• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Air Theme Plagiarised

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
W-General

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:58 pm Reply with quote
As a native citizen of Taiwan, I am extremely ashamed that this is happening in our country. Whoever they are, they obviously picked the wrong song to plagerize, because there are several dozen thousands of KEY fans in Taiwan, and they are not stupid.

I just went for a quick browse on major Taiwanese forums and many people are angry at this, and there are several organized efforts to send in an original copy of the CD to Key to inform them of this vile deed.

Please do not think that the actions of a few plagerizers represent the views of Taiwanese people. We all love originality and respect other people's works.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I'd kinda like to hear what this other song sounds like, because I *have* in the past heard songs that were from completely different sources and written independantly of each other that've sounded almost scarily similar...
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:37 pm Reply with quote
W: It's usually the Japanese who "borrow" cultural ideas from the Chinese, so I guess it's fair. Anyway, don't worry. As long as it's not Tarantino, I don't care.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:00 pm Reply with quote
W: Yeah, don't worry about it. One person's actions doesn't condemn a whole country.

It's not right to plagarize. Credit and money should be given to the original artist, if applicable. You go guys!
Cetali

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:06 pm Reply with quote
"Tori no Uta was composed by Key and fans of Air"

That's a bit of a strange way to refer to I've, or isn't Tori no uta by them?

W: It's either a mistake or the doing of one single idiot, and those you find everywhere.

Would like to hear this Melody too to get an idea how true the accusations are.
Thinkersblock07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I'd like to listen to this song to see how similar it is to Air. Then again, you never know, people come up with similar ideas all the time...
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:35 pm Reply with quote
This is yet again another copy of anime/Japanese music. And this is from Air as well. What a disgrace.

A lot of Chinese people do copy many other cultures' music. I'm Chinese myself, and in the past whilst watching those "TVB" series, I've found a BGM piece very similar to Alan Menken's "Colors of the Wind", and also one of their TVB cop series which featured a BGM piece very similar to the "X-Men" animation theme.

Hey, I've another one that I'd like to report.
In Hong Kong there is a male pop singer called Alan Tam, and a song of his from the early 1990s, is literally an near-perfect copy of the anime song Senaka goshi ni Sentimental (Sentimental Behind Our Backs)" by Miyasato Kumi, from anime OVA, Megazone 23.

Of course we know that Megazone 23 was created back in 1983-84; airing in 1985, I'm quite sure that someone in Hong Kong in the late 80s/early 90s had took the song and used for their own song for Alan Tam.

I'll go find out the Chinese title. And does anyone know what song I'm talking about here?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:20 pm Reply with quote
W-General wrote:
As a native citizen of Taiwan, I am extremely ashamed that this is happening in our country. Whoever they are, they obviously picked the wrong song to plagerize, because there are several dozen thousands of KEY fans in Taiwan, and they are not stupid.

I just went for a quick browse on major Taiwanese forums and many people are angry at this, and there are several organized efforts to send in an original copy of the CD to Key to inform them of this vile deed.

Please do not think that the actions of a few plagerizers represent the views of Taiwanese people. We all love originality and respect other people's works.

I think that was a nice and mature way to open up the topic. I thank you for that. And for sharing your perspective as well.

As for my opinion... well... you can't say that Key is really small time anymore. If it was indeed plagiarised, well, it was kinda stupid to try. >_>
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Kusanagi-Kei wrote:
This is yet again another copy of anime/Japanese music. And this is from Air as well. What a disgrace.

Why does Air make it any different? - -; Overrated...*cough*

Sadly enough, stuff like this happens sort of often. Especially in America, since us Americans automatically assume that the American version is the original because foreigners aren't allowed to have as much talent as us and aren't used to our superior American ways! Rolling Eyes Example: 'Another World' by Gackt was copied in the 2001 Josie And the Pussycats movie. But I can't for the life of me remember the name of the English song. - -; Sorry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Izlude

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm...if this is a "Best Of" collection, meaning these musical pieces have been around for quite some time, maybe even a few years at most, then how can they plagerize an anime series that was released just last year? O_o

Maybe it's just a coincidence or maybe even the other way around.
WristBandMan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Kusanagi-Kei wrote:

A lot of Chinese people do copy many other cultures' music. I'm Chinese myself, and in the past whilst watching those "TVB" series, I've found a BGM piece very similar to Alan Menken's "Colors of the Wind", and also one of their TVB cop series which featured a BGM piece very similar to the "X-Men" animation theme.

Hey, I've another one that I'd like to report.
In Hong Kong there is a male pop singer called Alan Tam, and a song of his from the early 1990s, is literally an near-perfect copy of the anime song Senaka goshi ni Sentimental (Sentimental Behind Our Backs)" by Miyasato Kumi, from anime OVA, Megazone 23.

Of course we know that Megazone 23 was created back in 1983-84; airing in 1985, I'm quite sure that someone in Hong Kong in the late 80s/early 90s had took the song and used for their own song for Alan Tam.

I'll go find out the Chinese title. And does anyone know what song I'm talking about here?

lol, yeah, during the 90s and late 80s, a lot of Hong Kong hits were borrowed from Japanese music. I just found out that this boyband hit, was actually taken from Enka Shocked
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Piracy in Tawain! Im shockked Shocked I tell you. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Pop-Art Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Anybody here ever watched any old school kung-fu flicks?

"Oh look, we have an intense stand off between our main characters, what music can we use?"

"How about some Ennio Morricone?"

"Brilliant!"

Something like that anyway, back in the seventies a lot of Hong Kong filmscores "borrowed" from various sources. However, as someone else mentioned, there is a possibility that it's complete coincidence.

It happens all the time in music actually. Mozart borrowed a measure from Clementi, John Williams nabbed a theme from E. W. Korngold etc.
vinforce

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I am really ashamed about this as i am a taiwanese. this is the link that spark everything.
http://www.51y.com/Musiclist/5390.htm
(go to 14th song, see the number 1234 on the right? click 1 of them to listen)
Hearst555

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I actually got the so called "Melody" song, if you want to listen it just visit the link:

EDIT: In response to dormcat, the link to the file is taken down.

Personally I found the song shockingly alike to Tori no Uta composed by Key (Though I have to admit it is well played though!) Still however, what was he thinking believing he could get away with something like this!

Last edited by Hearst555 on Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3