• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses High School DxD TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
opn wrote:

ya i know but it would be a nice and welcome chance of pace if funi licensed something OTHER then shows like this and titles like anohana keep getting the shove for this im just saying some variety would be nice.

They take small chances occasionally and then see how it goes. Although they seemingly come up with wide ranging policies on limited samples. LIke the way that Big Windup failed spectacularly... so no more sports shows. Stuff like that.

I bet their current "exploratory" license is Princess Jellyfish. And I bet a lot is riding on the success or failure of its release. I actually wonder if they're sitting on the rights to a couple Noitamina shows (as part of their deal with them) and are waiting to see if Princess Jellyfish does well enough to fully license further shows that don't consist of Boobies and/or Ass-kickings.

If you want more variety- buy Princess Jellyfish.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
as fun as I am having with this show... but really?? oh well.. I am still waiting for my strike witches 2 box set, any day now
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nebs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Funico was a giant failed experience. Barely any of the shows last season got more than 500 views per episode, when the rips of them got 3-5k downloads each. Its best just to abandon that partnership for now

Mind you, those were just the views on NicoNico. It doesn't include the views on Funimation.com or Hulu, where the shows were also streamed. Those two were probably a lot higher.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
opn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
opn wrote:

ya i know but it would be a nice and welcome chance of pace if funi licensed something OTHER then shows like this and titles like anohana keep getting the shove for this im just saying some variety would be nice.

They take small chances occasionally and then see how it goes. Although they seemingly come up with wide ranging policies on limited samples. LIke the way that Big Windup failed spectacularly... so no more sports shows. Stuff like that.

I bet their current "exploratory" license is Princess Jellyfish. And I bet a lot is riding on the success or failure of its release. I actually wonder if they're sitting on the rights to a couple Noitamina shows (as part of their deal with them) and are waiting to see if Princess Jellyfish does well enough to fully license further shows that don't consist of Boobies and/or Ass-kickings.

princess jellyfish has been on my watch list for awhile now mostly cause its noitamina and i haven't been able to start it yet but if i like it enough i'll defenitly buy the release. Very Happy
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
opn wrote:

Yes I'm hoping for Tatami Galaxy to be a Funi title, that show would benefit from a dub.

Eh... typical Funimation. I'd hate to say it but most of the shows their licensing now I'm not interested in.

The only shows I can think that interest me are Steins Gate, and Princess Jellyfish are the only two I can see purchasing from them. As a .hack fan I'm still skeptical about Quantum, better animation but still typical .hack story. I wish Funi could go back and look at some older shows that were popular back in the day.

I wonder if shows like "Hajime No Ippo" could be picked up by Discotek or S'mores since they would have a small print run.
Annf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:
I expect the streams to be heavily censored.

Yeah I'd assume they'll be using the terrestial broadcast version.
This blog has caps showing what that looks like: (NSFW I guess. I dunno, I work at home, everything's SFW to me.)
http://shino134.blog22.fc2.com/blog-entry-2719.html
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

I have a standing preorder for it at TRSI. It isn't the company that drives choices like Highschool DxD, it's the fact that these titles sell, so buying Princess Jellyfish is one way to 'fight back'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I love Funimation...but honestly I wanna see them license more better quality shows rather than these disgusting panty-shot, harem, ecchi, boob crap- They are all horrible anyway, they only seem to aim this kind of stuff to the fat american otaku's that sit at home and do nothing with their life...

~This season hands-down goes to Sentai, they are licensing good quality, amazing shows. Stuff like Angel Beats! and Clannad are the golden pieces of my collection- plus I can't wait to get my hands on some of the new shows like Inu x Boku: SS and Another.

If Funimation could pick up shows like Black Rock Shooter, Bakemonogatari, or even some other new show like that Daily Lives of High School Boys shows which is hilariously funny, Nisemonogatari, or like someone said Aquarion...there isn't much left in this season since Sentai licensed more than half of it x_x!.

Oh well, though... they still got top shows like One Piece, Fairy Tail, Darker than Black etc...etc...I can't wait till Guilty Crown get's released.

P.S...they should hurry up and release the Toaru Series... since well it's been a year and a half since they announced it's license and up to now Nothing...
machetecat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I ask for much, but can we PLEASE get some shit that's not about boobs or boys falling on all the boobs or boys bitching because the boobs/a-cup cutie with a special talent only HE can bring out of her is making him save the world?

