• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Heaven's Lost Property Blu-Ray + DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
Tried to watch this show 3 different times using time intervals between viewings as a means to forget certain episodes to assure I was being fair to the series. I enjoy some harem stories and I'm not offended by a little T & A on display here and there in more substantive shows. But I couldn't finish this show or its following season. I felt the insipid, repetitive behavioral traits written into this series displayed by the larger of the female "angels" in certain scenes was just too demeaning toward women, even if animated.

I may give the series another chance someday but it would be under certain conditions: 1) I be awarded tax-free 3 million dollars USD first; 2) I will be afforded the lobotomy necessary; and 3) that neccessity must be performed by a physician competent enough so re-watch of this series will assure my mental state and physical comportment remain unaffected afterward.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:47 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Mawdryn wrote:
I thought this series was hilarious. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who doesn't like busty harem shows, but if you don't mind that, it's a riot. I thought the English dub was excellent, with Greg Ayres in prime comedic form.

Both I and Blood- do generally like "busty harem shows" but we both ultimately had tepid responses to this one. In fact, I actually found it to be a chore to watch most of the time.

I think it would have been saved by full on topless nudity, the character design and breast design is too perfect to be wasted on not giving the goods. This is even more abundantly wanting in the second season, when we get even more characters.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:36 am Reply with quote
From the art and the story, this seems to be a direct, shameless rip-off of DearS, but with added ecchi.

Why don't they just reissue DearS instead? I've had the first DVD in the set flapping forlornly around my collection for years now. It was quite funny, and had an awesome 70s-style soundtrack (think Barry White).
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:04 am Reply with quote
I don't mind shameless ripoffs at all but thanks for the mention, might be something interesting to check out. Not sure that the character designs are quite as good though.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
From the art and the story, this seems to be a direct, shameless rip-off of DearS, but with added ecchi.

If you had stopped there, I would agree that yes it does share some similarities in certain regards, but it also combines many other influences that aren't even limited to anime...

eyeresist wrote:
Why don't they just reissue DearS instead?

...but then you just had to go there. Surely on some level you already realize that if one says there's no need for anything that shares even vague or superficial similarities with an earlier work, we could go back a lot further than anime, so there's no point in having any of it. In many cases we ought to be able to settle for reproductions of ancient clay tablets. Anime, live-action TV shows and movies, novels, songs, and so on are always to some extent influenced by or blatantly mimic those that came before them, just get used to it because that's the way it is. We wouldn't even have genres if the first thing to have some reasonably distinct quality or formula were also the last.

Sorry if I'm coming off as a bit harsh over something you probably just blurted out not expecting anyone to take it too seriously. It's the kind of thing I see taken to a ridiculous extent all too often, so the concept itself just grates on my nerves.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2