• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime & Manga novels a success

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I hope Viz hears about this and translates the "True Tenchi Muyo" novels then. Wink
Dachande

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Maybe now we'll be getting other anime related novels over here, namely the Crest/Banner of the Stars novels.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
alangaruku

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping Tokyopop will bring the Gravitation novels ^ ^
guyverfanboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
No surprise that Vampire Hunter D is a hit. D is the man. Twisted Evil As for Viz... I hope they price their novels similar to Tokyopop and Dark Horse.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:10 pm Reply with quote
guyverfanboy wrote:
No surprise that Vampire Hunter D is a hit. D is the man. Twisted Evil As for Viz... I hope they price their novels similar to Tokyopop and Dark Horse.

Sadly, Viz's Socrates in Love is retailed at $17.99 (I think) and the GitS is even more. Crying or Very sad It's gonna hurt to cough up that much money for a starving student like me. At least the FMA novels are a more reasonable $9.99.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm really surprised how well .hack has taken off in general. Anyway, I'm just hoping D's success will lead to a release of the Wicked City, and possibly Shinjuku, novels. Raiser of Gales wasn't quite as satisfying as the first book, but I'm holding out for the upcoming Demon Death Chase.

Feral: I'd understand Socrates, considering the limited audience, but I don't see why they have to price the anime novels that high either.(Well ok, Steamboy didn't do that hot, but I'd say Innocence did well enough to release it at a more reasonable rate.) I'm also looking to fit in Sexy Voice and Robo someday.
guyverfanboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:24 pm Reply with quote
FeralKat wrote:
Sadly, Viz's Socrates in Love is retailed at $17.99 (I think) and the GitS is even more. Crying or Very sad It's gonna hurt to cough up that much money for a starving student like me. At least the FMA novels are a more reasonable $9.99.

$17.99 is waaaay too much for novel. That's too overpriced. I like somewhere between $8.99 or $9.99 is pretty reasonable.
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sadly, Viz's Socrates in Love is retailed at $17.99 (I think) and the GitS is even more. It's gonna hurt to cough up that much money for a starving student like me. At least the FMA novels are a more reasonable $9.99.

I'm eagerly awaiting the FMA novels, which I saw on Amzon.com a while ago. I don't think I'll be able to afford them right away, but sometime, y'know. I want to see what they're like. I've read manga and books, but not a book version of a manga.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:45 pm Reply with quote
guyverfanboy wrote:

$17.99 is waaaay too much for novel. That's too overpriced. I like somewhere between $8.99 or $9.99 is pretty reasonable.

Socrates in Love isn't an anime novel, it's one of the most popular fiction books in Japanese history; the only reason it's even mentioned is because there's also a manga version of it. Viz is probably going for a more mainstream audience with Socrates, hence the higher price; walk into any bookstore and look at the price of a brand-new hardback book and tell me Socrates is overpriced given the market.

Bear in mind both Socrates and the GITS novel are hardbound.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Dachande wrote:
Maybe now we'll be getting other anime related novels over here, namely the Crest/Banner of the Stars novels.

I'd love to see those as well... and I wouldn't mind TokyoPop putting out the novel that takes place in the same universe as Crescent Moon as well (since it was mentioned in one of the first volumes of Crescent Moon fans of that series already know about it and would probably want to pick it up right away when it comes out).
guyverfanboy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:31 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Bear in mind both Socrates and the GITS novel are hardbound.

I kinda thought so, since they were so expensive. Confused
linlinchan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:35 am Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
Dachande wrote:

I'd love to see those as well... and I wouldn't mind TokyoPop putting out the novel that takes place in the same universe as Crescent Moon as well (since it was mentioned in one of the first volumes of Crescent Moon fans of that series already know about it and would probably want to pick it up right away when it comes out).

Any idea what that book is called?
.Sy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:42 am Reply with quote
A lot of books translated from another country are expensive, especially hardback ones. I'd say the Socrates in Love novel isn't too expensive for what it is.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I hope Viz hears about this and translates the "True Tenchi Muyo" novels then. Wink

I'll second that!! (and third and fourth it if I need too Razz)
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Dachande wrote:

I'm all for that as well, being a big fan of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2