• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tiger & Bunny Producer Considers Live-Action, Musical

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saturn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
This article kinda makes it sound like T&B isn't earning much money for the company, but I thought the opposite was true? Aren't the many merch tie-ins selling well, for instance? And I know the Blu-rays did well. Anyway, more T&B is always good, though I've never watched a live-action version of an anime I liked (did watch HanaKimi without watching the anime though...). They're soooo cheesy!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
What's with the live-action, musicals lately? It's like the old days of Sera Myu! Laughing
GhostShell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
What's with the live-action, musicals lately?

My thoughts exactly. Do some of these even transform into musicals well? One would think it would be fairly costly to produce a live action play and/or musical version of a franchise.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
There's no way this is going to look good as a live action film. I'm not saying it's impossible, but i don't see Tiger & Bunny getting the budget to pull off the special effects; this isn't Battlship Yamato.

As for a stage musical, hellooo fujoshi cash-in. Oh fine, gross overstatement, but musicals tend to be way more popular with female audiences than with male. Still, you might as well please all your fans.

I also don't entirely buy that they didn't have fujoshi as their back-up plan. I don't think they wrote the story to be fangirl bait, but they knew they were taking a risk and included the blatant end credits ("see? you can slash this! watch our action superhero show!") with the hope of getting a fujoshi fanbase in case their plans for broad-audience appeal failed. They wound up getting both, so good for them.

In the meantime, Viz, where the heck are my DVDs?!
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
This article kinda makes it sound like T&B isn't earning much money for the company

I got the same vibe, but hopefully, there's something lost in translation.

I could buy that the original intent was to market to a broad audience and that the fujoshi thing just sort of happened, and I can see how Live-action Tiger & Bunny could be executed. However, I don't think this is going to be the cross-platform darling that the producer expects it to be..
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one disappointed by the second half of the anime, and especially with the ending? Too bad, I really liked Kotetsu, as a character... but the screenplay felt not well-planned to me, and I read somewhere that they didn't expect the series becoming so popular and then they expanded/changed the storyline at the last minute, or something like that... °_°
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
However, Ozaki wanted more people than just core anime fans to watch the series. Specifically, he anticipated an audience among people who used to watch anime in the past, but have begun working and may even have kids. He emphasized that this intended target audience includes all working people who have not watched anime recently, regardless of marriage status, size of family, age, or gender.

The staff did not consciously make the anime for female fans specifically, so Ozaki said it was a pleasant surprise that there were more female fans that the staff had anticipated. He added that the female fanbase included everyone from core anime fans to many housewives who did not watch anime before.

...Why did this make me think about a complete reversal of the Brony fanbase and what Lauren Faust was trying to do with MLP? Anime hyper

Either way, I'd be super excited if there were a musical! I'm a fan of the series, but also a fan of musicals! (Though how it'd work out for THIS series, I'm not entirely sure...)
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I also don't entirely buy that they didn't have fujoshi as their back-up plan. I don't think they wrote the story to be fangirl bait, but they knew they were taking a risk and included the blatant end credits ("see? you can slash this! watch our action superhero show!") with the hope of getting a fujoshi fanbase in case their plans for broad-audience appeal failed. They wound up getting both, so good for them.

Seriously. Although, when I saw how the two first met and later found out they're partners, the first reaction from my shoujo-wired brain was: "Where's the toast?!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1