• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 More Arrietty US Dub Clips Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blazingluke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
This sounds awful. I wish they would have used the UK dub Sad
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Sounds great to me. Hard to imagine Will Arnett doing anything serious though Laughing . One of the funniest people in the world...just watch Arrested Development.
Blazingluke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
From the clips of the US version I've seen, Arrietty has a completely different personality.

I'd really like to see it in theatres though, but I'm afraid the dub is going to drive me insane...haha. I just have to get past that and enjoy the music and visuals.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:02 am Reply with quote
Beans? Would've been better if they called them Human Beans like in the book. :/ By the way, don't bother watching the second clip. There's pretty much no talking in it.

I wish they could've provided this many clips of the UK dub so people could see how much more superior it is the US dub.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:09 am Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
By the way, don't bother watching the second clip. There's pretty much no talking in it.

Not having really watched the movie yet, I really liked that second clip. It's cool and very rare seeing a scene in any anime where you understand what goes on in a scene between characters through action (NOT the "fighting" kind of action people!) and not just spoken dialogue.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote
I love Will Arnett and Amy Poehler especially when both of them are involved. The dub they're doing is good.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
So we're writing off the dub beforehand, huh? Not even giving it a fair chance to have it stand on its own and not compare it to some other dub? Oh that's really great, guys, that's really great. Give more fuel to the ammunition that Disney's going to destroy another Ghibli title, that's really smart. A far better thing to do than listening to it on its own merits and not comparing it to anything. That's REALLY smart.

**Note: I was being EXTREMELY sarcastic with this post.**
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:35 am Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
So we're writing off the dub beforehand, huh? Not even giving it a fair chance to have it stand on its own and not compare it to some other dub? Oh that's really great, guys, that's really great. Give more fuel to the ammunition that Disney's going to destroy another Ghibli title, that's really smart. A far better thing to do than listening to it on its own merits and not comparing it to anything. That's REALLY smart.

**Note: I was being EXTREMELY sarcastic with this post.**
[sacasm] Yep. One doesn't need to drink an entire bottle of wine to know if it's corked. [/sarcasm]
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:46 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to seeing it on the big screen again anyway! One little clip isn't the whole movie, and honestly this film doesn't rely very heavily on dialogue as it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Give more fuel to the ammunition? Sounds like a plan!
watkinzez

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:35 am Reply with quote
I, uh, thought Disney had stopped adding in dialogue where there was none in the original. :/
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, the dub sounded fine to me. Bridgit Mendler was a little jittery at times, but otherwise sounded decent. Amy sounded really good, though, and Will was fine as well. I don't really have any major complaints of the dub from what I've seen so far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1