• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: S'more Entertainment Adds Galaxy Express 999 TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
LOVE ALL THE RETRO RELEASES! Keep up the good work S'mores. I love this new relationship that S'mores and Toei got going. I would DEFINITELY like to see the Captain Harlock series and the Mazinger series get PROPER releases. DO IT PLEASE. Very Happy
yamiangie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
So I'm the only one that thinks that Galaxy express 999 TV isn't something worth owning on DVD. I mean I've tried I can't get past episode 30. I've got the movie I'm happy with that.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
So I'm the only one that thinks that Galaxy express 999 TV isn't something worth owning on DVD. I mean I've tried I can't get past episode 30. I've got the movie I'm happy with that.

It's unlikely that you are the only person who thinks that [insert any anime ever made] isn't worth owning on DVD.
lem

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
jrnemanich wrote:
YES!!! I can't wait to own this.

same here. It's cool that they're taking a chance on older works. I'll be more than happy to support them with my discretionary $$ as long as they respect the material and do the best they can with the release.

penguintruth wrote:
Nice. What's next, Legend of the Galactic Heroes?

now that would be something. I'd love to pick that up too.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
yamiangie wrote:

It's unlikely that you are the only person who thinks that [insert any anime ever made] isn't worth owning on DVD.

it's 112 episodes i can't see them getting to the end of the release.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
yamiangie wrote:

it's 112 episodes i can't see them getting to the end of the release.

Fist of the North Star recently got completed and that is 152 episodes and Yu Yu Hakusho was as well (and is 112 episodes as well) a while ago by Funi and that has done pretty well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Huh? I thought FUNimation had GE999 TV series. Weren't they were streaming it at one time?

As for Legend of Galactic Heroes;
main series had 110 episodes
Gaiden had 24 episodes
Gaiden Spiral Labyrinth had 28 episodes
And two movies.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
Oh! I know a GREAT anime they could license!

DIGIMON!!! (all seasons)
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Huh? I thought FUNimation had GE999 TV series. Weren't they were streaming it at one time?

Funimation streams a lot of series they don't have physical media rights to. Streaming and digital rights don't always equate DVD or bluray rights. Toei has also been offering the series for DTO on PSN and others.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
S'more sure picked out an odd pair of anime to start with. I'd love to support them in hopes that they get more interesting licenses like these but..I'm not interested in these two titles at all. Hope they do well though!

I'm sure most here would not be interested in anything else they've got like Mr. Peepers!

enurtsol wrote:
Let's see how well they do in this moe market. Laughing

Which I don't care for.

I see S'more was founded by some of the guys who worked for Rhino's video label previous, so I'm sure they know what they're doing. A lot of alumnus from Rhino tend to leave their mark quite well in what they release.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
If there was something more unlikely I wish a company like S'more would tackle, I'd love to see something from Nippon Animation's "World Masterpiece Theater" personally (or Future Boy Conan).
Tetsuryu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit on the edge in terms of buying this.

I mean, Galaxy Express 999 was the first anime I ever saw, so it will always hold a special place in my heart. But after watching the entire series earlier this year, I'm gonna have to go with yamiangie here - this series really isn't very good. I mean, I knew I was gonna watch a series about a steam train in space, but there's practically no sense of continuity between episodes, to a point where it seriously disturbs the suspension of disbelief - it's not quite so notable early on, but it becomes increasingly jarring as the series progresses and it can't even make up it's mind about some of it's morals!

I feel I should buy this solely to support future oldschool anime releases, not because I want to watch it again.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Is it being episodic really messing with the suspension of disbelief? Did you mean it interrupts the pacing our something? I mean the show is about people riding a train with a few dozen stops so it makes sense that episodes deal with what happens on those stops. But more than that... the show is about a steam engine in space where people hang out the windows to get fresh air... in space. A train having stops is more unbelievable than that?
Tetsuryu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Is it being episodic really messing with the suspension of disbelief? Did you mean it interrupts the pacing our something? I mean the show is about people riding a train with a few dozen stops so it makes sense that episodes deal with what happens on those stops. But more than that... the show is about a steam engine in space where people hang out the windows to get fresh air... in space. A train having stops is more unbelievable than that?

I mean that the show has a terrible sense of consistency, especially in terms of it's own in-universe rules. It's like the writers never had more than a basic idea of the premise and there was no story bible to prevent them from writing stories that would wildly contradict each other. Early on, people trying to steal Tetsuro's ticket is a very common plot device, but then they start stacking up new, unheard of company regulations that make such theft increasingly difficult, meaning the thieves getting away with it was never a likely scenario to begin with. But it's even worse when it suddenly presents the viewer with such a rule and then proceeds to ignore it in all the subsequent episodes!

Like the circumstances under which a passenger is permitted on board without a ticket. In one episode, just having an abusive husband is apparently enough - but in another, having the entire planet about to blow up isn't!

The one example though that in particular stuck out was where Tetsuro and Maetel are kidnapped (this also happens a lot, by the way) and apparently the company has a regulation that obliges them to send an armored train to basically threaten to blow up the entire planet if they're not returned; not only has this never happened before, it proceeds to be never mentioned again!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4