Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking: February 6-12




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 7918
Location: IL
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:09 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, under 2k BDs. Even worse than I expected for Age. Guess that makes it officially the worst-selling Gundam ever. No longer will people refer to X (even though it got cancelled) or Turn A when referring to Gundam series that were flops. Both of those sold more than double what Age did.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Westlo



Joined: 03 Oct 2002
Posts: 1684
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:38 am Reply with quote
I always though Hino was a horrible choice by Sunrise, and now Age has flopped on all fronts. Give the next new Gundam series to Goro Taniguchi, and instead of taking over like with Geass R2, let him do what he actually wants to, heck he can't do any worse than Gundam Age.

No one in Sunrise deserves the chance more, instead they keep outsourcing and bring in people because they directed FMA or make video games (with crap stories).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
sainta



Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 989
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote
Are the sales from the Fullmetal movie good? I haven't been seeing these lists too much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 7918
Location: IL
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
They're not awful, but it's certainly not what you would expect from the Full Metal Alchemist franchise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanSaotome



Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 4210
Location: Towson, Maryland
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
They're not awful, but it's certainly not what you would expect from the Full Metal Alchemist franchise.


They seem fine to me given the sales of Brotherhood. The series is obviously no where as popular as they once were, but are in line from what you'd expect nowadays.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 7918
Location: IL
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Right, but it's a movie. Movies tend to sell way better than the TV series does. Take Gintama for example. The DVDs get around 15k but the movie got around 100k if I remember right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ushio



Joined: 31 Jul 2005
Posts: 500
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
First week sales for the last few gundam series

SEED - 58.5k
Destiny - 68.7k
00 S1 - 39.3k
00 S2 - 34.6k
Age - 2k

OUCH

The model kits have also flopped with many at 70%+ discount.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kaioshin_Sama



Joined: 05 Feb 2005
Posts: 1215
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
I always though Hino was a horrible choice by Sunrise, and now Age has flopped on all fronts. Give the next new Gundam series to Goro Taniguchi, and instead of taking over like with Geass R2, let him do what he actually wants to, heck he can't do any worse than Gundam Age.

No one in Sunrise deserves the chance more, instead they keep outsourcing and bring in people because they directed FMA or make video games (with crap stories).


Actually Westlo the show has just not sold as much as past Gundam series, the story itself is actually picking up in a big way and a lot of people are starting to really get into the show so it can't be said to be failing on all fronts, but you wouldn't know that would you since all you've ever cared about as a way of judging a shows quality is how many discs a show can push in it's opening week. Such a shallow way of following anime...these days I really do pity you bro. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
potatochobit
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 26 Aug 2009
Posts: 1368
Location: TEXAS
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for Please! friends
I have not watched ano natsu yet, waiting to marathon it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ArsenicSteel



Joined: 12 Jan 2010
Posts: 2370
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
They're not awful, but it's certainly not what you would expect from the Full Metal Alchemist franchise.


They seem fine to me given the sales of Brotherhood. The series is obviously no where as popular as they once were, but are in line from what you'd expect nowadays.


It seems about right for FMA and the type of fans it attracts. The movie made most of its money at the theaters and 10k sales for the BD is good for this time of year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE



Joined: 11 Nov 2010
Posts: 465
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm really hoping age is brought over here and dubbed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Westlo



Joined: 03 Oct 2002
Posts: 1684
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Westlo wrote:
I always though Hino was a horrible choice by Sunrise, and now Age has flopped on all fronts. Give the next new Gundam series to Goro Taniguchi, and instead of taking over like with Geass R2, let him do what he actually wants to, heck he can't do any worse than Gundam Age.

No one in Sunrise deserves the chance more, instead they keep outsourcing and bring in people because they directed FMA or make video games (with crap stories).


Actually Westlo the show has just not sold as much as past Gundam series, the story itself is actually picking up in a big way and a lot of people are starting to really get into the show so it can't be said to be failing on all fronts, but you wouldn't know that would you since all you've ever cared about as a way of judging a shows quality is how many discs a show can push in it's opening week. Such a shallow way of following anime...these days I really do pity you bro. :(


My fav tv show of the last ten years is Baccano, it sold horribly (yet better than Age), my fav ova is Time of Eve, another title that didn't sell like crazy... you see I'm perfectly capable of talking about the sales of the show (and its chances of a sequel) and separating that from the actual show itself. So your argument is flawed and/or you're a moron who can't separate the two things. If I said Baccano sold like shit and will never get a sequel am I dissing the show? Seeing as how you constantly get butthurt whenever I talk about AGE I guess you would say yes to that lol...

