• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Australian Firm Still Plans Gosick, Nichijō Releases Without Bandai Ent.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
If Funimation doesn't license-rescue it (which I really hope they do) I may have to import Gosick from Australia. I reeeally want it. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
minirop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
If Funimation doesn't license-rescue it (which I really hope they do) I may have to import Gosick from Australia. I reeeally want it. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

same here. But from the survey they did on twitter, nichijou and gosick were on the list. So I hope that means they took them.
Scormio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Would importing these from Australia be costly or hard in any way? If not, then I'm going to be.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
We need more distributors...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
Would importing these from Australia be costly or hard in any way? If not, then I'm going to be.

Both are two-cour, and it seems to be around 80-100 USD for two-cour shows.
Tratious

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Scormio wrote:

Both are two-cour, and it seems to be around 80-100 USD for two-cour shows.
most part releases by Madman are around listed at around $55(Soul Eater is listed at $69.95, and FMA:B is at $59.95) plus $8.00 S+H(which has no insurance or tracking)

You could keep checking http://madman.com.au and register your address, they ship outside Australia & New Zealand for most releases.

Last edited by Tratious on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
victor viper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote
This may be the first time in history that the words "importing anime from Australia" have been used together in a sentence.
Tratious

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:
This may be the first time in history that the words "importing anime from Australia" have been used together in a sentence.
Nah, I would say Higurashi: Kai from Siren Visual would be that
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I just noticed I don't have anything from Madman. All my R4 stuff is from Siren. Ah wait, Mind Game is Madman. Odd, the other Yuasa stuff is distributed by Siren.
burnpsy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Australia is R4... That means I don't own anything that can play it, since the PS3 seems to region-lock DVDs and Blu-Ray. D:

Importing isn't an option for me... unless there's region-free players on the market. But I want my Gosick, dammit!
gsilver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
This won't be the first time I'd buy from Austrailia, or even Madman. Siren has Dennou Coil, The Tatami Galaxy, and Kaiba, three of my recent favorite shows, and Madman has Moral Orel, which is not anime, but still a really good show. No one in the US seems interested in any of them, sadly.

Though, I'm hoping for Blu-Rays of them. The AU companies are more reluctant to release anime on Blu-Ray than they are in the US.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
burnpsy wrote:

Importing isn't an option for me... unless there's region-free players on the market.

They're easy to come by; in fact, I just purchased a multi-region DVD/Blu-ray player so I can play Region 1 DVDs and Region A Blu-rays (I'm British).
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I just noticed I don't have anything from Madman. All my R4 stuff is from Siren. Ah wait, Mind Game is Madman. Odd, the other Yuasa stuff is distributed by Siren.

Madman tends to only license stuff that has been licensed in NA (usually by Funi for the dub). I don't recall any other Madman releases being subtitle only so I'm kind of internally laughing at them here (because usually if something is sub only you can kiss the chance of Madman distributing it goodbye). Siren only kind of recently (in the last couple of years) ramped up their anime licensing, I think they would've picked up Mind Game if it wasn't already taken, kind of like how Yen Press would've loved releasing Full Metal Alchemist except they were X years too late Anime hyper

victor viper wrote:

Not for Tatami Galaxy? =O
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
ss-hikaru wrote:
...Madman tends to only license stuff that has been licensed in NA (usually by Funi for the dub). I don't recall any other Madman releases being subtitle only so I'm kind of internally laughing at them here (because usually if something is sub only you can kiss the chance of Madman distributing it goodbye)...

It suggests to me that Madman gets its raw licence from Japan and then buys dubs from America or England. Arrietty is the latest example where Madman has obtained its dub from England. I'm not aware of Madman ever selling a sub-only anime. Hey, at least we can get Gosick in some form.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FireAza

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:16 am Reply with quote
*patriotic salute*
Sup ANN? I'm from Australia, and a long-time member of the Madman Entertainment forums. Let me just begin by saying, nah na na na na na naaa! *pokes tongue out*

Ah-hem. Yeah, I'm pretty pleased that Madman is releasing two great titles that aren't coming to EagleLand.

gsilver wrote:
Though, I'm hoping for Blu-Rays of them. The AU companies are more reluctant to release anime on Blu-Ray than they are in the US.

Not true! In recent times, Madman has been releasing a LOT of titles on Blu-ray. But you know what's even better? They're the same price as the DVD version! I'm sure I read on the forums that Madman will be bringing both Gosick and My Ordinary Life out on Blu-ray, but I can't find that information at present. Their recent trend has been to release it on Blu-ray if it was released on Blu-ray elsewhere, so I don't see why they wouldn't do that here too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3