• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Lia's Vocaloid Voice Sings Lia's Air Theme 'Tori no Uta'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite songs (my favorite opening theme) butchered by synthetic vocals?

Ugh... I really don't want to listen. But I know I will eventually.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. I don't expect it to sound like the real deal but it still sounds great.
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Ehhh.. its good for a vocaloid, but still can't beat a real persons voice. I remember this anime, I own it sadly, the original chipboard box and 4 volumes.
Thought the Air movie was alot better than the tv series.
But why? Why are the Japanese so obsessed with creating vocaloids?
Sarukah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
One of my favorite songs (my favorite opening theme) butchered by synthetic vocals?

Ugh... I really don't want to listen. But I know I will eventually.

Thats exactly what I think about this. Anyone redoing any songs that Lia already sings in person is absolutely terrible because it just butchers it. This is all only good for people making original songs.
RiskyTheShinigami

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I wish a more talented producer had made this sample. Vocaloid songs can sound almost natural if processed correctly. This, however, just sounds like a generic Vocaloid rendition of Tori no Uta, of which there are already many.

It's just missing all the wonderful smoothness of Lia's voice.
old_yoshi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't know whats with all the hatin on vocaloids. Its way better sounding than what the previous generation of voice synthesis sounded like. I only hope the next gen is even better
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Parts of it were off, but at the points where the vocaloid was rendered correctly, she actually sounded almost identical to Lia. I think the vocaloid has the potential to approach Lia's actual level, but it needs some work.
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Ovan~the~Rebirth wrote:
Ehhh.. its good for a vocaloid, but still can't beat a real persons voice. I remember this anime, I own it sadly, the original chipboard box and 4 volumes.
Thought the Air movie was alot better than the tv series.
But why? Why are the Japanese so obsessed with creating vocaloids?

I never thought I'd meet anyone who actually preferred the movie... wow.

New things every day...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
People who didn't really follow the story and only wanted some generic romance tend to like the movie more.
Karisu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
That was way better than I expected!
You can really hear Lia's voice. Super impressed.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
That was actually really good for a vocaloid. I don't really know much about how people produce songs using vocaloids, but I am pretty sure that no one has ever produced a song that is this similar to the original. I don't know if there is a vocal term for it, but when you are playing a string instrument you can do "vibrato" to make the note sound more beautiful and less flat. IA can clearly do that with ease, unlike all the previous generations of vocaloids which all sounded flat.

To the person who didn't know why Japan is obsessed with Vocaloids, well, if you know how popular Hatsune Miku is, then the answer should be clear. What better way to promote a product than making a version that does everything better?
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
People who didn't really follow the story and only wanted some generic romance tend to like the movie more.

It's not that I didn't follow the story. I just hate how the main character turns into a stupid crow!
I get why they did it, but it f***ing annoys me that they pulled that stunt! The movie is a more generic romance, but I'm happy that my character doesn't turn into a bird!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote
No doubt the sound of future. I'm hoping Hatsune Miku's English version on Vocaloid3 is as good. Wink
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:38 am Reply with quote
Not bad though if it wasn't written it was Lia's vocaloid I would probably don't recognize. So that's the next generation(3) of vocaloid ? They are really improving Wink (but I still prefer Gumi Cool )
RiskyTheShinigami

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:59 am Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
That was actually really good for a vocaloid. I don't really know much about how people produce songs using vocaloids, but I am pretty sure that no one has ever produced a song that is this similar to the original. I don't know if there is a vocal term for it, but when you are playing a string instrument you can do "vibrato" to make the note sound more beautiful and less flat. IA can clearly do that with ease, unlike all the previous generations of vocaloids which all sounded flat.

Not true, most of the already existing Vocaloids can do vibrato as far as I'm aware. Producers who know how to work with the software can coax it into sounding more natural, by paying attention to how natural voice works and carefully emulating it.

When done properly the results can be amazing. But I've heard songs produced with even MEIKO that sound more fluid than this demo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2