• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses High School DxD TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeserkerXII

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I understand Sentai Filmworks or Media Blasters licensing this, of all things, but did it HAVE to be Funimation? Mad
siradix

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Naked chicks sell well in the US, especially when it is not considered hentai. I personally want to see Daily Lives of High School Boys picked up.

Last edited by siradix on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised. I expect the random shafts of of divine chastity light will make their appearance again in full force to ruin another show though. Crying or Very sad
Mc-Taz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I knew this would be one of their licenses of the season. What I didn't expect was Sentai knocking down the majority of the other shows like dominoes.

I guess this is Funi's way to fight censorship today. Laughing
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
BeserkerXII wrote:
I understand Sentai Filmworks or Media Blasters licensing this, of all things, but did it HAVE to be Funimation? Mad

Really? If you ask me, each of those 3 companies nowadays is likely of getting this title. It just so happens FUNi got it.
thaivuN

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Boobs sell for Funimation lol
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
What the hell, Funimation. Your licensing THIS when epics like Mawaru Penguindrum haven't been picked up yet?!?! Do you know how much more money you would make off of that, rather than this piece of garbage?!
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Funico was a giant failed experience. Barely any of the shows last season got more than 500 views per episode, when the rips of them got 3-5k downloads each. Its best just to abandon that partnership for now

Callin' shenanigans on that. This is impossible for a fan to accurately judge on his or her own because we have no idea what kind of traffic FUNimation gets on its website, or the views via Hulu. While the lack of plays on NicoNico sucks (I find the video quality satisfactory) it isn't as straightforward to use as either site, and it certainly hasn't been marketed as the ideal destination for a brand new show. Which it isn't. I really don't get the comment feature over the video, which I always turn off, or the insignificant paywall for episodes that are more than a week old.

As for the outcry over this title, come on. I hate it. But FUNimation has been licensing a diversity of titles for years now. Fans are supposed to be used to it at this point. For every Master of Martial Hearts and High School DxD there is a RideBack and a Princess Jellyfish, and more. The pure cheesecake is a fraction of their catalog.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
BeserkerXII

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
BeserkerXII wrote:

Really? If you ask me, each of those 3 companies nowadays is likely of getting this title. It just so happens FUNi got it.

I understand Sekirei being a popular pick, but at least that was a more bona-fide harem anime than an "excuse" like this. If I hear Issei's dying words in English, the laughter I will release will be based off of shame rather than hilarity. After this, I'm surprised nobody wanted to claim Seikon no Qwaser beforehand (now I'm getting the ominous feeling that it will happen).
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I really would like to see some more recent titles released from Funi instead of holding on to them forever first. I wish they would license more. They certainly do their releases well, but it is annoying when they get only a few of the shows each season. I wonder if they could ever do a run of sub only blurays, then a dub edition at a later point.

This show looked alright, I think I will watch it at some point.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
i think most people called on Funimation for this one. Funimation will probably up Aquarion Evol too and few CR anime for dvd/bluray later.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
BeserkerXII wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
BeserkerXII wrote:

I understand Sekirei being a popular pick, but at least that was a more bona-fide harem anime than an "excuse" like this. If I hear Issei's dying words in English, the laughter I will release will be based off of shame rather than hilarity. After this, I'm surprised nobody wanted to claim Seikon no Qwaser beforehand (now I'm getting the ominous feeling that it will happen).

If anyone claims that show with all the loli fan service/bdsm then i will eat my own shoe. Strike witches and dance in the vampire bund at least were not as hardcore this series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BeserkerXII

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
I really would like to see some more recent titles released from Funi instead of holding on to them forever first. I wish they would license more. They certainly do their releases well, but it is annoying when they get only a few of the shows each season.

I looked at their new Sengoku Basara 2 clips and one of their YT tags says "Brave 10." I dunno what that's suppose to say other than "recognize the tag? Yup, we totally licensed Brave 10." But I digress.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love the wailing and gnashing of teeth that accompanies Funimation licensing another title with an abundance of T&A.

Is anyone really surprised by this? I'm certainly not, as earlier this month on CR, I put this as the top expected title for new Funico simulcasts for this season (although the "Nico" seems to completely missing from this one thus far).

For all the fuss that was made of the Funico joint venture last season, it is starting to appear it was little more than "sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Spotlesseden wrote:
i think most people called on Funimation for this one. Funimation will probably up Aquarion Evol too and few CR anime for dvd/bluray later.

I expect there will be one more simulcast, and Aquarion Evol is the title at the top of my short list of three. (Senhime Zesshou Symphogear and Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou are the other two...with the latter being there primarily because it would explain why CR doesn't have it).
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Roxas4ever wrote:
What the hell, Funimation. Your licensing THIS when epics like Mawaru Penguindrum haven't been picked up yet?!?! Do you know how much more money you would make off of that, rather than this piece of garbage?!

You are terribly delusional and have no conception of economics if you think that Penguindrum would sell more than this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7