• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Variety Reporter: Spike Lee's Oldboy Remake Delayed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:54 pm Reply with quote
There has to be more to the story. I don't quite buy the press commitments angle.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
2012 is not the year for live-action anime films, it seems.
stararnold

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
That is some uexpected news showing up one day after announcement about the U.S. "Akira" film project being put on hold. Hopefully, not too much anime/manga-based hollywood films don't end up delayed for too long, especially when we are in an age of a tough time for manga and especially anime in North Ameirca. Speaking of delays, there has not been a update about Tobey Maguire's Robotech re-imagining project for over a year or an update on whether or not Skydance Productions got the rights to work on its live-action movie based on "Star Blazers" (the Americaniztion of "Space Battleship Yamato").
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Yes, just read about this on Crunchyroll. Looks like 2012 is starting off in both good (both Akira and Oldboy live-action movie put on hold) and bad (Bandai closing down). I wonder what other news (wither good or bad) will come out for 2012.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Oldboy is not on hold. It is being delayed because the star can't be in two places at once. This is nowhere near comparable to the Akira fiasco or Bandai/Beez's exit from their respective video markets.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer: Well, not in America, anyway. The Kenshin movie's lookin' good, at least.

As for Oldboy, that production's in some ways, more cursed than Akira, 'cus at least they want to do a good job on the former. Maybe it's for the best, 'cus all those parodies of it pretty much killed off whatever power an official remake would have.

mdo: I would've liked a Spike Lee Oldboy. It's Akira that was gonna be a dog.

Arsenic: You have to realize that Justin Lin and Nick Cage were attached to this thing years ago.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:24 am Reply with quote
At least it's not being canceled.
I think it just takes one good manga/anime Hollywood adaption to start off the trend.
While many aren't going to be 100% faithful to source material, in the very least, they would help spur interest in manga/anime in general, which seems to be much needed since FUNi and Sentai seem to be the only companies many ends meat (bar Viz living off Naruto and Bleach).
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Arsenic: You have to realize that Justin Lin and Nick Cage were attached to this thing years ago.

Nope.
I don't even see how old casting call matters at the stage this film is in now. The director is able to state completion for summer or fall given the current scheduling problem with Brolin, casting musical chairs seems to have stopped.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1