• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kyo Kara Maoh! DVD 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuroro IX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:42 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty positive the Yankees fans comment was there in the original version, given that Conrad is a Red Sox fan in the original version. One has to be careful when jumping to conclusions about these sorts of things...

I like the dub a lot, personally.
midori kou

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I kinda got attached with the dub version myself, although I have personal feelings against Mona Marshall's ability to voice act. However, I never got the interpretation that the males in the series were strongly interested in Yuri in that kinda of way. I don't know why people keep saying that when it's not absolutely true. In fact, I only see it as male bonding. Some guys do act that way around each other even if they are straight nowadays.

Plus, we must consider that the novel was written for a female audience. And about Wolfram in a pink nightgown, like it was stated in the anime, he's only living up to role given to him -- as a fiance... Special thanks to Yuri for doing that. It's not we hadn't seen stuff like this on American sitcoms before.
[/spoiler]
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:43 pm Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:

Plus, we must consider that the novel was written for a female audience.

Uh... this is actually very strong evidence against your claim that the blatant, over-the-top homosexuality in Kyo Kara Maoh isn't blatant, over the top homosexuality.
midori kou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:06 am Reply with quote
Saiyuki (which was written by a female for a general audience) and Weiss Kreuz had similar traits but doesn't mean it's all homosexual. It's like how male orientated series make females act homosexual even though they aren't. It's just part of the comedy. If you watched "Friends", they do this too. =\

And if you have watched ahead, in Kyou Kara Kaou, there's a deeper plot that'll disacknowledge the fact there is any homosexual relationships between the male characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1