Can we maybe get a goddamn comedy where the stupid ass joke isn't 90%"HaHa! He fell on her and touched her boob!" or "HaHa! He fell down and accidentally took her skirt with him when he tried to reach out for something to stop his fall!" or "HaHa! He fell down and his face fell in her boobs/she hugged him and her boobs are suffocating her!" ANYTHING???!?!?!?
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
I don't think I ask for much, but can we PLEASE get some shit that's not about boobs or boys falling on all the boobs or boys bitching because the boobs/a-cup cutie with a special talent only HE can bring out of her is making him save the world?

Can we maybe get a goddamn comedy where the stupid ass joke isn't 90%"HaHa! He fell on her and touched her boob!" or "HaHa! He fell down and accidentally took her skirt with him when he tried to reach out for something to stop his fall!" or "HaHa! He fell down and his face fell in her boobs/she hugged him and her boobs are suffocating her!" ANYTHING???!?!?!?

Yes. As previously mentioned, you're asking for Princess Jellyfish/Kuragehime. Go vote with your dollars and pre-order it (still on sale for another day or two on Right Stuf). Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, clearly I'm a crowd of one, but I'm glad to hear this. I dig the show and I'll be interested to watch it with a dub. I don't automatically like shows that have fanservice (I loathed Heaven's Lost Property, for example) but I'm liking this one. Come on, how can you not love a show where a demon is such an inept newbie that he has to answer a conjuring call by riding a bicycle to the location? Laughing

As the Greeks say, "Oppai!"

Oh and let's not forget that Funi is running up some serious lawyers bills, so they need the cheddar.
machetecat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:

Yes. As previously mentioned, you're asking for Princess Jellyfish/Kuragehime. Go vote with your dollars and pre-order it (still on sale for another day or two on Right Stuf). Wink
I am! I already have that planned!

I'm just thinking of next year, when the Fall 2011 and this Spring's shows start getting DVD releases... I'm not gonna wind up buying ANYTHING from them next year at this rate... and that's what's really making me upset.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yes. As previously mentioned, you're asking for Princess Jellyfish/Kuragehime. Go vote with your dollars and pre-order it (still on sale for another day or two on Right Stuf)
I wish I could, but there are exactly 8 million reasons why I can't do that any longer. It's a shame too as I was looking forward to what could have been a good Genshiken dub (IMHO the actual Genshiken dub left much to be desired), though I've been informed that Princess Jellyfish in terms of "plot" and characters pales in comparison to Genshiken, so I'll just try and reaffirm that so I don't feel so bad that I can no longer pre-order it from Funi. Sour grapes, cognitive dissonance, whatever Wink

Maybe, someday, it'll make it to netflix. I could stand watching it there. Naturally my Funimation Elite video subscription died the moment ANN ran the lawsuit news blurb.

I guess I'm voting with my dollar for the better cause here. Sad Sad
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
wow, seems like a few people get offended that, huh, THIS IS A BUSINESS.

First Rule: Buy Low, Sell High

The Jp. industry cranks this stuff out and so licensing may be quite cheap. Like Sekirei... Funi figures it will sell well... because they are in the business to make money.

Not to satisfy the whims of snobs. They dun care if you are an Otaku that likes oppai, or a snob that likes a niche show like TatamiG, as long as your money is green.

The thing is, there seem to be substantially more "fat american otaku" willing to pay cash, than someone that likes more obscure titles... My understanding is that Sekirei did quite well...

Now, how would it be if Funi does a bang up job with this new oppai title, with enough profit that they can take a chance on a narrow title like TatamiG or Bakemonogatari? A title that is an expensive license and maybe won't make too much profit...

Wouldn't that make this a Win/Win?

Email Funi and indicate nicely that you would be willing to buy what you consider higher quality titles, and you hope they get them, and you never know what might happen.

Bitch and complain? And get exactly what you want. Nothing.

remember that you are not OWED stuff. and boutique labels bring high quality but low numbers of titles.

And don't forget to tip your waitstaff...
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
OK - this show is focussed almost entirely on tits. It's probably going to be a very stupid show that'll annoy the crap out of me.

However ...

1. So far only two characters in the main group have unbelievably large breasts. Out of the main group of characters, we're talking <50% - that's an incredible ratio for a show like this. And the remaining characters are not all lolis. And the breasts are at least not unattractive (unlike say ... Maken-Ki last season where they were horrendous).

2. If you ignore the fanservice, the second episode actually was kinda amusing.

3. As pointed out above, there is equal-opportunity nudity in this episode. spoiler[But the protaganist didn't get to have sex - looks like the naked hugging was necessary to heal him.]

So I'm not willing to write this off quite yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7