• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Vampire Diaries

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
couldn't agree more Rosario + Vampire.. it was just painful to watch after awhile and I love tna anime series.. I wanted someting more in depth like with dance in the vampire bund or funny like karin but eh it just didn't bite me the right way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Re: Yoko in 12 Kingdoms

I have no patience for viewers who won't sit through a character's growing pains on their way to becoming a badass. Part of the reward of seeing Yoko throwing down the guantlet in the second half is seeing how far she's come.

Come to think of it, I have no patience for viewers who have no patience. Razz
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote
When I saw R&V on the front page list I knew exactly where Erin would put and I was right yet again. I cannot say that I agree with Erin about R&V. Sure it does not stick with the source material that much but I enjoyed it. It is no great series by any means but I found it fun to watch. More of a guilty pleasure series IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm sad that no one ever seems to share my love of Rosario. I found the dub absolutely wonderful and hilarious. I laughed a lot. I found it way funnier than Magikano... Which I couldn't even finish. I guess it's just personal preference.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
As the proud owner of all English volumes of the Rosario + Vampire manga, I must say GONZO, ALL OF MY RAGE!!!!!!

Latest volume in Japan sh exactly what the hell Moka's mother was, who she died fighting with, and why exactly there are two Moka's in the same body anyway. It's so freaking awesome. The sleased moster is something out of Alucard's book of friends. I highly recommend the manga.
animefan1238

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I'm sad that no one ever seems to share my love of Rosario. I found the dub absolutely wonderful and hilarious. I laughed a lot. I found it way funnier than Magikano... Which I couldn't even finish. I guess it's just personal preference.

Rosario looks funny. We all fall for that one dumb show (I am guilty of that more than once), we let our brains shut down, see some fanservice and get some laughs out of it. I plan on buying it soon at a con I'm going to soon.

Twelve Kindoms is one of my favoriate shows of all time. The animations is clean, the dub is good, the story is great and the music is very good. Thumbs up!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:

Look no farther. I like it, too. As a matter of fact, I'm one of those very rare birds who preferred the anime over the manga.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I found that Gasaraki review to be spot on. I was mostly bored by the series. I only really liked the flashbacks and the ending song/animation.
Scormio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

Look no farther. I like it, too. As a matter of fact, I'm one of those very rare birds who preferred the anime over the manga.

Count me in as well. Though, after watching, I went and read as much of the manga as I could get my hands on, and I have to say I would give it the edge over the anime in terms of story.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Takahashi's better modern mecha anime is undoubtedly FLAG; VOTOMS is a great series, but gets a little hindered from near-supernatural elements added in the final arc. But the first two arcs of the anime are beyond solid. As for FLAG, it has a real story to tell and is quite believable in its mirroring of current affairs in the the middle east and Central Asia. It's a shame people can't get beyond the way it was shot through the lens of cameras and snapshots being displayed on computer screens. The way you're behind the lens the entire time is such a different feeling compared to being omnipresent and observing from above.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Re: Yoko in 12 Kingdoms

I have no patience for viewers who won't sit through a character's growing pains on their way to becoming a badass. Part of the reward of seeing Yoko throwing down the guantlet in the second half is seeing how far she's come.

While I am all for a character starting off horrible or weak and getting better - character development For The Win - what I can't stand is terrible writing. Seriously, I don't even know why I gave Twelve Kingdoms as high a grade as I did, there's so much wrong with it.

But let's take Yoko.

Yoko's home and school situation are both awful for no other reason than her hair and skin. Kids are horrible, true, but her teachers (who should know better) despise her. Has no-one told them that she's not a yankee? Her own parents are cold to her. Neon Genesis Evangelion had logical and powerful reasons why Shinji was messed up. Yoko was messed up because her own parents treated naturally red hair like the devil. Did the husband not wonder if his wife had had an affair with a foreigner like a normal person would?

Anyway, Yoko is messed up. She hates herself because her own family hates her. Then she gets kidnapped and everyone stupidly thinks that it's because she's fallen in with a bad crowd. Then everyone in the land she's in tells her that she's now the absolute ruler of a troubled and impoverished country and that she's a horrible queen if she can't immediately run it in an experienced way. And of course she can't. She's fourteen or so and has just been kidnapped by them, what the f*ck do they expect? Really? Of course she's going to make mistakes and be a weak ruler initially.

