• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Taiwan Releases not Available in US

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:19 am Reply with quote
Ahhhhhh, interesting. Sounds like the letter of that law isn't enforced particularly strenuously. But it also explains why not many Taiwanese releases have English subs. I can just imagine an R3TW distrib saying, "hey, do you mind if we sling English subs on this?" and the Japanese license-holder saying, "Hmm, why would you want to do that considering YOU'RE ONLY GOING TO BE SELLING THIS IN TAIWAN, RIGHT???"
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ahhhhhh, interesting. Sounds like the letter of that law isn't enforced particularly strenuously. But it also explains why not many Taiwanese releases have English subs. I can just imagine an R3TW distrib saying, "hey, do you mind if we sling English subs on this?" and the Japanese license-holder saying, "Hmm, why would you want to do that considering YOU'RE ONLY GOING TO BE SELLING THIS IN TAIWAN, RIGHT???"

I would say the lack of English subs is lack of demand for it. Why spend on something more if it's not needed by the main consumers. And as dormcat mentioned here, "most Taiwanese anime fans have below-than-average English proficiency."

All of this talk reminded me of what happened to Summer Wars Blu-ray release (with English sub) from Mighty Media. The initial batch of the BD release was region free. And Manga UK got word of it and wasn't pleased about it (link). Manga UK noted that Mighty Media wasn't authorized to do a region free release. Sometime after that the releases became Region A.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:51 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
I would say the lack of English subs is lack of demand for it. Why spend on something more if it's not needed by the main consumers. And as dormcat mentioned here, "most Taiwanese anime fans have below-than-average English proficiency."

Exactly. A local licensee has to either hire a translator and send the final script back and forth to Japanese right owner(s) for supervision, or sub-license it from an English-speaking release (preferably North American). Either way would increase budget, and I bet neither would attract additional domestic customers. If cross-region purchasing increases significantly it would attract the attention of law enforcement, not to mention that excluding other language sub/dub might be part of the license deal at the very beginning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:37 am Reply with quote
Proware quietly announced the license of Mawaru Penguindrum at TIBE 2012.

Other than this banner, there's no mentioning on either the printed or online catalogs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Starsplash Taiwan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:02 am Reply with quote
I actually went to the TIBe Book convention twice last week. Bought 2 Freezing Wall Scrolls and some other stuff. However, There wasn't that many new stuff being sold though. Surprised how popular sekirei is that there was any kind of things for sale. Id definatly buy a sekirei poster if they had one.

Anyways, they were selling the same things they were selling from the last 2 convenstions, so I didn't buy much. Still awsome though and glad I went there.

Tons of Infinite Stratus stuff though. Wonder when the fudge it will come out in the states, with Freezing.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:55 am Reply with quote
Infinite Stratos comes out on DVD and BD on April 10.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:38 am Reply with quote
I can't believe that I'm actually considering buying IS simply because of Genius Bunny Ear girl who is, like, in only two episodes.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:46 am Reply with quote
I'm gonna be blind buying IS, but I'd be lying if I said this girl didn't interest me greatly. Snarling anime girls = hot. She also looks like the tomboy type, and we all know how I feel about the tomboy types.

That Chifuyu Orimura and Ling Yin Huang look interesting as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:07 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I think you'll dig Houki. Oh, but Busty (actually I can't really remember if she's busty, I think she was) Bunny-Eared Genius Girl is really where it's at.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3