• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Mission Critical

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:55 am Reply with quote
OH OH OH! We (in an unoffical manner) watched that Space Pirates show today at the uni's otaku club~! It was pretty decent!

I'd watch another episode.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:46 am Reply with quote
vinamara wrote:

And I've been wondering if The Stream is dead because I thought I could join Bamboo in her gushing after watching Chihaya's match with Queen Shinobu.

Nah, it'll be back on Tuesday! No point running it during the Preview...

DmonHiro wrote:
The "suck dick to live" part ... wasn't mentioned past episode 1, and maybe one more time in episode 10 or 11... What, because they maybe implied it one time over 13 episode invalidates absolutely everything?

No, you're right. Just because they only mentioned twice that she has to suck dick to live, doesn't mean it should stand out at all.

"Thomas Edison was really great. He was an innovator, a technological beacon, a huge advocate of creative thought in Western society, and a well-respected businessman. He also sucked dick to live."
"Wait, what?"
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:03 am Reply with quote
Let's just leave out the part that it's a story about succubus and ignore any sort of carnal context that would normally bring up.
Annf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:17 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Okay, I think we've gone quite far enough with the "skirts in space" issue, on both sides of it. Unless you actually have something new to say about it, that topic is done.

I think I do.

There's comedic concept of the "fool" and the "straight man."
In Japanese, this is described in terms of "boke"--the foolish acts/lines themselves--and "tsukkomi," the act of calling out the foolishness, which the straight man performs.

You can have your audience play the role of the straight man. You can put elements in your story to deliberately evoke a "hey, wait a minute, lol" reaction from the audience. Strike Witches's "they're just really short pants" is an example of this. Outlandish b-movie comic books with cyborg ninjas fighting Nazi zombies goes for this.

The title of the original novel is "Miniskirt Pirates." It's right there in the name itself. That's no accident; the silliness of skirts in zero-G is undoubtedly intentional. It's a concept that will get attention, just like other gimmicks such as a high school girl in search of 100 sex partners or a ten-year-old succubus.

The audience gets to snark about the fundamental issue of skirts in space. They also get to snicker about specific scenes where so-and-so's panties must have been visible to other characters present, or to lament that they themselves wish they were standing in the right spot.
The "I can almost see it but can't" fetishists are getting the teasing they love from the camera coming close but not quite showing their underwear. And the old-school panty-glimpse hunters who disparage modern overt panty anime get to hunt for more spots to freeze-frame like that scene in the cafe at the end of episode 1.

Some people may hate this kind of silliness, feeling that it's cheap and juvenile, or just generally dislike audience meta-humor and find it interferes with suspension of disbelief. But it is in any case calculatedly intentional, not an accidental byproduct of poor writing or not thinking things through.
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:21 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
"Thomas Edison was really great. He was an innovator, a technological beacon, a huge advocate of creative thought in Western society, and a well-respected businessman. He also sucked dick to live."
"Wait, what?"
I spit out my drink.

Anyway, hearing the discussion on burnout and overconsumption was very interesting for me. Like most people, when I initially got into anime I'd watch almost anything. Then, once I started following the new seasons' releases (and yeah, watching fansubs) I probably watched 3-5 series every season. Now I'm lucky if I find 1 or 2 I'm even vaguely interested in. The entirety of my 2011 anime-viewing was 7 titles: Redline, Tiger & Bunny, Kuragehime, Sekaiichi Hatsukoi, No.6, Natsume Yuujinchou San, and Level E.

Having focused on other forms of entertainment that tend to have a much higher success rate in pushing my buttons (in a good way) I've just become extremely selective about what anime I'll spend my time on (and by "selective" I don't mean to imply I have super-sophisticated taste, as to which my 2011 picks may or may not attest). I've become perfectly fine with picking out the titles with obvious appeal to me and really don't feel obligated to watch whatever's hot or even highly-regarded. And I think I'm much happier for it. It's like I've reached an equilibrium in my personal anime fandom.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:22 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
No, you're right. Just because they only mentioned twice that she has to suck dick to live, doesn't mean it should stand out at all. "

