• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Striking While the Iron is Hot

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is it necessary for R1 companies to release shows faster?
Reserved for spambot parking
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
No
80%
 80%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 30

The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:28 am Reply with quote
I want put an emphasis on the necessary part of that question. This is a question of need, not want.

This comes up all the time when companies - particularly Funimation - don't get a release out until 6-12 months after the Japanese airing, and some people always say that by that time people who would've bought it have already lost interest. I find that to be bullshit.

If you are a person with legitimate interest in a show, you will buy it whenever it comes out, or anytime after that, but you will get it. People always want to paint this big ADD brush over the fandom, but that's ridiculous. $100 says that if Minami-ke were announced for a sub-only DVD today that everyone who wanted to buy it in 2007 would add it to their To Buy list, along will all those who hadn't previously heard of it, but are interested now. You know why? Because when you want something on DVD/BD that feeling never goes away if you had it to begin with.

Maybe that "Old News" thing is common in the group of fans who only watch shows as consumable objects and so they can keep up with current trends, but in my opinion, amongst the collector's and physical media owners, announcement dates are irrelevant. You solicit it, they will come.

Of course, that's not to say that people don't wish shows would be released faster. I've been waiting for what feels like forever for Funimation to put out Panty and Stocking, but you know what? I'm waiting - my interest hasn't faded simply because PSG is "old". For a less extreme example, I didn't watch Ookami-san as it aired, but when Funimation announced it I decided to wait for them to release it and watch it then, and 1.5 years later I'm still going to buy it because I was interested back then, and I know I'm not alone. This is proven by shows like B Gata H Kei and Princess Jellyfish being top sellers right now. They're considered old news in the fandom that only streams or downloads, but that doesn't matter to the people who have wanted to own them since they first finished airing and/or when they were licensed because their feelings don't wain due to time.

So to answer the poll question: No, I don't think it's necessary to strike while the iron's hot. If people want a show they will get it regardless of when it's coming out.

Now, I want to make clear that this about time being a factor in person's buying decisions. I know that people lose interest in shows because of negative fan reaction or bad reviews, but those aren't what I'm talking about, so lets leave that stuff out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:40 am Reply with quote
I answered in the negative. I don't have the information or acumen to judge whether quick releases are necessary as a matter of business, so I couldn't judge it on that.

I became a fan in earnest when I happened serendipitously upon the first airing of "Asteroid Blues" on Adult Swim. That is when my preferences, expectations and standards were formed. At the time, it was usual for series to be released quite a while after it had aired, in six volumes at one volume per month. The current standard of a whole, or even half, series all at once, a year and a half or more after it was aired on television is a lot quicker and more convenient than what I became accustomed to. I'm just not in any hurry.

I'm fairly discriminating as to what I buy; so a series good enough for me to want to own it will rarely loose that luster after a long wait.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
I, too, voted no.

If it's a show I want, I'll buy it when it comes out, whenever it comes out. Sure, sometimes I'd like to see some shows released more quickly, but in the end I can wait. There's a lot of Anime out there that I haven't seen, which is available right now, so it's not like I'll run out of things to watch.

I don't especially enjoy streaming, so I tend to buy my Anime on disk. If I see a show on TV that I like, I'll buy it too, if it's available. I'm not concerned about its age. The whole "If it's been out more than six months it's too old to watch" thing is a bit ADD, in my opinion. Anime doesn't have to be new to be good - I've been known to track down OOP shows from the 80's, just because they are good.

So, no, I'll acquire a show when I can - it doesn't have to be right now.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
And a negative vote from me.

If I know that I want a show I can wait. If I am definitely sure that I want the show then I would like to have it as soon as possible, but I do have enough patience (just barely) to wait. I am never going to run out of things to watch, so that is not an issue.

If I am not really sure about the show then I would actually prefer that it is not released too quickly because that gives me more time to get information about it.
I am not saying that it should be delayed just for my convenience, just that it could work better for me.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I voted no.

First, as others have said, I can wait. It is not like I will run out of shows to watch any time soon. I quit streaming anything that I know will be out on DVD or Bluray.

What is essential is that the remaining R1 companies put stuff out at a rate that will keep them in business. While some companies may have made some bonehead decisions, I doubt weather any of us is in a position to second guess what they are capable of. I'm sure that if the market for anime was in better shape, titles would be issued faster. At this point I think that Japan is producing more anime than the R1 region fans are willing to pay for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1