• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Automatic merging of newer post to older post by same author in discussion threads

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:21 am Reply with quote
Dear Sirs/Madams,

I do not post that often at ANN forums, but when I do I notice that the board can not automatically merge recent posts when these are done right away, in row.

I mean situation when I am writing one answer, and then I see some new comment and decide to answer to it, too. I need to get a quote, and click "Reply" button. Forum's engine creates separate post, rather than automatically adding to already existing one.

Many forums do this if existing is fresh enough, but not at ANN. I am sure "phpBB" already can do this, and the option can be installed/switched on. Or it could be done manually through some amount of PHP programming tweaks.

Thanks in advance.

(Of course, I understand that there is manual way to do things without creating two posts in row, but it is not convenient.)
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:43 am Reply with quote
Interesting idea, although I'm not certain if I'd want the forum to automatically merge posts. The author may make separate posts for a reason (slightly different topics, replying to different people, etc...)

Regardless, the version of phpbb that we are using does not have this feature, it is not something that can be "switched on." There quite probably is a mod available, but unless a lot of people tell me they want this feature, I don't see installing the mod as being worth the effort.

-t
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
As an admin of another phpBB, the only thing I personally know of is a mod that forces an edit to the previous post if the person with the newest post tries replying again, within a certain time frame. But that's an anti-bumping mod, not really what you're looking for.

What you're looking for I don't think is possible in phpBB, at least not at this point.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for clarification, Tempest.

Dessa is right, I meant the mode which merges posts conditionally, i.e. depending on whether it was "recent" or not. I did not outline it clear enough.

Also, moderators might want an exclusion from this merging mode when they add posts to otherwise read-only, "sticked" threads.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
What I have seen on other boards is that a second post will be added to the bottom of the previous one with an annotation ("added by [user] on [date] at [time]" or whatever).

The only time on these forums I would make multiple posts is raising multiple issues to the same thread, and even then only if it is an older topic where an edit would go un-noticed or a completely separate issue. Otherwise I would place multiple replies, with quotes, in a single post (in a looong thread I ctrl+click the reply buttons on posts I want to reply to then cut and paste the replies together).

However, on Mania or Fandom Post, for example, if replying to multiple people in a thread I would make multiple separate posts since those forums support threading (in fact it is required in ongoing series discussion threads since there are per-episode subthreads, although I personally view in flat mode anyway). Since the display here is flat only there is no real benefit and It has been ingrained in me that "multiposting is bad".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1