They NEVER mentioned needing to suck dick to live. NEVER. Not even once. They mentioned "life essence", which has been used in countless other shows. Did you guys even WATCH the show, or are you basing all your opinions on the extremely poorly written synopsis that I've read everywhere on the internet? If you want to look as informed as you think you are, you should do more research.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:55 am Reply with quote
I decided to watch papa after hearing this show episode 2 is a LOT better. there is actually NO fanservice in it other then the carry over from the previous episode's Rolling Eyes incident Rolling Eyes with the bathroom. but the rest of the episode was actually good and did explain a lot of stuff, for example THEY DID NOT leave on their trip with a wink nudge, they left him to babysit for less then a day, with prepared food that only required heating. after that wen well, they asked him to watch them for the week, and then he gets stuck with them. the other thing is that nothing seems to be moving forward with the relationship between sora and yuuta kinda like the relationship between the main heronine of summer wars and the uncle who causes all the trouble.

I will be the first to say that episode 1 and the very beginning of episode 2 should have been left on the cutting room floor. but to draw the inevitable comparison to bunny drop it is a HECK of a LOT MORE believable way for him to become their guardians, and it is actually a well explained why he does it, unlike bunny drop. however I highly doubt this will be anywhere close to as good as bunny drop, and like bunny drop it has a weird/ art style that fails. while I got used to bunny drops. I am not going to get used to papa's I think. my mother LOVED bunny drop, so if this continues to get better or stays at the level of episode 2 I will probably editing out the BEEP from episode 1 and the begining of episode 2 and make it one long episode to show it to her and my dad. astarote's toy ended poorly and I got pretty annoyed with it , and this seems to be doing something similar to episodes 3-5?? of that. and if it is I Definitely want to that. because that since it had one of the best messages about parenting child relationships I had seen since kodocha, (Note this was before bunny drop which easily surpassed that).

P.S. they latter went back in astrolate and said it was that she had to kiss to suck life existance. there where many parts of that show I WISHED THEY'D cut. that and her age being so young are definitely my top two things. also I think I should mention that I hate 96% of lolicon and thought it was a good thing that funi edited dance in the vampire bund and wish I could buy a cheap edited version of the dub. since I found the action and "politics of the vampire kingdom"(my personal name for it), to be interesting.
I am also for treating pronographic manga with preteen/early teens as the same thing as child pronography. (I assume everyone here can figure out what level something would have to be, to be pronographic, here's a hint hentai).

Poonok if you watched level E you should watch HunterxHunter by the same author, it is also good and pretty creative.
rti9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:54 am Reply with quote
Zac mentioned that Lagrange and Bodacious Space Pirates have the same director, but that isn't exactly right. Lately on the encyclopedia section of the forum there has been a discussion on what should be the level of importance and what is the true meaning of the role series director.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:50 am Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:

Hearing Bamboo mention that at one point in her reviewing that she had relied on a checklist, I realized that I've been starting to fall into that same trap in my reviews. I definitely need to work on getting myself out of that trap. Thanks, Bamboo. I needed that wake up call.

I've noticed that I have been falling in that trap as well when writing reviews as well. I am working on a review right now and after hearing Bamboo mention the checklist I said to myself "I'm doing that". Yea I need to work on not doing the checklist writing anymore. I only seem to fall into that when I do full reviews. I have no issues when I do first thought writings for each new season, or when I do opinion articles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote
Regarding the possibility for a home video release of Chihayafuru, I might have agreed with Zac a couple of years ago, but given the titles NISA has been licensing, I think there is a real chance of getting this on BD or DVD. Look at NISA's newest titles: Kimi ni Todoke and Sarai-ya Goyou/House of Five Leaves. One is Shoujo comedic school romance, the other is niche-iest of niche. Is a title about a bunch of kids who learn about life and love while playing a competitive Japanese card game really that different? There's no guarantee of a license, but I honestly think there's better than a snowball's chance in Hell.

If people want this show, they're just going to have to show that there's a demand for it in this market. That means regularly watching the streams on Crunchyroll (found here, guys -- even if you're watching this through less than legitimate means, at least give the episodes clickthroughs if you're not region-blocked) and lobby the various anime distribution companies (again, NISA seems a prime target). Kuragehime/Princess Jellyfish didn't have a chance either, but thanks to consumer demand, FUNi is giving us a BD/DVD combo next month, as evidenced by the current ANN skin ad.

