• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[AU] anime releases not licensed/released in N. America

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:22 am Reply with quote
Wow, well I think I should indeed invest in a region free DVD player. Or I do use VLC, if that'd work, that'd be good too! Does anyone know if they used Geneon's dub for Paranoia Agent?

And wow on the stuff Siren has, Trapeze (or Welcome to Irabu's Office) and Kaiba are both things I'd buy.

There must be a site cheaper to order from, there doesn't seem to be an Amazon in Australia though. The $30 international shipping makes it seem less worth it...
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote
There is no Amazon Australia, and postage in Australia has never been as cheap as it is in America, unfortunately. Plus the AUD makes prices a bit scary when you're paying in USD. However, I'm still planning on getting Bunny Drop, both Dennou Coil sets and Tatami Galaxy at least (possibly Kaiba?) once Bunny Drop is released.

Or maybe I'll distribute the pain by not buying them all at once. I can maybe avoid the shipping for multiple packages by getting them sent to my parents' house in Sydney, and sending them the money to forward them on to me in one box...
gsilver

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote
Man, these guys are seriously plotting to destroy my wallet. I ordered The Tatami Galaxy, Dennou Coil, and Kaiba the moment I found out about them.
WTK

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
There must be a site cheaper to order from, there doesn't seem to be an Amazon in Australia though. The $30 international shipping makes it seem less worth it...

Maybe this site: JB Hifi?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:33 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Wow, well I think I should indeed invest in a region free DVD player. Or I do use VLC, if that'd work, that'd be good too! Does anyone know if they used Geneon's dub for Paranoia Agent?

And wow on the stuff Siren has, Trapeze (or Welcome to Irabu's Office) and Kaiba are both things I'd buy.

It would be great to have for those titles that we'll most likely never see over here in the states such as Denoh Coil or Higurashi no Naku Koroni Kai. On the other hand it's sometimes hard to figure out what those are, and I don't know if I want to spend another $50 bucks for a player in addition to expensive import fees for the discs when there might be a chance of a domestic release. It's a bit of a conundrum. Then there's the added nightmare of trying to connect it to the wild untamed electric jungle that is my entertainment area. I do alright with the stuff most of the time but, I'm pretty useless if have to start putting in switches and splitters to control all my devices. Shocked

Last edited by Kruszer on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tsuruya-San

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote
This is such a useful thread. I think I will invest in a cheap multi region dvd player just for Higurashi Kai alone. Not only that a Karin boxset is tempting too as it works out cheaper than getting the 3 volumes I'm missing.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:54 am Reply with quote
If you can find an Oppo dvd player they are easy to hack for multiregion dvd playback.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
via Madman Ent. Facebook page
Quote:
Q: Will you be releasing GOSICK on dvd?
A: yes we will be. Look out for it in 2012.

LINK
Quote:
Q: Madman now that Bandai Entertainment is closing down will Gosick be sub only?
Q: Nichijou as well!!??
A: If another company doesn't pick it up and release it with a dub, then yes. Both shows were originally slated to be subtitled only anyway.

LINK
Quote:
Q: Do yous have a release date for this yet [Nichijou]
A: no we don't have a release date for this yet. We will know more in a few months time. If it looks like there will be no dub, then we will just release a subtitled DVD set as soon as possible.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:26 am Reply with quote
Well, I can now play stuff from other regions. Tested it with an R4 Ikki Tousen: Dragon Destiny DVD. I might look into the Higurashi no Naku Koroni Kai if they come out.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quote
^What player are you using?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:36 am Reply with quote
I free piece of software called BlazeDVD. It's basically a region killer, that will let you play anything on your PC. It works for me since I can connect my PC to my television and use the TV as a monitor.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:05 am Reply with quote
Oooooh, I had been thinking of digging through their catalogs so I'm really glad someone else already did this, thank you!
WTK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:08 am Reply with quote
Madman Ent. | ANN AU

Digimon Adventures 02 (season 2) - planned for a June release
WTK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I will just note this here.

Vol.1 w/Artbox / Vol.1 w/Artbox (Blu-ray)

Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Do you know by chance if that artbox is a chipboard box? Or how common (if it all) it is for Madman to do chipboard artboxes?

EDIT: It's funny how the 'regular' releases have more on-disc extras than the limited one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 23