• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Man-Faye

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animedude35

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:24 am Reply with quote
Wow....a long interview with a person I care nothing about...

I was wondering why this gets so much attention rather than like say.....a guy wearing a sailor moon suit (which STILL is going on) Confused
Juniper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:38 am Reply with quote
Uh... just because YOU don't care, doesn't mean that other people don't.

People care about Man-Faye because almost everyone knows him, just like Sailor Bubba and Cardcaptor Will. And, that whole ruckus with AX these past couple of years got a lot of people interested in the situation.

If you don't care about him, then don't click on the link. No reason to be a dick. Anyway, this interview raises some interesting points. Hairy ass or not, there are guys (and girls) who wear less than him (pasties, anyone?) and get away with it. It's not really fair.

Plus, I remember when Sunday Spotlight first started, people in the forums were asking for an interview with Man-Faye, so it's obvious that someone people *do* care.

Maybe soon they'll have an interview with Sailor Bubba. Very Happy
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:41 am Reply with quote
Well, Sailor Bubba is an ACen tradition. As in, an official ACen tradition. They even make and sell merchandise now.

Also, Bubba's costumes tend to be a lot less revealing than Man-Faye's, which probably makes a big difference.

Personally, I think that it's up to the individual cosplayer to make sure their costumes are "decent". I mean, you can still make a perfectly accurate costume, that's still "skimpy", while still making sure that it's not something other con-goers might get squicked at. In other words, make your costume to fit you, not the character who's half your size.

Deliberately poorly done costumes that're clearly a joke are another thing, of course, but there's some things that do go too far. The interview never makes the point that a lot of cons now DO have rules that are enforced on appropriateness of costumes. Or as some cons put it, "no costume is no costume". I'm just waiting to see a "Sexy no Jutsu" cosplayer push the idea a little too far...

But another thing to keep in mind if you're a cosplayer- when you put on that costume, you ARE putting yourself up for display, and for other people to judge. Yeah, some people are just jerks, but I have to say, it's just the nature of cosplay that people will judge it. This is one of the reasons some people have for crossplaying- they want to do a costume so good, they're actually mistaken for being the opposite gender. Things like body type are taken into account and/or compensated for. But because there's that element to it, I have to say that people really need to think of what they're doing first.

Of course, from the sound of it the actions taken by the AX staff do sound quite un-called for, though I wouldn't be surprised if they have their own side of the story to tell. And of course this is only going to bring the issue to the forefront of the entire fandom....

...oh, and just to note in regards to my comments on cosplay, I'm a cosplayer who has only done *one* costume thus far that wasn't crossplay. So I'm not blindly criticizing but talking from my own experience and observations.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:08 am Reply with quote
April Fool's was months ago. Well ok, all joking aside, the interview is more intriguing than I expected.
Thinkersblock07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:20 am Reply with quote
I agree with Juniper, Animedude. If you don't feel this interview is necessary for your needs, then why comment on it or even read it?

Anyways, I feel sorry for Man-Faye getting banned by AX. The fans love him and I do admit that I used to be one of those fans who used to hate him, but not anymore. I hope things do work out with him and AX. Wink
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:30 am Reply with quote
I actually feel the same *as THINKERSBLOCK*

I kinda don't like the idea, but I don't like the fact that he wasn't let in either...

I mean, like he said, women were wearing some stuff like that too, but no one cared

Seems pretty biased if you ask me

Anyway, this has got me thinking a bit...

... How come WOMEN can dress like MEN, but not the other way around?

What? Just because we think it looks better?

I know there are bigger issues in the world, but it is something to think about
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:33 am Reply with quote
Ewww. In no way, shape, or form, should Man-Faye be encouraged. By anyone.

Most of the people I know go out of their way to avoid Man-Faye and those like him. He is an anime con peril.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
totalgeek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:45 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Ewww. In no way, shape, or form, should Man-Faye be encouraged. By anyone.

Most of the people I know go out of their way to avoid Man-Faye and those like him. He is an anime con peril.

To be honest, I'd never even HEARD of Man-Faye until this article, since I've never been one for the convention scene. But, after reading the interview I think if I ever decide to go to Anime Expo I'm going to track this guy down and make sure I get a picture of myself smacking his butt! Laughing
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:05 am Reply with quote
Waitaminute, is AX held in San Fransisco or California? Cause that's some pretty weird shyte going on given the "openess" of Cali in recent years.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:14 am Reply with quote
Nan Desu Kan is comming up, I hear that he is comming.

I did Man Excel once, maybe I should dig out that costume and start cosplaying as that full time once more.
Bahamut God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:21 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Waitaminute, is AX held in San Fransisco or California? Cause that's some pretty weird shyte going on given the "openess" of Cali in recent years.

No, it's held in Anaheim, not California. Rolling Eyes
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:24 am Reply with quote
I have to admit that Man-Faye dresses better than most drag queens in West Hollywood.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:26 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I have to admit that Man-Faye dresses better than most drag queens in West Hollywood.

Isn't that is the truth, Wext Hollywood has some scary crossdressers.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:38 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

umm san Fransisco is in Californa.

and has been stated already AX is in Anhiem witch is also in california. San fran and Anihiem are about 7 or so hours apart.

he's become alot more of a COn legened then Sailor Bubba.
Sailor bubba is bad but come on he's tame compared to manfaye's hairy ass.
not to mention Sailor Bubba Wasnt banned from any cons.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Lix

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:03 am Reply with quote
Best. Interview. Ever.

Man-Faye wrote:
freedom

Man-Faye wrote:
equal rights

Man-Faye wrote:
“Hi, Dad,”

Man-Faye wrote:
hot pants

Man-Faye wrote:
spanking

What more does an interview need? It is at once touching, hilarious, and outright disturbing.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8