• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: S'more Entertainment Adds Galaxy Express 999 TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angieness

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Could it be...? The day we see Rose of Versailles licensed over here?! *crosses fingers*

Please dear god this! I will likely be picking up Galaxy Express 999 and will die happy if we can get Rose of Versailles over here.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...Discotek released the first Galaxy Express 999 film on DVD in North America last year...

Discotek have also released the follow-up movie, Adieu Galaxy Express 999. I know because I ordered it from Rightstuf and it arrived yesterday.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:08 am Reply with quote
...and that's another one completely out of nowhere. This is crazy. Very Happy
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
Damn, I never thought I would live to see this day. Shocked

After the disasters with Bandai and Media Blasters, the year is finally starting to look up again!
Don't forget about FUNimation sueing Sentai.

Anyway, man, never thought I'd see Galaxy Express 999 make it's way on DVD here (I'm not a fan, but it's good for those who wanted a DVD release.). That was one of the shows FUNi streamed from Toei. I can only hope they could get Pretty Cure out on DVD.
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
I wonder if they'd release Pretty Cure. It has a dub and was aired on TV in Canada. I'd love to own the series on DVD. Anime catgrin
Same. It wasn't a very great show (It got an 8/10 from me.), but it's something I've been wanting to see a DVD release for quite a while. I've even been tempted to import the two DVD box sets that got released last year in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:24 am Reply with quote
Wow, I never saw this coming. I really wanted to own this series but importing it would have been a godly figure due to the insane episode count. This is awesome news.

The only way it could be better is them saying they got the actual film reels and will run it through the Funi DBZ BD process.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:12 am Reply with quote
I just shat a solid gold brick after reading that, damn I thought I'd never see this day come I remember watching parts of GE999 on sci fi channel when they had a marathon of various anime titles when I was much younger although I distinctly remember it being dubbed either way I'll be looking forward to this release
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:57 am Reply with quote
S'more sure picked out an odd pair of anime to start with. I'd love to support them in hopes that they get more interesting licenses like these but..I'm not interested in these two titles at all. Hope they do well though!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:09 am Reply with quote
Let's see how well they do in this moe market. Laughing
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:37 am Reply with quote
Oh My GOD!!! i have plushes,figures,posters, art books and video games all based on this show, i have read the entire manga online and now and now i will finally be abel to add it to my collection and have it on the shelf next to the movies.

you must excuse me for a moment while i go and weep in the corner like a little girl

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES !!!!!

*for future reference, feel free to come and torture me should this get cancelled lol
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:16 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Good luck with that. It's not a show you can marathon very easily.

You ain't kidding. On 9/9/09, I bought the first 9 episodes of 999 from Toei's download-to-own site (which was still selling individual episodes at that time and not just streaming). I still haven't finished them.

The movies are about the right size, and I bought and re-watched those. But 113 installments of a very episodic, planet-of-the-week kind of show could have limited appeal. Then again, the same is probably true of "Dirty Pair", and I guess Right Stuf did well enough with that to want the OVAs.
Bamble

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:35 am Reply with quote
A very gutsy, yet immensly welcome, license in this day and age, assuming that; S'more have genuine aspirations to release all 113 episodes, and that these releases will not simply be ports of the wretched-looking hardsubbed masters Toei have foisted upon numerous (invariably region-locked) websites.

The mention of Rhino also causes some concern, since much like Shout! Factory is currently infamous for, there were a few high-profile Rhino releases of domestic animated series that were abandoned partway through, so this doesn't necessarily inspire complete confidence upfront.

On the other hand, speaking really generally, older anime series like Galaxy Express 999 are exactly the kind of series older fans will express interest in, and those are exactly the kind of fans who still broadly support physical media, so the licensing does make some kind of sense. This is presumably the same strategy Discotek are happily employing; in both cases both companies are dealing with material that has already been fully translated, which saves some initial production cost.

My immediate concern is the format of the series' release, as in, how many episodes will we get per release, just so that they get as many episodes out on DVD in as short as time as possible, especially given the limited appeal of such an old show with no functional nostalgia base.

Mamo-chan wrote:
Wow.. just wow.
What's next? Captain Harlock TV from '78? Smile

Excellent point concerning Captain Harlock.

One would think that a far shorter series featuring a more well-known character than Maetel or Tetsuro would have been more of an attractive license.

After all, in addition to a syndicated series on U.S. TV in the 80s (admittedly given only limited-distribution), Captain Harlock also had a fair few U.S.-produced comics at one point (even if it eventually transpired they were actually unlicensed), and several releases of the newer anime featuring him were released during the U.S. boom years. Of course, that was before even the new Matsumoto-based anime like Space Symphony Maetel and Galaxy Railways II became verboten to U.S. anime licensors.

Given the items above, I can only speculate that the 1978 Harlock TV series may not have been licensed by S'more at this time as someone else may already be eyeing up the series for potential physical release. Time will tell, I guess.
jlaking

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:54 am Reply with quote
Got to wonder how many parts this will be released in, I hoping for 3 or 4.

ShanaFan852 wrote:
Hardgear wrote:
Damn, I never thought I would live to see this day. Shocked

After the disasters with Bandai and Media Blasters, the year is finally starting to look up again!
Don't forget about FUNimation sueing Sentai.

That was last year.
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
Sweet I'm a huge 999 movie fan, I'll definitely pick up the series when it comes out.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
This is great news. Maybe I'll take a trip down memory lane and watch.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Nice. What's next, Legend of the Galactic Heroes?

GE999 is a great Masako Nozawa-starred show. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4