• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Making the Digital Jump With Viz Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
InitialT wrote:
First: Thanks to Carlo for updating the article with accurate information.

Regarding the Nook support for manga - it's currently only for Nook Tablet and Nook Color. Prior to making a purchase from the B&N site, they tell you exactly which devices currently support that content.

That doesn't mean it will never be supported on any other devices. The same thing happened last year when they first introduced magazines. At first, it was only on Nook Color. Then within a few months, it was on the free Nook apps for all Android and iOS devices.

Cross your fingers and hope the same happens here for manga.

If it was just for manga, I'd be nervous. However, this does seem to be the upgrade to the Nook Color / Tablet "only" ebook content in general, and they are not going to leave the money from the sales of all of that content "on the table". So look for an upgrade to the Nook Android and Nook iOS app sometime this year. Personally I'd expect it in the first half, but in any event no later than the Xmas2012 shopping season.

vashna wrote:
I could see that. From my point of view, I've been talking about using a large flat screen monitor from a desktop computer, so we're in quite different worlds. I wish I could use my Nook for it, but as I've said before I'm reading on the original eInk Nook and not a color version. Desktop reading works fine though.

Yeah, maybe the Nook Simple Touch when the general Android app comes out, since it can be rooted and already successfully runs Amazon, Kobo, and Aldiko Android apps ... but otherwise it seems they are targeting the upgraded ePub reader at multi-media content, so B&N's focus will likely be on the media tablets, tablet PC's like the iPad, and smartphones.

I tried the Viz online reader again with the Nook Color in portrait single page and it was so close, but still after ten pages my eyes were hurting. I've tried the GuidedView on JManga, and it works great for reading on both my netbook and my NC (though the site itself is very laggy on the NC), and I quite like it. But it doesn't have to be pure panel to panel ~ locking zoom on page turn and passing through the "right to left N" from top right, bottom right, top left and bottom left would be quite workable.

But until I hear that either they've got something like that on the Nook Color or its available for ePub manga if I jailbreak the Nook DRM, I'm not yet in the market for eTankoubon.
vashna

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote
From what you're saying then, agila61, I take it that some emails to Barnes and Noble to support the older original platform aren't going to do much good, right? It's a shame, because the original Nook is the best physically designed in the whole family of eReaders. I also have trouble, as I mentioned before, using many types of backlit screens because of a developmental disability.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
From what you're saying then, agila61, I take it that some emails to Barnes and Noble to support the older original platform aren't going to do much good, right? It's a shame, because the original Nook is the best physically designed in the whole family of eReaders. I also have trouble, as I mentioned before, using many types of backlit screens because of a developmental disability.

Well, I don't have any inside info, and I'd never discourage letting firms know what you want, I'm just saying I wouldn't have high hopes for the 3g.

However, the Nook Simple Touch is an eInk reader, and it can already be rooted to use a number of general Android apps, so when B&N comes out with their general Android ePub3.0 ereader app, we could look out to see if it gets added to the working apps list for a rooted NST.

And it might help to remind them that their upgraded format is for visual novels, not just multimedia, so they ought to upgrade their NST to let it do that.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote
Its to bad their digital releases are way behind the phyiscal ones.

Good idea, poor exicution. If they get something like cr with same day releases then it might be worth it, but as it stands now scanslators release copies sometimes weeks before even the official release.
vashna

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:50 am Reply with quote
Before I seriously consider anything like that in the future, I was wondering if rooting out a device like that was legal. Though I realize how it is done, and how it voids the warranty, I wanted to make sure that doing so doesn't violate some sort of patent protection. Then again, I also realize that Google Android is arguably open source software, which would suggest an air of legality.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
Before I seriously consider anything like that in the future, I was wondering if rooting out a device like that was legal. Though I realize how it is done, and how it voids the warranty, I wanted to make sure that doing so doesn't violate some sort of patent protection. Then again, I also realize that Google Android is arguably open source software, which would suggest an air of legality.

The short answer is that I think we'll find out for sure later this year. The original exemption issued by the Librarian of Congress from DCMA anti-circumvention language was for cellphones, but the AFAIU the EFF had only petitioned for cellphones. It seems to me that the same logic applies, but having the Librarian of Congress explicitly rule would make it unambiguous. So, IOW, check into the EFF, when the 2012 exemption rulings are announced, they'll cover it.

