• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kenji Kamiyama's 009 RE:CYBORG Teaser Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
That was awesome. Hope this turns out well.
Enner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote
The animation looks nice. I hope it won't be as stiff as it is in works like Freedom and TO.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
No "Genesis of Next"? (Loved that version of Cyborg 009.)

Trailer looks pretty awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GhostShell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I was sold on this when the project was first announced and Kenji Kamiyama's and Production I.G.'s names were attached. The trailer hasn't changed my mind one little bit. It looked very nice, indeed! And the music from Kenji Kawai just added to the anticipation. I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:46 am Reply with quote
Animation looks terrible, and here I'm referring to those poorly rigged CG characters with stiff joints and movement... Surely they can do better than this? It just takes me out of it... The Appleseed CG was much better.
lem

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:51 am Reply with quote
are helicopters and someone diving downward through the air required by law in Japan or what? Rolling Eyes and how many more times will I gladly pay to see that?Wink

kidding aside, this does look to be of GITS/Eden of the East quality eye candy, I just hope it doesn't take forever and a day to get a blu release. It's another one for the 'looks to be interesting' list.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Animation looks terrible, and here I'm referring to those poorly rigged CG characters with stiff joints and movement... Surely they can do better than this? It just takes me out of it... The Appleseed CG was much better.

I agree, though I think the rendering is nice, i.e. at least it looks pretty in stills. In fairness though, I've seen far worse CGI than this, and at least it's not a well animated but thoroughly subpar on a design level funny talking animal cartoon, I am not bashing all american/western cartoons/animation, CGI or otherwise or saying that all talking animal cartoons/animated works are bad, just that there's an abundance of bad ones along with the good ones and even if this isn't the best animation at least it has beautiful pictures and striking direction and from what I hear an interesting story and characters and I prefer that to the likes of Alpha and Omega or Cars (I know they aren't animals, but the only other Pixar film that I have seen that I really didn't like was A Bug's Life, and that's more controversial as a lot of people seemed to like that one, and in fairness it's not even like ABL is flat out bad, it's just somewhat underwhelming compared to Pixar's other less formulaic stuff and works by other studios which do a better job with the well worn elements presented here) or Shark Tale, while still very much enjoying other Pixar films, Ice Age, Horton Hears a Who, Tangled, Dreamworks' last four non-sequel/spinoff animated films (and I also liked Kung Fu Panda 2), Monster House and numerous other american animated works made using CGI and/or stopmotion and/or "hand drawn/traditional" animation (ditto for animated films from other countries, I am an animation fan in general rather than an anime fan only). I even was surprised at how little love The Tale of Despereaux and Igor got as the former has great atmosphere and fable style storytelling and the latter has an excellent voice cast (as in, actually good choices for their roles rather than just actors famous for live action) and lots of hilariously twisted humour. Sorry for the wall of text but people can totally misinterpret things if you aren't really clear and I didn't want anyone to think I was just saying all american animation is rubbish, rather than complaining about a specific trend commonplace (but not all encompassing) in american CGI animation.

EDIT: also, I don't wear nostalgia goggles, I'm aware such things were common in american animation before CGI, but because humans are such a challenge in CGI (though this is certainly changing), there's now a technical excuse for making formulaic stories for kids about talking animals or machines or toys or whatever (not that there shouldn't be animated films/series, comedic or otherwise, about animals/machines/toys/etc., talking or otherwise), which becomes a reinforcement of the animation age ghetto.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1