• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hetalia World Series DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
I never really watched this series before...but it's basically strike witches but more targeted to the female fans??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Peahen Piper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:36 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
I never really watched this series before...but it's basically strike witches but more targeted to the female fans??

Think of our world's countries.
Personify those countries as cute guys.
Imagine those cute guys hanging out.
Watch the guys being pals/enemies and having goofy fun adventures that sort of/kind of/not really parallel the events of world history.
Add in a some stereotypes and moments yaoi fangirls gush over, and that's pretty much Hetalia for you.
(so yea, sort of like strike witches)

Last edited by The Peahen Piper on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
leetseattle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:19 am Reply with quote
*Waits for the firestorm to begin*
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:40 am Reply with quote

No, because the idea is fanservicey but the execution isn't full of pantyshots.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:54 am Reply with quote
The letter grades at the end seem rather harsh considering that the reviewer seemed to enjoy Hetalia at least a little. I hope anyone interested reads the whole review rather than just looking at the letter grades. I've watched Hetalia with a few (open-minded) non-anime fans and they've all enjoyed it a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:06 am Reply with quote
I always hated the animation in Hetalia. It's just so...cheap. The anime in general takes many shortcuts. Rather annoying, really, especially because I enjoy the manga. Several scenes are done better in the drawn format.

I also found that some of the Japanese voice actors lose their quality as time goes on. In earlier episodes, America and Prussia didn't sound nearly as annoying as they do now. For example, America was never so hyperactive and childish at the beginning; his voice only sounded as such when he was excited. Now he sounds like that all the time.

I bought the DVD, but haven't found the time to marathon it yet. I am interested in the watching it with the English dub; I've found the past sets to be enjoyable.

Last edited by RestLessone on Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I always hated the animation in Hetalia. It's just so...cheap. The anime in general takes many shortcuts. Rather annoying, really, especially because I enjoy the manga. Several scenes and are done better in the drawn format.

I agree. The animation sucks... I actually like Hetalia, but even I have to admit the animation is just ridiculous. Though, it is only 5 minutes long an episode, so I can't complain too much... I still think they could have done a tad better. (Can't say i'm too fond of the color scheme either.)

And oh god the shortcuts ..... Like the whole spoiler[Germania/Germany] character design thing. Yeah... wth?
And thats only one of many...
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
If you guys think the animation for Hetalia is bad, please watch 1 episode of Therme Romane.

Good lord do I not like Flash animation....>__>

Besides, Hetalia is being animated by the kings of small budget animation: Studio Deen. If seen any of these shows, you will know that Studio Deen is no Studio Shaft.
But, as lame as the jokes are, I'll always have a soft spot for this show. >////<
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Pippin4242 wrote:

your implying panty shot's bother me and this isn't fanservice for certain fans. I watched a bit it's catered towards more of female fans. With the Cross dressing, buff chest, ripped abs etc it's still funny as hell but not one I want to continue with.. but I still liked what I seen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Pippin4242 wrote:

your implying panty shot's bother me and this isn't fanservice for certain fans. I watched a bit it's catered towards more of female fans. With the Cross dressing, buff chest, ripped abs etc it's still funny as hell but not one I want to continue with.. but I still liked what I seen.

Well I think there's a difference between fanservice intent, and fanservice execution. Like how some shows insert T&A for the hell of it, and their heart isn't in it - but some shows have a premise that's meant to be kind of sexy to certain parties, like Kuroshitsuji for instance. That show may contain absolutely nil nudity or actual sexual content (besides a single off-screen sex scene which contributed to the plot) but there's no denying it's written simply to please or to titilate. I guess what I'm saying is that Hetalia might have a sexyish premise (boy-heavy cast, univerally good-looking characters, angsty potential) to be honest, you're not going to look at those funny little pink-blob characters and feel threatened or particularly irritated by overt and over-the-top actual sexual display. To whit, showed the whole thing at my anime society and even if not everyone loved it, no boy was offended by it. Showed Akikan! and plenty of girls were offended by it.

- Pips
Master Luc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I have a question. Do I need to watch this first or the movie. becuase i see in japan the movie comes after this season while in US the Season 3 come after the movie!

Any Suggestion?

Thanks
FH14

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Master Luc wrote:
I have a question. Do I need to watch this first or the movie. becuase i see in japan the movie comes after this season while in US the Season 3 come after the movie!

Any Suggestion?

Thanks

It doesn't really matter. Hetalia follows a loose continuity and while the movie is supposed to take place between the Axis Powers and World Series animes (only a handful of World Series episodes had aired when the movie premiered) it won't affect your viewing experience all that much either way (though the movie does reuse footage and call on gags from the first series).

Quote:
and the entire subplot concerning Norway and Sweden never gets off the ground either.

In the review you keep referring to "Norway" when I believe you actually meant Finland - since Norway doesn't appear at all in these episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1