• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Hana Yori Dango live-action

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
violomana

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:05 pm Reply with quote
UuuWaaa, there's been so much commotion in all the ARASHI threads about this drama that I never got around to submitting news to ANN!

There's a lot of people who didn't like the Taiwanese version, Meteor Shower as popular as it is, but with actors like MatsuJun and Oguri Shun plus the fact that it's being made by a Japanese company (finally!), I'm really hoping that this version will be a lot more faithful to the comedy/romance/drama of HYD! It's a series that is really close to my heart. <3

For a list and background of who's playing who:
http://www.jdorama.com/drama.956.htm
HeisT

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Surprised that Japanese gonna film their own version after the Taiwan version of season 2 just made it suck. And i though it just gonna gone like that. BTW, Good looking guy there...
nororu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:04 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for this dorama to come out!!! I watched Jun Matsumoto in Kimi wa Petto and Gokusen and just fell in love with the guy! *new fan here*

Wink
Chiyo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:00 am Reply with quote
I also didn't like most of the characters in the Taiwanese version. I think Lei resembled Rui quite well (although not manly enough...) and Shancai's parents were just great. As for the others, I was mostly disappointed. Shancai totally lacks of the weed power, hence she doesn't fit Makino's character at all. Daoming Su is plain pathetic. In scenes when Doumyouji got angry (and actually really cool), Daoming Su would just cry or whine. The rest of the F4 doesn't look too attractive, either. Rolling Eyes
I'm excited about the Japanese version, though. First because I really adore the cast. They all fit so well (although Doumyouji doesn't have a round face as Jun has, don't you think?), especially Makino. She's so cute! Yet not as doll-like as Shancai, who is way too pretty and dressed up in my opinion.
I'm also looking forward to seeing the show in Japanese. I think Chinese is a very interesting and beautiful language, but it's so frustrating to hardly understand anything they say.
Emichan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for this drama! HYD is one of my very favorite series, and Matsujun is one of my very favorite guys. I was absolutely floored when I read he will be playing Doumyouji. I am curious to see if he can do it. He was awesome in Gokusen, and totally adorable in Kimi wa Pet. I look forward to seeing him attempt such an interesting character as Doumyouji. He does sort of lack the height and physical presence that I imagine Doumyouji has, so I think he will need to work harder with his acting.

I also like Oguri Shun playing Rui. He was so cute in Gokusen, and his current small role in Densha Otoko already feels very Rui-like to me.

It sounds like they are keeping the story set in high school. I like that idea more than they way Meteor Garden (and pretty much all of the Taiwan adaptations of shoujo manga like Mars, Akuma de Sourou, Peach Girl, Marmalade Boy, etc) tend to put everyone in college.
Chiyo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:06 am Reply with quote
Yay! I watched it. And it was great! I'm not a fan of the Taiwanese adaption due to the poor acting. It also pretty much looks like a low production, too. The Japanese producers spent a lot of money on the drama though which is said in a Hanadan special that was aired right before the very first episode. Everyone's acting is amazing and the soundtrack is awesome. I also like the little changes they made. Makiko and Sakurako are one and the same person in the Japanese version, to tell you one thing. Whereas the Taiwanese producers kept Makiko's role and gave her some of Sakurako's character traits and actions it's vice versa for the Japanese version. The girl's name is Sakurako and she's really cute and pretty, which I kind of like better (cause this way you can say: Hey! Despite of her looks Doumyouji decided for Makino over her. Razz) Meteor Garden gets my credit for its humor though. I really missed some funny scenes in the Japanese version. All in all the first episode seemed a little dark to me.

Emichan wrote:
He does sort of lack the height and physical presence that I imagine Doumyouji has, so I think he will need to work harder with his acting.

That's what I thought when I first heard about his height. *sigh* Also I think he's kind of cute but way not handsome enough for the role. Sorry to say that, really. I do like his acting though. And I think he pretty much makes up with it for everything he lacks of. He has this cool atmosphere that you'd expect from Doumyouji irl.
What really bums me is the length of the drama. 9 episodes can never cover the whole story. I wonder which parts they cut. Hopefully the latter episodes (although I hoped for them to be found the most, actually) since that would leave some hope for a second and eventually a third season, too. Aww... Honestly... 9 episodes?!

Edit: I ADORED Jun in Gokusen! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1