• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Steamboy DVD a Top Seller

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:06 am Reply with quote
I'm just wondering if it'll also be one of the highest returned movies. But anyway, I hope that helps push Otomo-san back into the black.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:25 am Reply with quote
I thought you couldn't return a movie unless its damaged, and you can only replace it with the same kind.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:40 am Reply with quote
True. Meaning everyone who bought it are probably kicking themselves-including myself. Top seller doesnt mean good. It just moved a lot of copies because of people who didn't know better.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:51 am Reply with quote
Now that is interesting considering the amount of people that either liked or didn't like it.

Well we have our copy here so students will get the chance to see it once school starts. But I'll be taking it first. It's been awhile since I've seen any of his films.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:10 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm just wondering if it'll also be one of the highest returned movies. But anyway, I hope that helps push Otomo-san back into the black.

Nielson Vidscan counts retail sales, not wholesale / distributions. So most of those sales won't be returned.

Kusanagi-sama wrote:
I thought you couldn't return a movie unless its damaged, and you can only replace it with the same kind.

Consumers generally can't return DVDs, although some stores do permit you to return them (I believe Circuit City has a no questions asked return policy, I know HMV does in Canada).

Retailers however can return all unsold DVDs. So when looking at sales charts, it's important to know if the sales are at the wholesale/distribution level, or at the retail level.

In this case they are at the retail level, so return will be very small.

Returns to distribution is one of the things that badly hurt the anime industry last year.

-t
Desslar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Great news! (although I wonder how many copies 23rd place gives you)

Let's go sequel!
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:35 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

I've got lots of respect for the guy as a filmaker, but he really should just go back to doing what made him: manga. There's no denying that the guy's one of the all time greats, maybe even top ten. Of course, after directing movies, I'm guessing laboring over graphic fiction that's going to make him less money isn't too appealing, which is why Shirow is never going to finish Appleseed (in my opinion the only one of his works not overated).
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:04 am Reply with quote
Wait, does the MEMORIES/STEAMBOY thing count?

In any event, I'm definately getting that...

er... as soon as I find it... for a better price than BARNES
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1