Crazier things have happened.
Saffire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Everybody says that every new season is the worst ever; looking at the lineup this season it looks solid enough for me. At least it appears that the tsunami of "cute X doing everyday things that you should laugh at" series is starting to slow.
Replacing that with "boobs thrust in your face at every opportunity even if it makes no sense" isn't really an improvement for a lot of people. Think about how many shower scenes there are in just the first episodes of the new anime and you'll get a decent idea of why people are a little irked.
The Coffee God wrote:
Speaking of Bodacious Space Pirates...
Are we ever going to get the Spotlight for that?
Probably not, since the spotlights are supposed to go up before the show airs. If they didn't do one, it's because the creators didn't reply to their request.
DmonHiro wrote:
They NEVER mentioned needing to suck dick to live. NEVER. Not even once. They mentioned "life essence", which has been used in countless other shows. Did you guys even WATCH the show, or are you basing all your opinions on the extremely poorly written synopsis that I've read everywhere on the internet? If you want to look as informed as you think you are, you should do more research.
They're basing it on the first episode (you did watch the first episode, right?). The term used is "life seed", and the show makes it blatantly obvious what that refers to. Also that you need to "suck it out" of a male. It's all in the first 10 minutes of the show.

And if you really want to do "research", read the first 10 pages of the manga, which DOES spell it out. It was just reworded in the anime since you can't say that stuff outright on TV.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
ljaesch wrote:

Hearing Bamboo mention that at one point in her reviewing that she had relied on a checklist, I realized that I've been starting to fall into that same trap in my reviews. I definitely need to work on getting myself out of that trap. Thanks, Bamboo. I needed that wake up call.

I've noticed that I have been falling in that trap as well when writing reviews as well. I am working on a review right now and after hearing Bamboo mention the checklist I said to myself "I'm doing that". Yea I need to work on not doing the checklist writing anymore. I only seem to fall into that when I do full reviews. I have no issues when I do first thought writings for each new season, or when I do opinion articles.

The same with me as well. I haven't done many reviews/previews myself but this did strike a bit of nerve with me. My taste are little more open to others and I am willing to accept certain series over others.. "I did like kiss x sis for what it was a perv ass show with little/no merit just durr hurr" However I should narrow down more what I do like the most and stick to reviewing that also after watching lotte's toy's.. well this is the felling i got.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Personally I found Rinne no Lagrange to be pretty good. It's an 8/10 show for me.

For me, this season isn't all that bad. Worst season I'd say is probably Summer 2010 (I've been watching anime seasonally since the Fall 2009 season.), but Summer usually has little that interests me, and what does isn't all that good. It's just like a 7/10, or 6/10.

My current ranking of the Winter 2012 season and the score I gave them so far on MAL:
1. Moretsu Pirates (8/10)-Seen episode 1 only, have yet to watch 2 (Will today.).
2. Rinne no Lagrange (8/10)-Seen episodes 1 and 2.
3. Inu x Boku SS (8/10)-Seen episode 1 only.
4. Brave 10 (7/10)-Seen episode 1 only.
5. Ano Natsu de Matteru (7/10)-Seen episode 1 only.
6. Another (6/10)-Seen episode 1 only.

High School DxD I haven't seen, but I'm intending to.
--------------------
Now on Shakugan no Shana III (Final), personally it's pretty much around the "This is trash." line. This is a major disappointment. I greatly enjoyed seasons 1 and 2 (Both 9/10 shows for me.), but season 3, that is a major letdown. It's currently a 6/10 show for me currently (Episode 14 made it go down to a 5/10, but episode 15 saved it, and made it go up to a 6/10.).
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

DmonHiro wrote:
The "suck dick to live" part ... wasn't mentioned past episode 1, and maybe one more time in episode 10 or 11... What, because they maybe implied it one time over 13 episode invalidates absolutely everything?

No, you're right. Just because they only mentioned twice that she has to suck dick to live, doesn't mean it should stand out at all.

"Wait, what?"

MACRO'D.

Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Now, see, that's something about Edison you wouldn't learn from Wikipedia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8