• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Fortune Retold

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Conception looks interesting.

February 14 is going to be so awesome, getting the limited edition versions of both Madoka and Blazblue CS Extend. I can't wait to play BB. It seems like a good intro to the series since it has a revised version of the stories of both CT and CS. Then again they may arrive on different days; depends on the shipping.

I plan to get Tales of the Abyss when I can.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
thepsychogamer wrote:
The only good thing I can say is it wasn't Legendia, both games where god awful IMO though.

Which of course is only your subjective opinion. Legendia may not have had a great battle system and Shirley was a terrible female lead, but it had plenty going for it. Smile
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Itsuki surrounds himself with his munchkin-like spawn during battle, thus marking himself as both a terrible father and a resourceful tactician.

I couldn't help laughing out loud at this joke Laughing
I was pretty surprised when I heard about this title and the plot, but at least the company is laying out the general idea right at the start. Too bad about the machine though, I guess the first thing the main character does is get really happy and then very disappointed?
momogoldfish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Quick question: Did they keep the Japanese voices for the English version of Hakuoki? I am thinking of buying the LE for my sis who can't read Japanese...
thepsychogamer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
thepsychogamer wrote:
The only good thing I can say is it wasn't Legendia, both games where god awful IMO though.

Which of course is only your subjective opinion. Legendia may not have had a great battle system and Shirley was a terrible female lead, but it had plenty going for it. Smile

You mean like a half-ass localization, or a story with 10 hours of padding, and a final boss that come out of nowhere. How about the part where all the the character's where completely forgettable, at least Luke was memorable, even if it was only for being an whining headache. and a world that really wasn't that interesting. Remind me, what did the game have going for it?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quote
As a fan of Abyss, I feel insulted it's being put on the same level as Legendia (easily the worst Tales game)

Abyss was better than Symphonia at any rate.
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:22 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Legendia (easily the worst Tales game)

Welll, technically it's not even a Tales game since the Tales studio didn't develop it.

I'm still annoyed that Rebirth never came over here...either version!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:25 am Reply with quote
thepsychogamer wrote:
You mean like a half-ass localization, or a story with 10 hours of padding, and a final boss that come out of nowhere. How about the part where all the the character's where completely forgettable, at least Luke was memorable, even if it was only for being an whining headache. and a world that really wasn't that interesting. Remind me, what did the game have going for it?

I'd like to share my view with you but you sound like you're raging at the teeth. Plus my eyebrow is raised at your commentary.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:59 am Reply with quote
I'm getting Hakuoki just because it's a unique deal for English-speakers. And the art is quite nice. And finally something specifically for ladies.

Skipping Abyss 3D because I played the hell out of the PS2 version back in the day. And I don't own a 3DS.

Tales of Graces F on March 13. HELL YES.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:51 am Reply with quote
I ordered the LE of Hakuoki. I'm very curious to see how a visual novel works, and I like to support things aimed at women (here's hoping for more in the future). I know a whole bunch of women (online) who bought a PSP just to play this game! Most of them have never played a video game before. Who knows, maybe it will sell well. That would be nice.
momogoldfish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:10 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I ordered the LE of Hakuoki. I'm very curious to see how a visual novel works, and I like to support things aimed at women (here's hoping for more in the future). I know a whole bunch of women (online) who bought a PSP just to play this game! Most of them have never played a video game before. Who knows, maybe it will sell well. That would be nice.

Judging from the amazon rankings http://www.amazon.com/Hakuoki-Fleeting-Blossom-Limited-Sony-PSP/dp/B005T3GSCM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328764747&sr=8-1 , it is selling well (at least on the dwindling psp front).
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:12 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Extreme Escape Adventure is literally 'Prisoner's Dilemma: The Game". I remember playing a simulation that used the same scoring system in an international relations course when I was an undergraduate.

Awww, you beat me to pointing it out! Laughing It's a game theory game!

I was actually kinda interested in "Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors", and this new game "Extreme Escape Adventure: Good People Die" looks similarly compelling. The characters look like they'd fit right in with a Phoenix Wright lineup, though the concept seems more morose. Shocked

Quote:
Conception: Please Have My Child offers another bizarre title that's somehow true to the game's premise.... Instead of having kids the old-fashioned way, our hero sires offspring via a machine that fuses his spiritual energy with that of a chosen woman, resulting in a “star child.”

Now where have I heard that strange idea before, where a spirit supposedly infuses with a chosen maiden to conceive a baby who saves the world...?

Oh yeah, that's right... baby Jebus in the manger... Rolling Eyes

Totally not a foreign concept to most Americans, Japan, you'll have to work harder next time to weird us out. Razz But who knows, there may be a market stateside amongst lonely evangelicals...? Laughing Though following that logic, it might also have a market amongst Hindu fans of the Ramayana... they might warm up to it easier since their virgin-birth hero-story is much older, so they've been used to the idea that much longer. Razz
TheZeonicFront

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
I know this is a petty comment, but if you think Clover from "Good People Die" looks like Yoko you need to get your eyes checked. Because they are both wearing bikini tops? I don't really get the connection.

It also shows you have never played the first game because that is one of two characters the games have in common.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Mildly considering getting Tales of the Abyss, for old time's sake. Never actually played it, but I loved Tales of Symphonia and (to a lesser extent) Legendia back in the day, even though I never beat either of them. Tales makes for good comfort-food gaming.

Also, isn't the 3DS supposed to fix the PS2 version's framerate problems, or something?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
TheZeonicFront wrote:
I know this is a petty comment, but if you think Clover from "Good People Die" looks like Yoko you need to get your eyes checked. Because they are both wearing bikini tops? I don't really get the connection.

It also shows you have never played the first game because that is one of two characters the games have in common.

If the police had to make a lineup based on this description...

1) Young, slim 5'-6' tall teenage girl
1) Reddish hair drawn back in long, flowy ponytail
2) Super-short cutoff dark jeans with a thick belt
3) Thigh-high leggings/stockings
4) No shirt, only reddish bikini top with black print

...then Yoko and Clover would both fall in that lineup. There's a passing deja-vu resemblance, I personally didn't find the comparison entirely unfounded.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3