• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Retitling Case Closed/Detetive Conan

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
At this time there are three different names used for this series as titles in the Encyclopedia; Case Closed, Meitantei Conan, and Detective Conan.

For the sake of consistency can a single title be picked for the various entries? Personally I feel that Meitantei Conan or the direct English translation Detective Conan would be the more accurate for each entry. I understand the concerns Funimation has over the name but those concerns are just that, concerns over a non-existent, frivolous lawsuit.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:48 am Reply with quote
Though I can't find where it's stated (Dan42? dormcat?), the Encyclopedia's policy is that the official English title is used as the entry's main title, and that if an official English title does not exist, then the official Japanese title is used. Since part of the franchise was released as "Case Closed", that is the title we use for those entries. As for "Detective Conan" versus "Meitantei Conan", while the former is an reasonably accurate translation, I'm not certain that it's official. Can anyone else speak to that point?

Link for convenience: Case Closed (manga).
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:46 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
As for "Detective Conan" versus "Meitantei Conan", while the former is an reasonably accurate translation, I'm not certain that it's official. Can anyone else speak to that point?

If an official North American title is not available, the official Latin-based (English preferred) title used by the Japanese license holder(s) has a higher priority (which has a meaning) than a romaji title (which only tells how to pronounce). In Conan's case, "Detective Conan" has always been the official English title used by the Japanese license holders, and most -- if not all -- Conan titles has an official non-NA English title.

Right now I've switched all unlicensed titles starting with "Detective Conan"; however, I'm also aware that some short, one-off OVA might not have a verifiable official disambiguating suffixes in English.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
If an official North American title is not available, the official Latin-based (English preferred) title used by the Japanese license holder(s) has a higher priority (which has a meaning) than a romaji title (which only tells how to pronounce).

I've posted this to the FAQ thread.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1