She also gets plagued by spoiler[the inner spirit of her sword who constantly puts her down. And yes, she does overcome him,] but the show's message is constantly thus: "if you can't do this and everything else then you're weak". Yeah, well, not everyone is a born leader, not everyone has the strength of will to overcome such difficult trials on their lonesome. Give the girl a break.

So she cares what other people think of her. So she wants people to like her. So she's afraid of trusting people. So she's uncertain and second-guesses herself. These are merely the marks of a normal girl with issues, they don't make her a bad girl.

And it isn't like the mandate of Heaven actually means anything. As we are repeatedly shown and told, rulers are constantly chosen who then go on to do awful things. Yoko is not letting down Heaven or 'her' people, or even herself. Instead she's been kidnapped into an archaic system that thinks nominating a teenage girl - and a foreigner at that - to be the ruler automatically pushes the moral responsibility onto them. Never mind that they can't do it or don't want to do it. Oh no, they're the leader, and they better had shape up or they're a morally irresponsible person. Son't blame the person when the entire system is inherently wrong.

The fact that she gets berated for not immediately learning all the spheres of power and the hidden motivations and the various schemes at a court she didn't know existed until a little while ago is pretty sickening. And it isn't like the show is saying that her new world has a different way of doing things than Earth, oh no. It's against her at every opportunity. We the audience are suppose to consider her weak rather than a normal girl who's been treated cruelly, been kidnapped and then has had huge burdens thrust upon her with no explanation and no training.

All those gripes were solely about Yoko. I have yet to talk about the other characters and how badly their arcs were written. Don't even get me started on the other two girls in the trio. Forget about ripping the show a new one, I'd probably rip it in bloody half. The characters weren't the only problems I had with the show - it fails biology pretty hard, for example - but they are the most grievious flaws.

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe a vampire can love a human as more than just breakfast. Maybe supernatural romance isn't my thing. Maybe I haven't met a breakfast sandwich good enough to date.

Laughing

I got Gasaraki waaaaay long ago, when the whole box set was $120, and I really regretted it.

I'm personally fine with the idea of occasionally taking a "realistic" approach, but I think Gasaraki is an example of things going way too far. It's just so stale, dry, and boring. There's no passion in anything, unless it involves power-suit data, political upheavels, or WHEAT.

I in fact don't remember much else about...except I actually fell asleep watching sometime in the 20s episodes and just stopped right there.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
dtm, I don't think the show is trying to present Yoko as a weak girl initially, just a normal girl who's a little indecisive. People who think of her as weak and whiny are projecting their own opinions rather than watching it objectively.

The show presents Yoko's personal challenge as overcoming her indecisiveness to make the best out of an initial bad situation.

To me it seems more like you're ranting about the perceived reactions to the show rather than the show itself. Many of your gripes hinge on the idea that the show wants you to think she is weak, when that is probably more a fan reaction than anything the show is trying to make you think. Additionally, the show does want you to sympathize with the fact that she's generally been put in a bad situation. It's not the show's fault that some viewers choose to react with the "put up or shut up" attitude.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
I in fact don't remember much else about...except I actually fell asleep watching sometime in the 20s episodes and just stopped right there.

Hmm. Maybe an intellectually stimulating show is not your cup of tea. I'm surprised you would wait until twenty episodes in to fall asleep.

No, really. I'm honestly surprised.

If you didn't like the show, why wait until the section at which the political and grain market subplots were starting to be relevant, which was one of the better parts of the show? Why not fall asleep in the middle arc which focused on the the two lead characters, A.K.A. the two most boring aspects of the show? Yushiro was as 'active' (read: dull) as a lobotomy survivor and Miharu had so little personality and presence I was amazed at times that they animators remembered to colour her in.

bravetailor wrote:
To me it seems more like you're ranting about the perceived reactions to the show...

Possibly, though I remain dubious.

Certainly Neon Genesis Evangelion treated Shinji like crap even though he didn't deserve it either. But at least the show gave him good reasons for being messed up. Twelve Kingdoms and Yoko? Not so much.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
When I saw R&V on the front page list I knew exactly where Erin would put and I was right yet again.

I alllllllmost gave it Rental! Seriously!

asimpson2006 wrote:
Sure it does not stick with the source material that much but I enjoyed it.

How is it different from the manga? I'm interested in knowing.

jenthehen wrote:
I found the dub absolutely wonderful and hilarious.

The dub really is quality stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4