• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Guard Arrested for Stealing All 64 One Piece Manga Books

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
micvic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:46 am Reply with quote
Wow, all of them in one go?? Must've looked pretty sus.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
Stealing is stupid, stealing from where you work is retarded, and stealing from a place you actually work security for and should be aware of the placement of the camera's and still getting caught is special ed Olympics material. Rolling Eyes
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:45 am Reply with quote
Real subtle there, chief. Very Happy
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:06 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Stealing is stupid, stealing from where you work is retarded, and stealing from a place you actually work security for and should be aware of the placement of the camera's and still getting caught is special ed Olympics material. Rolling Eyes

^This.

Plus having that whole chunk missing on the shelf.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:09 am Reply with quote
That's as many as 6.4 tens.

And that's terrible.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote
Wow, only $340 for all sixty-four, huh? Really makes you look at how bad the American dollar's gotten. When sixty-four releases over here in eight months or so, just by today's standard the series will cost almost twice as much to obtain here ($640) as it does there now.

Anyway, yeah, just as the one above me said, quite the subtle job. I'm sure no one would've noticed all sixty-four volumes of a series taken out, a big, empty space (I'm at the American current, sixty, and the series by itself takes up nearly two of my shelves.) just being there. Merchandise shrink gets to be an issue when that many books are put on the shelf for just ONE series, and such a popular one at that.
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Not sure what the difference is between doing this and downloading them from a torrent site other than that he got caught? Wink

Bob (aka Robert)
President
The Anime Corner Store

Follow RACS on Twitter or Facebook
or on the RACS Official Blog
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
AnimeCornerStore wrote:
Not sure what the difference is between doing this and downloading them from a torrent site other than that he got caught?

The difference is a torrent site still has a copy to share for everyone.

These 64 manga now sit in police evidence, not the shelf of a 9 year old girl who just busted open her piggy bank, which took years to fill, to buy them.

But don't cry for her. I sent her an email to the torrent site and request she spend her money to acquire half a season of her favorite anime on bluray, since that's all she can afford.
AilisKnil

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
Wow, only $340 for all sixty-four, huh? Really makes you look at how bad the American dollar's gotten. When sixty-four releases over here in eight months or so, just by today's standard the series will cost almost twice as much to obtain here ($640) as it does there now.

It's not even just that; the American and Japanese comic markets are completely different. They can afford to sell popular manga for a lower price.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

Hey, I know you don't mean nothing by it, but that's really not fair to special ed kids. Laughing More willfully ignorant stupidity and atrocities have been and continue to be perpetrated in this world by "regular" folks like you and me with full possession and access to their critical faculties, than by these innocent, unwillingly disadvantaged kids. Just saying, they're not even in the same league.

AnimeCornerStore wrote:
Not sure what the difference is between doing this and downloading them from a torrent site other than that he got caught? Wink

It's like the difference between stealing $100 from a bank and pushing a button from a remote location that does the same thing. The latter is easier, the benefits immediate, the consequences ambiguous, the ethical/legal ramifications ignorable, and with ubiquitous perpetration individual prosecution becomes nigh impossible and the perceived moral culpability is spread thin (hey... everybody's doing it Laughing ). What scares me are the people who think they have a right to do so... and have gone so far as to actually, literally make a religion around it to acquire legal sanction (Kopimism in Sweden). Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1