• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, January 15-21

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Naruto volume 53's fourth week on the top 10! Keep going! <3
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I find it odd that Viz volumes has a less expensive US price than Sailor Moon, but SM has a cheaper Canadian price than Viz.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
baadaku12345 wrote:
I find it odd that Viz volumes has a less expensive US price than Sailor Moon, but SM has a cheaper Canadian price than Viz.

The price for SM was probably set at a time when the Canadian dollar was doing better? Only explanation I can think of. Viz probably wants to keep the price on its books pretty much stable as well, especially on long-running series, so I imagine they wouldn't change the Canadian price without also changing the American one for some market reason.

Anyway, so thrilled to see the two Sailor Moon books on top of the chart, especially seeing vol 2 still be up so high. It also reminds me that I really need to read it (and pick up vol 3 for myself).
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
^ I think Kodansha prints its books in Canada, so that's probably a big factor.

Glad to see SM back up there! Vol 1 was up for so long, it was amazing to see the other volumes ever drop off the list! Still, there's been ALOT of titles released lately!
sainta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Moon strikes back! Nice Kodansha!
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:17 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised that Sailor Moon is doing so well, considering that the adaptations are absolute sh!t. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I am glad they are and while yes the translation choices in places have been a bit regrettable (the translator got an attack name wrong - Spark Ring Wide Pressure should be Sparkling Wide Pressure as it's スパークリング・ワイド・プレッシャー (supākuringu waido puresshā) not スパーク・リング・ワイド・プレッシャー (supāku ringu waido puresshā) just going by what other fans have said on the subject, not knowing an awful lot of Japanse myself but スパークリング is used in Japan for the 'sparkling' in 'sparkling drink') I would rather see this release be supported by fans to hopefully show there is a precedent for a release of the anime in the west again, rather than have people flock to scanlations and put TOEI off. I just wish that Kodansha would go back and do some fixes where mistakes have been pointed out for there reprints but apparently they aren't listening. Rolling Eyes
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
I am glad they are and while yes the translation choices in places have been a bit regrettable (the translator got an attack name wrong - Spark Ring Wide Pressure should be Sparkling Wide Pressure as it's スパークリング・ワイド・プレッシャー (supākuringu waido puresshā) not スパーク・リング・ワイド・プレッシャー (supāku ringu waido puresshā) just going by what other fans have said on the subject, not knowing an awful lot of Japanse myself but スパークリング is used in Japan for the 'sparkling' in 'sparkling drink') I would rather see this release be supported by fans to hopefully show there is a precedent for a release of the anime in the west again, rather than have people flock to scanlations and put TOEI off. I just wish that Kodansha would go back and do some fixes where mistakes have been pointed out for there reprints but apparently they aren't listening. Rolling Eyes

They also botched one of the villians' name in this volume.

Japanese: プリンス・デマンド (Prince Demand)

Kodansha: Prince Demande

ADV: Prince Dimande

DiC & Tokyopop: Prince Diamond
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:18 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
^ I think Kodansha prints its books in Canada, so that's probably a big factor.

So they do. That's rather unusual, actually. But yes, it would have to play a factor as well, since that would help with some of the distribution costs that are higher in Canada since here they have to send fewer books farther.
Wiesteria

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Not all of the works are produced in Japan.

Which ones would these be?
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
GracieLizzy wrote:

They also botched one of the villians' name in this volume.

Japanese: プリンス・デマンド (Prince Demand)

Kodansha: Prince Demande

ADV: Prince Dimande

DiC & Tokyopop: Prince Diamond

I noticed that too, nobody get's the guys name right!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1