• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you prefer to buy anime New or Used?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you prefer to buy anime New or Used
Spambots be trollin, yo
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Only New
35%
 35%  [ 44 ]
Only Used
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A Combination (sometimes new, sometimes used)
58%
 58%  [ 72 ]
Other
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 124

DifferentD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:34 am Reply with quote
The majority of my manga collection is used actually.. and I would say that the majority of those books are in like new condition.. on the rare occasion that I wind up with something damaged I just get my money back and buy a new copy. There are a few series though that I follow as they are released so obviously I buy new as well.

Same thing goes for anime. I like to buy new but I will buy used anime if I get too good of a deal to pass up. Of course I have had a problem here or there with a disc that's too scratched or something but when that happens I have no problem getting my money back and finding a different copy
Shin Granzon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I use a combination. If I come across a title I want at the local Hastings I usually buy it. If it's one I've been having trouble finding, I tend not to care too much if it's used as long as the discs don't give me any problems. Manga I would buy used, but I never see any of the series I want in used format.
quikbeam1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I am a person that is rather picky with the physical state of my purchases. I like to maintain my DVDs on pristine condition, i never leave a dvd outside of its box, it is either in the DVD player or in its case. I know many people dont do that, they leave them laying around on top of the table and stuff like that. Also i have never liked the idea of buying used items for some reason. so i simply dont buy used anything with the exception of a house really. I haven't yet ran into a situation where i really wanted a DVD and it was no longer attainable new, so i cant speak on whether i would buy used dvds in a case when was unable to obtain the new ones.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:48 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I prefer to buy my anime cheap, which means a good portion is bought used. But the majority were from bargain sales and technically "new."

I like to buy my anime really cheap so I buy new only. Certain websites and stores really, really hate me..

I did buy one DVD set used but that was years ago and only my second anime purchase. The DVDs were fine, the cases were dog eared and dog chewed.

Last edited by Animegomaniac on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
The American Average

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:25 am Reply with quote
I like to buy anime when its on sale to me anime too expensive full price. or maybe its i'd rather spend my money on other things before I'd buya full priced anime
fataleflare

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
It really depends for me. If something is out of print and someone is selling it for half price used then yeah I totally would buy that. But if its a new anime that I desperately need to have right when it comes out then I'll buy it new.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Only new.

I collect anime 40% to have a nice collection of stuff that I like and 60% to support people making/licensing shows that I like. Buying used doesn't satisfy the main reason I'm even considering a purchase to begin with, so it's something I don't do.

Even if something is out of print, I'll search for other English versions that are in print (like AU or UK), check to see if the JP version is still in print and at a price I'm willing to pay, and if that fails then I just move on to something that I want to purchase that is in print and cross my fingers in hope that one day I can buy the other thing new.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I normally buy both new and used, whatever is easier for me to afford. If I buy used, I only buy whatever is in Very Good condition or better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I've only bought used once. Generally speaking I buy as a gesture of support rather than any actual desire to collect.
silencer226

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:27 pm Reply with quote
It depends, I'll only buy used when its a show that has gone out of print and can't be found new at a reasonable price. The first and so far only used anime I have bought was Serial Experiments Lain and I was satisfied though I would have preferred a new copy but when people want to charge $400 for it, I have to make do.
Judge Of Toyama

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote
I like to buy everything new because I am very picky about the condition of my collection. I realize that there are going to be some very rare shows that I will have to cave in and buy used if I ever hope to watch them. But if the discs are not in good to like new condition, I'll either pass on it or get it and keep an eye out for another copy in better shape.

On most of the newer shows released, I definately like to buy them new because sometimes they might have extra content or a pre-order bonus item. I'm a sucker for bonus items. Embarassed
Newshawk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:09 am Reply with quote
I'll buy new unless the only way I can find it is used, and only at a reasonable price. That means I don't know if I'll ever be able to complete my You're Under Arrest! Complete Collection-Have you seen what people are asking for volumes 3 and 4 now? Insane!
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
A Combination.

My preference is new, but if the anime I want is old and OOP, I will sometimes have to buy used.
mjack_15980

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote
depends on the condition of the used and if it is cheaper; as well as the mentioned above being it isn't availiable in other ways as they are older
darknessblades

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
i dount buy anime/manga

i get it online

where i get it, im not telling this, if the idiots who whant to know this how i do it, search for yourself,!!!!!!!! i dont say a thing!!!!!!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3