And you know if anyone should be pitied it's yourself. You gleefully talk shit about Nichijou's sales flopping @ 3k on MAL (and than get butthurt when people object lol) and when Age sales 2k you pull the "sales don't matter if you enjoy it" card. You talk shit about Horizon because of the character designs but when AGE comes out you chastise people for judging only on character designs. You constantly tell people not to post in threads if they don't like the show yet you watched raws of shows in the past of ones you didn't like and than whined about them across every forum and your blog. Seriously man wtf is this shit? You're a hypocrite of the highest level and you have problems, look into it.

Oh and instead of replying with some bullshit actually reply to my argument instead of some cute little personal attacks. You know I'm a Taniguchi fan, and if you disagree with my he deserves it the most comment than provide the name of someone in Sunrise who hasn't done gundam before and does. You know I hated the Hino and Level 5 appointment from the start and the low ratings and sales had nothing to do with that, you know I couldn't give a fudge about character designs after I lectured you about the bullshit you were saying about Horizon.

Play the ball not the man, if you can.

And so to play the ball, you say AGE is getting good now, great, but why should I have to suffer through countless weeks of mediocrity, when I can barely keep up with shows I actually like in the first place.

If AGE is so good now than why is Gundam Unicorn capable of selling over 150k while Age can't even do 2k. You want to blame high sales to pandering to otakus but if so explain Unicorn. And if you say well they have good taste than why haven't they bought AGE than? Is their 148k people who shallowly judge character designs as you did with Horizon?


Last edited by Westlo on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Kaioshin_Sama



Joined: 05 Feb 2005
Posts: 1215
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
My favorite tv show of the last ten years is baccano, it sold horribly (yet better than Age), my favorite ova is Time of Eve. Sadly this shows your reasoning to be moronic and you pathetically aren't able to discern the difference between talking about the show itself and it's performance. You know you can separate the two things, it's like talking about someone at work and saying they're a great person but they suck at their job.


Hey man, if you took more qualitative looks at the show you follow that'd be all the proof I need, but the way I see almost every post you make around the internet involves some sort of discussion about sales and it makes it look like that's all you care about anymore. Hell the fact that you needed to justify Baccano to me by saying something like it sold better than AGE just seems to further prove that that's the angle you prefer to take...a quantitative based evaluation of entertainment.

Quote:
And you know if anyone should be pitied it's yourself. You gleefully talk shit about Nichijou's sales flopping @ 3k and when Age sales 2k you pull the "sales don't matter if you enjoy it" card.


Hey man, again the way I see it I recall once suggesting that I was surprised that a Kyoani TV show could fail on that front given how crazy supportive the companies fans are and that maybe it would be a good lesson for them to learn from the financial failure of a show and where they can improve. The way I see it that particular company had been historically babied by it's fans and never really had to deal with the prospect of one it's projects not being a hit cause those fans would always find a way to champion whatever silly gimmick or mediocre (in my estimation at least) work they would get involved in. If that seems like gloating then so be it, but it wasn't actually meant to be.

Quote:
You talk shit about Horizon because of the character designs but when AGE comes out you chastise people for judging only on character designs.


Again you take one of my viewpoints out of it's original context. The reaction I had to Horizon initially was on of surprise that Sunrise was getting involved with a project that looked like pure fanservice, but that didn't mean I was going to sit there and bash the hell out of the show as a result of it and of course gave it a chance and enjoyed it. That's more than some of the people involved with criticizing AGE's designs ever did.

Quote:
You constantly tell people not to post in threads if they don't like the show yet you watched raws of shows in the past of ones you didn't like and than whined about them across every forum and your blog.


Yes well....I was a bit of an idiot back then with a bone to pick and it's not like I exactly still support the idea of the watching a show just to bash it approach, but I'm also not going to deny that it's something that I did engage in at one point.

Quote:
You're a hypocrite of the highest level and you have problems man, look into it.


Misunderstood is how I'd rather put it, and if I have problems they're probably more of the people assuming the worst of my intentions because of past mistakes type as opposed to deeply rooted failings of logic and reason.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group