• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Final Fantasy Screens

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to GamingNewsNetwork.com!

>_>

Seriously, why is this front page news?
ryaneszorro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Damn man, I really wanna play both of those. Vincent looks badass
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Advent Children news I could see, but not this. While new Final Fantasy games maybe have just a little more justification to be reported on here than the likes of Soul Calibur, I'd still really rather not hear about either one on an anime news site. Especially when it's causing ANN to actually drop a couple anime-related stories.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Seriously, why is this front page news?

Because the crossover is significant enough that while you may not care, tens of thousands of our readers do.

Nagisa wrote:
Especially when it's causing ANN to actually drop a couple anime-related stories.

It isn't.

We have completely different staff for anime & game news, and the anime news staff (me) was busy balancing books and delivering magazines today.

When we decided to start covering (anime related) gaming news, I decided to be absolutely certain that it would not affect our non-gaming news in any way. In order to do this, I brought in an outsider so that no time would be taken away from the existing staff.

Very sorry for the late news, but there will be lots of it when you visit tomorrow. I'll be up all night making sure you have lots to read tomorrow.

Generaly, my other responsabilities shouldn't affect the news, and we've already made decisions that will help minimize this sort of impact. We just have to wait for everyone to get acustomed to the changes.

-t
wolfcry
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Eh, gomen ><

I would be that outsider he refers to, and I'm responsible for these posts you find irrelevant. ANN isn't losing any time on these, since its my job to find game news that is anime related, or in these cases, important/popular to a large number of our readers. I'll also be writing reviews for games of the same nature. I intend to do my job, and as long as there's interest in the news I’m posting, ill continue to write about these games. If there's any games in particular you want more information on, PM me and ill see what I can do. If you have a complaint about MY coverage of a game, I’d much rather have that in a PM, and leave these threads for the people who are actually interested in this type of stuff.

Sorry if I caused some confusion, and I guess I should have introduced myself earlier. Look forward to more news of this nature in the future! Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:21 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
It isn't.

We have completely different staff for anime & game news, and the anime news staff (me) was busy balancing books and delivering magazines today.

Oh, sorry about that. I guess I was still a little frustrated by what looked on the surface like anime news getting passed over for gaming news (Hellsing Ultimate website vs. Soul Calibur III website, for example). I also never knew ANN was going to start covering anime-related gaming, so there's also that. Many apologies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Saito

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:33 pm Reply with quote
This news is still more relevant than the 40 year old virgin having Dragon Ball Z toys. Seriously, what was the point of posting that kind of stuff?
Sabakyuu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Hell that was awesome news...it takes good staff to take little things and turn them into interesting information. I'd like you to see you do better.

Also, many anime fans are also fond of games such as final fantasy,soul caliber and of course ragnarok. I wouldn't be surprised if news about kingdom hearts happens to turn up soon. Smile I really look forward to these new games and I'm happy to see when this type of news is also reported.
Not many websites even manage to update their site weekly.....
Spoofer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus screens have little to do with anime.
Final Fantasy XII has nothing to do with anime.
Soul Calibur 3 has absolutely nothing to do with anime.

There are hundreds of games spawned from anime that you could do updates on. There are hundreds of games that have spawned anime that you could do updates on. Then there are the games that you just flat out assume anime fans enjoy playing. Tack on a million more updates, as every anime fan will have their own personal favorite series. You're now going to make updates on your own personal favorite games, or what you mistakenly assume your readers want to hear about? Sounds a bit unprofessional to me.

This is an anime news site. I don't care to read updates about screenshots of a game you assume I want to play. It just clutters up what I come here for. If I want MagicBox news, I know where to get it. I don't need ANN to become ANN/MagicBox Jr.

And once again, brief coverage on games actually based on anime titles is one thing. Coverage of your favorite fighting game or a Final Fantasy title having nothing to do with FF:U or FF7:AC is insulting to why I visit your site every day.

Last edited by Spoofer on Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:24 pm Reply with quote
But even if ANN starts covering anime-related games, it still won't be to the depth that actual gaming sites cover these games. I come here daily because it's the best anime site I've found on the web, and adding stuff like "the SCIII website is up" or "there are new Final Fantasy pics" just seems wrong. Yes, I am an avid gamer, but I find my gaming news and previews elsewhere, on sites that can go more in-depth because of different allocated resources. Similarly, I don't expect to find new anime news on these gaming websites, because they have different priorities.

Just wanted to make my opinion heard as a daily visitor here, so take my comment as you wish. Obviously, I have no say in the site, but that's my "vote." If you do continue posting anime game news (beyond the simple announcement of a game like you did in the past), I'll get used to it, but it will seem paltry and redundant compared to other websites. Anyways, keep up the good work.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:28 pm Reply with quote
At the very least, throw the information out on a side column or at the bottom of the main page or something. Don't mix it in with the stuff I and others actually have a desire to read.

Last edited by Spoofer on Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
wolfcry
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Sabakyuu wrote:
Hell that was awesome news...it takes good staff to take little things and turn them into interesting information. I'd like you to see you do better.

Also, many anime fans are also fond of games such as final fantasy,soul caliber and of course ragnarok. I wouldn't be surprised if news about kingdom hearts happens to turn up soon. Smile I really look forward to these new games and I'm happy to see when this type of news is also reported.
Not many websites even manage to update their site weekly.....

<offtopic>Well, now that you mention it, be sure to check out Tokyo Game Show this September. Gravity Co., Ltd has confirmed that they'll be showcasing Ragnarok Online 2 and Requiem, and will also introduce their new "casual game portal," Stylia. ^^ </offtopic>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, I don't really see what the big deal is. I mean, I guess I am sort of biased because I AM interested in some game news, but I honestly don't see what the fuss is about. I'm not interested in every anime title ever, but I'm not going to complain that it's reported on, I just scan the headlines, and if one interests me, I read it. If you look at the poll ANN took on whether or not they should report on games or anime-related games, the overwhelming majority wanted coverage, and second place was "I don't care about gaming coverage as long as it does not detract from your coverage of other material." It's not detracting from their regular coverage, so what's to be upset about? You have to use the scroll bar more?
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Why not do a poll to see if the readership, mostly outside the board, cares if you cover outside anime, gaming news, like FF 12 and SC 3. The only poll I have seen that covered gaming was the about anime gaming (ie: .hack and Naruto games.)

The screen shots looks outstanding, but I still can wait for a battle demo, because, after all, that where you going to spend 80% of the game at, and from the trailer that was shown at E3, it looks like 75 to 70%. I hope they don't aim for March/April time frame for US lanch, because my hands will be full with Zelda, and Zelda comes first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
yoh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Everyone on this thread who thinks that ANN should cover only "anime-related news" I think should lighten up. For heaven sakes if you DO NOT WANT TO READ THE STORY THEN DON'T CLICK ON IT. It's just a little blurb to see if you are interested in reading the story. Skip to the next story if you don't want to read it. If CNN didn't cover Hurricane Katrina just because it only affected people in the Southeast and had absolutely no impact on the people in Boise, Idaho what kind of crap would that be. Whatever, enjoy your day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2