• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime fan vs. anime fan: Have you exprienced it?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sebow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Great...

Just what our hobby needed: To be ascended into religion status and have an article writer, who thinks she is the resurrected body of Christ, preach about our need to be all-inclusive towards each others.

There's a simple answer to all this, really.

Do you shun other people because of a negligible deviance compared to yourself? You're an asshole QED.

Do you let other people's criticism of your hobbies get to you? You're a hysterical bitch QED.

Last edited by Sebow on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Sebow wrote:
Great...

Just what our hobby needed: To be ascended into religion status and have an article writer, who thinks he is the resurrected body of Christ, preach about our need to be all-inclusive towards each others.

A couple things.

1) Where are you getting this "religion status" idea from the article?

2) I'm pretty sure Victoria is a female name.

3) Because someone is suggesting more tolerance, that means they're a deluded messiah-wannabe?

4) Why is preaching about being all-inclusive a bad thing?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Fan vs. fan is immensely common in anime fandom. Hell, you can simply do this:

1. walk into an area where anime fans are common (say, a con)

2. Say you like the dub of [popular anime]

3. Watch as everything goes to hell

It's sad. And hilarious.
Sebow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Sebow wrote:
Great...

Just what our hobby needed: To be ascended into religion status and have an article writer, who thinks he is the resurrected body of Christ, preach about our need to be all-inclusive towards each others.

A couple things.

1) Where are you getting this "religion status" idea from the article?

2) I'm pretty sure Victoria is a female name.

3) Because someone is suggesting more tolerance, that means they're a deluded messiah-wannabe?

4) Why is preaching about being all-inclusive a bad thing?

1) She's essentially preaching in the article and trying to carry a message of tolerance and inclusion, to replace alienation and elitism, towards those marginally different, she's jerking around the issue by being benevolent, instead of realizing the simple truth: You can't stop the ass-holes.

2) I'm pretty sure you're right.

3) To actually sit down and write an article this wordy that carries an agenda of trying to change the community? When you think you can actually instill more tolerance into a subset of people who are ass-holes on a fundamental level, YES, then you're a deluded messiah-wannabe (and incredibly arrogant), the simple truth: You can't stop the ass-holes.

4) It's not a bad thing, it's a waste of time, the simple truth: You can't stop the ass-holes.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I think alot of the problem ( If there even is one) is the way that anime series can sometimes be very indesisive in thier content and plot resolutions. There are many many series that leave alot of questions that fans naturally have to have answers to.

Evangelion is one of the most indesisive shows out there with one of the most indesisive protagonists ever. It isnt so much that there isnt an answer but more that there are too many answers.

Love triangles in anime these days are almost never resolved. Relationships hinted at in series are never solidified so as to either keep interest or not rock the boat too much ect. We will never know if Asuka was really awake when shinji ........well you get my point.

The urge to impose our own ideas on a story that hasn't given us all the answers we want will always cause havok. At the end of the day even in heated arguments I think in reality both parties still enjoy the exsperience as it's an opputunity to express yourself about something you love doing or watching.

People love arguing but not so much listening and thats just human nature. Its always going to be that way in reality. The internet is unfortunatly one of those places that greatly confuses things and situations more so than if you were talking to people in person. People have more confidence online and generally things go down hill quickly. Mistakes and misunderstandings about peoples feelings or intentions are nearly always the catalysts for arguments online. Where by normally you would judge alot of what someone is trying to say by the tone of thier voice, online you cannot really do this. This also happens to be one of the main problems/ reason why the dub vs sub argument always goes down hill quickly. I've not seen any arguments as such at cons ( apart from afterwards down the pub). I've always had good discussions in general out side of forums but I dont think it's neccesarilly a bad thing to sometimes have proper arguments online.

Some of the arguments I've had on here over evangelion were totally pathetic but looking back on them I enjoyed them no end as I was talking about something I loved watching. The trick is to know when to call it a day and realise that it's time to apologise and start again.........Apart from when Im right ...which is always Wink

Last edited by Ikari1 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Intensely overreact much, Sebow?

(And yes, that is a rhetorical question.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Sebow wrote:
...You can't stop the ass-holes.... You can't stop the ass-holes... You can't stop the ass-holes.

So, is this your way of saying there's nothing we can do about you?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Sebow wrote:
...You can't stop the ass-holes.... You can't stop the ass-holes... You can't stop the ass-holes.

Nice! Cool
Ikari1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sebow wrote:

..........So, is this your way of saying there's nothing we can do about you?

This is beautiful. Genius.

Quote:
I mustn't run away....I mustn't run away....I mustn't run away

Fixed

Last edited by Ikari1 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Sebow wrote:

That made me laugh so much. I love clever smart remarks like this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sebow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Sebow wrote:

Ok I admit this was pretty funny.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
i don't see any problem here. why do you care about people's opinion that much? IF people don't want to want eva movie, so be it. I don't one any new or old eva movie either. Why do you want to force people to watch it to watch it and like it. For the record, I don't like eva at all. haha

I watch Giant Killing, I don't care if people don't like the anime or trash talk soccer. I won't force people to watch or force them to agree with me.

The fan base that who has the most money will probably have to final say on all of this. This is the real world. money is very important.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:19 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I really don't much care about getting along with other anime fans. The truth is that I really have nothing in common with most of these people. We're arbitrarily forced together because both our interests fall under the umbrella of "anime" but what does that even mean? When you look at what I actually like and what most fans actually like there is little to no actual common ground. I'm not some hyperactive highschool kid who loves Naruto. I'm not some forty year old guy who's obsessed with cute little girls. Truthfully, I don't much like either of these groups of people and more often than not I wouldn't really interact with them given the choice. But I'm forced to because of the arbitrary "anime" label. So yeah, obviously we're going to split into different groups and we're going to clash. It's no different than the way fans would likely often clash if you forced two totally unrelated fandoms to interact with each other. That's essentially what anime is at the end of the day. Several unrelated groups.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:05 am Reply with quote
Mm, what ikillchicken has posted highlights the fact that conflict is human nature. If someone is easily wound up, or starts arguments on a regular basis, then they'll find ways to do that, regardless of the topic. Most people will make an effort to be patient with others, and respect the fact their views don't match up. Some people just won't. Anime is a pretty easy subject to start an argument over since it's capable of polarising opinion, more so than, say, the weather. It's also something people become quite passionate about, and it just takes one person looking to start something and it's like matches to petrol.
As if to illustrate my point...

ikillchicken wrote:
Honestly, I really don't much care about getting along with other anime fans.

... I did chuckle at this Wink
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:53 am Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
Mm, what ikillchicken has posted highlights the fact that conflict is human nature. If someone is easily wound up, or starts arguments on a regular basis, then they'll find ways to do that, regardless of the topic. Most people will make an effort to be patient with others, and respect the fact their views don't match up. Some people just won't.

Uh...okay. I'm gonna go ahead and assume that this isn't one big paragraph long personal insult directed at me even though it pretty much comes across as such. Confused

Anyway, I think you've missed my point. I'm actually saying pretty much the opposite of what you're saying. Certainly it's true that to a degree there will always be conflict in any group because that's human nature. However, in the anime fandom specifically you're going to see this to a much greater degree than usual because anime fandom basically forces together several different groups of people who don't actually have anything in common. It's not just a case of the usual and universal "dicks will be dicks". It's a phenomenon born of a specific aspect of anime.

Another example of this same phenomenon is gamers. More and more these days you're seeing that same split medium we have in anime as several different groups, casual gamers, FPS/bro gamers and more traditional nerd gamers are all squeezed together by the label "gamer" despite really having next to nothing in common.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4