• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Higurashi's Ryukishi07 to Launch New Series This Year

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamTheNayru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ryukishi07 noted that the new work will have a completely different world setting than his previous works have had, so he will greatly enjoy the actual writing process.

Damn, so I guess we're not getting a When They Cry 5? That's very sad news.
Not too fond of his other works than WTC, both Ookamikakushi and Higanbana are very disappointing. He wrote one character's route for Rewrite, and soon as it's translated I'll first play that route.

I'm really hoping he'll make a WTC5 someday. Higurashi was my first anime and I adored it, especially Kai. The Umineko novels were also spectacular.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote
so was Higanbana really short then?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
Well good to know that he's still working. Sad that we're not getting the rest of the series. Looking forward to seeing what he has.
masat01

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote
"Has written or created... Rewrite"

Yeah he wrote one route and it was one of, if not THE worst.

Anyway, what happened to Higanbana? Did he just decide to scrap that or was it super short?
AilisKnil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
As terrible as WTC4 was, I can't bring myself to stop reading Ryukishi's stuff.

Eagerly awaiting Higanbana translation patch, and I'll be looking forward to this.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to ask for some clarification, since I haven't kept up since Umineko started, but, how is When They Cry numbered? I know Higurashi is 1, is 2 Kai or Umineko? Then what are 3 and 4? Is Higanbana included in the WTC numbering? Thanks!
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
I'll have to ask for some clarification, since I haven't kept up since Umineko started, but, how is When They Cry numbered? I know Higurashi is 1, is 2 Kai or Umineko? Then what are 3 and 4? Is Higanbana included in the WTC numbering? Thanks!

When They Cry 1: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
When They Cry 2: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai
When They Cry 3: Umineko no Naku Koro ni
When They Cry 4: Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei and future spinoffs (Kizuna, Fun, Ikiutsushi, Daybreak, Matsuri, etc...) are not considered a full "When They Cry" as they are spinoffs or in the case of Rei, an epilogue. Likewise, stuff like Umineko no Naku Koro ni Hane are also not official "When They Cry" titles (though Hane is known as 4+)

Ookamikakushi and Higanbana are no considered part of the When They Cry franchise.

Also for those wondering about Higanbana was released on August 13, 2011 and December 31, 2011 at Comiket 80 and 81.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
tasogarenootome wrote:

When They Cry 1: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
When They Cry 2: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai
When They Cry 3: Umineko no Naku Koro ni
When They Cry 4: Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei and future spinoffs (Kizuna, Fun, Ikiutsushi, Daybreak, Matsuri, etc...) are not considered a full "When They Cry" as they are spinoffs or in the case of Rei, an epilogue. Likewise, stuff like Umineko no Naku Koro ni Hane are also not official "When They Cry" titles (though Hane is known as 4+)

Ookamikakushi and Higanbana are no considered part of the When They Cry franchise.

Also for those wondering about Higanbana was released on August 13, 2011 and December 31, 2011 at Comiket 80 and 81.

well rei is still considered cannon in imo due to being the last material covered in a visual novel written by him.

On subject I can not wait to see what series they come up with... and people Higanbana is not scrapped the second part was just released at this comiket with a translation patch coming out soon for part one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote
masat01 wrote:
"Has written or created... Rewrite"

Yeah he wrote one route and it was one of, if not THE worst.

Anyway, what happened to Higanbana? Did he just decide to scrap that or was it super short?

I don;t know what your reading but Akane's route is easily the worst. Of the five Lucia's route is up there with Chihaya and Kotori, I would say third best.
VDZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
SamTheNayru wrote:
Quote:
Ryukishi07 noted that the new work will have a completely different world setting than his previous works have had, so he will greatly enjoy the actual writing process.

Not too fond of his other works than WTC, both Ookamikakushi and Higanbana are very disappointing. He wrote one character's route for Rewrite, and soon as it's translated I'll first play that route.

I'm really hoping he'll make a WTC5 someday. Higurashi was my first anime and I adored it, especially Kai. The Umineko novels were also spectacular.

When was it ever confirmed this wouldn't be WTC5? Remember that Umineko's setting was also completely different from Higurashi's.

I'd say this probably IS When They Cry 5. Ryukishi seems to at least have plans to continue the series, as at the end of Umineko he writes (multiple times), "We will meet again. When something else cries."
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
VDZ wrote:
I'd say this probably IS When They Cry 5. Ryukishi seems to at least have plans to continue the series, as at the end of Umineko he writes (multiple times), "We will meet again. When something else cries."

Huh? You realize that Umineko's full name was Umineko no Naku Koro ni right? So the first was when the cicadas cry and then it was when the seagulls cry. So saying that something else will cry is saying that he'll be doing another scenario, not continuing Higurashi.

That said, oh Ryukishi07. With Higurashi you were at the top of your game. And then you did Umineko and we laughed. And then you did Ookamikakushi and we laughed even harder. What comedy will you bring us this time?
Etrien

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:25 am Reply with quote
VDZ wrote:
SamTheNayru wrote:
Quote:

I'd say this probably IS When They Cry 5.

That's what I thought, too. At least, there's a good chance. The different world setting probably just means it isn't a sequel, which is in line with Umineko to Higurashi. After all, in Umineko spoiler[it's reasonable to interpret that the few crossovers were just allegorical in nature, and not literal representations of characters/events from Higurashi. EP8 really emphasized this.]

Megiddo wrote:
That said, oh Ryukishi07. With Higurashi you were at the top of your game. And then you did Umineko and we laughed. And then you did Ookamikakushi and we laughed even harder. What comedy will you bring us this time?

Is it a reasonably safe bet that you were anime-only on Umineko?
Because the anime was garbage. The visual novel, though, was nothing short of spectacular. Despite my initially mixed expectations, it ultimately even surpassed Higurashi in my eyes - the anime of which still probably holds the spot of my favorite show.

Megiddo wrote:
VDZ wrote:

Huh? You realize that Umineko's full name was Umineko no Naku Koro ni right? So the first was when the cicadas cry and then it was when the seagulls cry. So saying that something else will cry is saying that he'll be doing another scenario, not continuing Higurashi.

I don't see how VDZ implied Ryukishi'd be continuing Higurashi, so I think you might've gotten a bit mixed up on the naming scheme. Umineko and Umineko Chiru are officially subtitled (in their original Japanese release) as When They Cry 3 and 4, respectively. (Likewise, the original Higu and Higu Kai releases were always subtitled WTC and WTC2.) So, if RK07 goes ahead with another "Something no Naku Koro ni", it will almost certainly be given the subtitle WTC5. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1