• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ninja Scroll DVD 1-3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:40 am Reply with quote
In a review I wrote a while back, I suggested to only watch the first two dvds and then play Onimusha 2. Worst MadHouse production ever. Anyway...

Quote:
The plot wraps itself up pretty nicely

There's a plot?

Quote:
Frankly, Ninja Scroll TV succeeds in spite of itself. The director (and the character designer) just pushed the show so far over the top that you can’t help but enjoy every minute, even though you might be enjoying it for all the wrong reasons....Anyone who tries to marathon this series deserves some small amount of pity. After only two episodes, you can laugh your fool head off and move on to something else for a while. Watching all 13 episodes at once might make you tear your hair out, since the novelty will wear off before long.

If there was an alternate universe where Clockwork Orange had Alex strapped to a seat and forced to watch bad anime, this show would be it.
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:23 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Worst MadHouse production ever.

Yes sir Razz

So yeah, I should just skip over this and wait for the sequel?

Or HIGHLANDER?
Adina

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how the author can say Kitaro (composer of the opening and closing tracks) is "mostly forgotten." Besides the Golden Globe he won in 1992 for the soundtrack to Heaven and Earth, he's been nominated for seven Grammys throughout the 90's and 00's. He won in 2000 for his album "Thinking of You" and was nominated as recently as 2003/04 for his album "The Sacred Journey of Ku-Kai."

Signed,
A very loyal Kitaro fan. :)
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I just noticed the review is by Zac. Is he back with ANN now? If so, that's news to me Razz.

In any case, I've heard so much negative criticism about this series, that I'm probably just going to leave it alone. I hope the second movie is good, though..
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:55 pm Reply with quote
You and me both...

I really liked Kawajiri's movie, but then all this negative reaction towards the TV series has kept me at bay for a while

I still feel like I'm not giving it a chance though... I should try renting at least
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:28 am Reply with quote
Adina: Getting a Grammy is much of a kiss of death for your career as is getting an Oscar.

DKL: It had potential, but they really blew it in the second half by cutting back on the character development and story for a fecal demon and mindless hacking and slashing. Seriously, I'd rather they just tried to finish the story early, when they ran out of ideas, instead of dragging it out across 13 episodes. If UV had that kind of cash to blow, they should've co-produced another D or Pet Shop and put the rest of Strange Dawn and Legend of the Crystals on dvd.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:49 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Worst MadHouse production ever.
You haven't seen "Strange Dawn" then? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1