naruto and read manga as well. I like the story and the plot line. Some parts are like "WTF?" but it flows fairly well for the most part. Part 1 was better than Part 2 i think. I think part 2 surfaced a lot of plot holes and inconsistencies. Some examples...spoiler[the sharingan/rinnigan thing, Naruto's new sage 9 tails mode, and the character focus.] Most characters have some background info revelation which makes you understand them and thier motives more. As far as fights go, Naruto's are the least entertaining to me because he doesn't have many skills or jutsus he just kinda gets stronger and uses resangan variations over and over again but most other fights are really tactical and well thought out with the occasional moment when you feel like "he/she lost a little too easily". The naruto/sasuke thing is hit or miss. I personally don't like it but its not enough to ruin it. The war arc is all over the place being that there is a lot going on in different places which is annoying. The manga should be over after this arc which is good.
-Overall: I used to like it a lot..lol..but now i just kinda like it enough to follow it. It doesn't really stand out in any thing in particular but everything is done decently tho.

Last edited by Smoke on Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
(Assuming the current storyline will end with the destruction of the Bleach universe as it grows ever so seemingly so...; NOTE: this is technically not a spoiler.)

There's no point in reading Bleach when it's finished. To read a series which becomes stale after about halfway through and then ends so abruptly and in not so much of a "BANG!" makes the series as a whole just seem, heavy-heartedly, frankly, pointless. It's as if Kubo just took an eraser, literally, to the whole series with the last arc.

...And this coming from a guy who has contributed to Bleach's likelihood of being on the New York Times' Best Sellers List for the first week of June.

I used to not understand why people thought it took such a turn for the worse, I mean I understood, just not with nearly as much disdain as I liked the Arrancar concept and thus the long, drawn-out arc involving them, but as I look back at the series from this past week's chapter... I get depressed over how good of a series it could very well have been, especially with how great some of the characters are. If I were Kubo, I'd be doing some serious soul (NO PUN! >=P) searching over what I've been doing for the last decade. "Yes, I made some money, but did I actually accomplish anything? Was there a point to it all?"
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually not sure that Bleach is that bad, though I understand that fans might grumble about the lack of motion. Rather, I've just become used to this as a fan of many shonen fighting series. We've debated it with Naruto and Bleach. One might say that One Piece has or has not moved sufficiently. There are other series that it could be discussed with. In fact, a thread I posted in a couple of hours ago was complaining about the lack of motion in Inuyasha.

That being said, I've just become used to it. I recognize that this is going to be a problem of major series like this and I just consign myself to enjoying the fact that they won't ever end cleanly. I know that would never work for a lot of people, but I've just gotten sort of used to it so to speak.

Does anyone else get that empty or upsetting feeling when he or she finishes a show that they really enjoyed? I guess this is also a great way to avoid it. I remember when I finished Air Gear. I felt rather vacant when it ended too soon in my opinion. I guess the audience should always be left wanting more, however.
biebell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:56 am Reply with quote
I liked them both, the twist in the story really excites me. LOL
musiquetom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Both titles stick to the manga pretty closely, so there's no need to both watch the anime and read the manga unless you really want to. I buy the Bleach manga because I enjoy Kubo's art style, and the twists seem to have more impact in print, but story-wise the anime is almost panel-for-panel like the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4