• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kodocha DVD 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:08 am Reply with quote
weren't there also censoring of some things in the subtitle track? that's one of the things I heard about the sub that was very off-putting, but I still found it hard to believe that they CENSORED WORDS IN the sub track. Still haven't gotten the dvd, but i'm curious to know the truth or un-truth behind that accusation.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:58 am Reply with quote
I'm confused...

anyway, wasn't it that they couldn't use some stuff so they put audio dropouts in?

As for the dub, I found myself enjoying it

If you stay on though, you'll realize that McFarland took over the writing things and made the scripts more accurate

4th episode onwards is where they stop trying to pitch it to the TV execs *or they gave up on the idea, dunno*
coolGAL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:11 am Reply with quote
I loved the show dubd and subd it was funny and cute and i like babit's voice, the only thing i found dissapointing was the very short comntary and the subtitle incident on episode one 1.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:19 am Reply with quote
OH! Now I remember, yeah, the part where the band memeber guy talks, not only is there an audio dropout, but there's also a replacement of subs where they mention his name *or something*

I also liked Babbit and Zenjiro in the dub... I can't really imagine them sounding any different in English at this point

... which reminds me, I'm kinda wondering why they translated his speech impediment into the subs... it was pretty hard to read considering I'm dyslexic

About the commentary: Yeah, it was short, but it's not like I'll see it again, so it's nice that it's of that length

... It's nice to know that Bailey and Clinkenbeard have already seen the whole series Anime smile
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:35 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
I'm confused...

anyway, wasn't it that they couldn't use some stuff so they put audio dropouts in?

As for the dub, I found myself enjoying it

If you stay on though, you'll realize that McFarland took over the writing things and made the scripts more accurate

4th episode onwards is where they stop trying to pitch it to the TV execs *or they gave up on the idea, dunno*

That whole audio thing is because they couldn't get the rights to that first opening song, and since in the first episode the lead singer makes a cameo appearance, they had to deal with that. No big deal, I thought.

I did start noticing an improvement in episode 4 and I suspect the dub gets much better once the actors find their legs; that's a really common thing for most dubs anyway. I look forward to following this dub over future volumes to see how it improves, especially if McFarland is on board.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:47 am Reply with quote
You totally should've talked about the rapping

It was AWESOME Shocked
DBW

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
That whole audio thing is because they couldn't get the rights to that first opening song.

Yep, the original first opening was called "juu-kuu-ji no nyuusu" (7 O'clock News), and was done by a band named TOKIO. Sony wouldn't give FUNimation the rights to use the song or the band's title on their release, so some audio had to be cut.

Obviously, the opening credits had to be cut and replaced with the second opening "Ultra Relax". The audio for the episode previews is missing for a good chunk of episodes. There's that big audio cut in episode 1 when Sana thanks the singer for doing the theme song (the words TOKIO, 7 O'clock News, and Mamo-chan are editted out of the subs). There's also another scene in episode 2 where the theme song plays as a piece of background music for a couple seconds, and that audio is cut. I think that's everything, though.
Serge

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:42 pm Reply with quote
DBW wrote:
Zac wrote:
That whole audio thing is because they couldn't get the rights to that first opening song.

Yep, the original first opening was called "juu-kuu-ji no nyuusu" (7 O'clock News), and was done by a band named TOKIO. Sony wouldn't give FUNimation the rights to use the song or the band's title on their release, so some audio had to be cut.

Obviously, the opening credits had to be cut and replaced with the second opening "Ultra Relax". The audio for the episode previews is missing for a good chunk of episodes. There's that big audio cut in episode 1 when Sana thanks the singer for doing the theme song (the words TOKIO, 7 O'clock News, and Mamo-chan are editted out of the subs). There's also another scene in episode 2 where the theme song plays as a piece of background music for a couple seconds, and that audio is cut. I think that's everything, though.

Not to mention that the Dub was COMPLETELY Watered Down from the Original, don't beleive me? Get the DVD, it's bad...
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I don't watch the dub, so that doesn't matter. if the sub is good, then I'm happy.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:56 pm Reply with quote
DBW: If it's Sony, then it's really stupid, because they could make money off the soundtrack in the U.S. One less reason to go for a PS3. Well that, and the fact that they're sitting on the Japanese Street Fighter track.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:17 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
DBW: If it's Sony, then it's really stupid, because they could make money off the soundtrack in the U.S. One less reason to go for a PS3.

Ah, Planet GATSU, where reasoning like this makes sense somehow.
DBW

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Serge wrote:
Not to mention that the Dub was COMPLETELY Watered Down from the Original, don't beleive me? Get the DVD, it's bad...

I haven't seen the dub yet, but I've heard that the whole concept of Rei being Sana's pimp has been removed. I'm guessing they also removed the stuff where the mom explains the rules for sleeping with her daughter. Razz
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, they fix that after 3 episodes when McFarland took over where REI is a pimp again and so on and so forth

... also, at the current prices of the NEXT-GEN stuff, I don't think I'll be able to afford anything without cutting into my damn DVD budget Confused

... I sure hope Nintendo releases the revolution at 200$
coolGAL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:33 pm Reply with quote
The dub was pretty good i thought Laura Bailey made a perfect Sana, i found it pretty interesting that on the comntary that spoiler[Laura could get the raps in one take and that for the the vibration walkie talkies the actors would grab ther troughts and shake them really fast Laughing .]

Last edited by coolGAL on Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:42 pm Reply with quote
She intitally tried to PHYSICALLY shake though, but that wasn't going anywhere Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2