• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CNN article on Anime Videogames

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isaaru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Pretty good article and reviews from an unlikely source. I look forward to more from CNN.

It's also good to see more of the mainstream media take a nice look at the video game industry and not focus on violence/sex controversy.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Pretty good article (better than most of the garbage FOX writes) but I have beef with two things:

1) They say that anime is BECOMING popular. Funny, because it's BEEN popular for years.

2) They called FMA a "cartoon." That in itself is just wrong. Technically, they're right, but in today's world, the word "cartoon" refers to stuff like Looney Tunes and anything on Nickelodeon.

Other than that, it was good. Nothing that great, but anything's better than FOX's lies and assumptions. Laughing
Isaaru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Pretty good article (better than most of the garbage FOX writes) but I have beef with two things:

1) They say that anime is BECOMING popular. Funny, because it's BEEN popular for years.

2) They called FMA a "cartoon." That in itself is just wrong. Technically, they're right, but in today's world, the word "cartoon" refers to stuff like Looney Tunes and anything on Nickelodeon.

Other than that, it was good. Nothing that great, but anything's better than FOX's lies and assumptions. Laughing

The funniest thing about FOX lately is thier owner Newscorp has taken a huge interest in video games and purshased IGN (long running and huge game website) for 650 million!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:

hang on a sec let me respond to this

Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Funny, I played One Piece Grand Battle at a con (the Japanese version, but I'm assuming the US version is the same except for the language) and I thought it was awesome (despite fully expecting to hate it since most anime games tend to be awful.) It's a Power Stone-style fighter that's even better than Power Stone. It doesn't have the debth of a Soul Calibur, but it's very fun, especially with two players. I can't see how it got a lower rating than FMA 2 (which is okay, but really just a flashy beat-'em-up) and Yugioh. Maybe the author's disapointment at not being able to do piratey stuff like sail from island to island and look for treasure cost the game a star. There are One Piece games where you can do that sort of thing...in Japan.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:22 pm Reply with quote
CNN!???!?!?!? GAh, those evvvill coporate scumbags couldn't write an article about our sacred medium. I'll know that that EVIL (tm) Ted Turner just hates us and he probably comissioned teh article to defame FMA's honor. Well, I know better than to take this from the network that brought us Peter Arnett.

I once tuned in to Crossfire and heard Paul Begala say something that I disagreed with. That totaly voids any perspective that that pathetic excuse of a news source for uneducated "sheeple" could possibly present on anime/videogames/the weather report.

Aren't these type of posts required on threads referencing news agencies?
Izlude

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
I'm assuming the US version is the same except for the language

Not quite, besides the language, and name changes (Smoker >> Chaser), some secret characters were removed like Akouji, Foxy and Ener. My guess is because they don't come along til much later, and 4Kids is just getting their feet wet with Baroque Works, although Croc, Nico Robin and Mr.2 Bon Clay are all playable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1