Long answer, I believe the relevant legal question is under DCMA copyright, since rooting / jailbreaking / etc. is argued by some manufacturers to be a circumvention of a copyright control system. The EFF petitioned the Library of Congress to rule on the question of rooting cellphones, and the Librarian of Congress ruled (excerpted):
Quote:
Section 1201(a)(1) of the copyright law requires that every three years I am to determine whether there are any classes of works that will be subject to exemptions from the statute’s prohibition against circumvention of technology that effectively controls access to a copyrighted work. I make that determination at the conclusion of a rulemaking proceeding conducted by the Register of Copyrights, who makes a recommendation to me. Based on that proceeding and the Register’s recommendation, I am to determine whether the prohibition on circumvention of technological measures that control access to copyrighted works is causing or is likely to cause adverse effects on the ability of users of any particular classes of copyrighted works to make noninfringing uses of those works. The classes of works that I designated in the previous proceeding expire at the end of the current proceeding unless proponents of a class prove their case once again.
(2) Computer programs that enable wireless telephone handsets to execute software applications, where circumvention is accomplished for the sole purpose of enabling interoperability of such applications, when they have been lawfully obtained, with computer programs on the telephone handset.

(3) Computer programs, in the form of firmware or software, that enable used wireless telephone handsets to connect to a wireless telecommunications network, when circumvention is initiated by the owner of the copy of the computer program solely in order to connect to a wireless telecommunications network and access to the network is authorized by the operator of the network.

That was 2009, before the Nook Color existed. With a three year term on a ruling, these are expiring and EFF is petitioning for both smartphones and tablets this time.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:54 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
potatochobit wrote:
the recycle arguement is stupid
no one throws away comics - no one.

As far as manga ~ the US has not had the equivalent to the 200pp weekly serials for $2.50 / $3 an issue, so we don't have the same culture of tossing it in the trash unless someone else wants it.

In addition to that, the Shonen Jumps are huge and printed on very low quality paper. The magazines would eat up space as the year goes by, and even if someone does keep them, the paper deteriorates not long afterwards to where they're unreadable.

Which makes me wonder--does anybody archive the non-manga sections of these magazines? They wouldn't show up in the higher-quality books released afterwards. When they're tossed out, they're gone forever.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Which makes me wonder--does anybody archive the non-manga sections of these magazines? They wouldn't show up in the higher-quality books released afterwards. When they're tossed out, they're gone forever.

Why, yes, the bootleggers do ~ there are RAW manga scanners who'll scan the whole issue, cover to cover.

I assume that the publisher also keeps an archive, but whether that would be publicly accessible is a good question to pose someone working in the industry in Japan.
InitialT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
grooveygirl wrote:
I have also downloaded the Nook app and trust me it sucks for reading manga (downloaded a DMP title to test it out). So even if VIZ titles were not Nook tablet specific I wouldn't use the Nook app to read manga titles.

The reason it "sucks" for reading DMP titles (and also Seven Seas titles), is that they were published as epubs. That format is meant for text based books and has fixed width pictures that can't be panned and zoomed. All of those were published before Nook Comics was launched and have nothing to do with what's being talked about on this thread.

The Viz titles (and Yen Press and Marvel Comics) are all using the new Nook Comics format. That's why it's only currently available on Nook Tablet and Nook Color. If you were able to view the book on one of the apps, it's not a Nook Comic.

Nook Comics give you panning and zooming and let you flick through the contents with thumbnails of each page. IMHO it gives you what you need to read a manga. (Incidentally, I bought the whole Amazing Agent series from Seven Seas in Epub and I was able to read it just fine, but I'm hoping they will re-release it using the new format.)
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
InitialT wrote:
First: Thanks to Carlo for updating the article with accurate information.

Regarding the Nook support for manga - it's currently only for Nook Tablet and Nook Color. Prior to making a purchase from the B&N site, they tell you exactly which devices currently support that content.

That doesn't mean it will never be supported on any other devices. The same thing happened last year when they first introduced magazines. At first, it was only on Nook Color. Then within a few months, it was on the free Nook apps for all Android and iOS devices.

Cross your fingers and hope the same happens here for manga.

If it was just for manga, I'd be nervous. However, this does seem to be the upgrade to the Nook Color / Tablet "only" ebook content in general, and they are not going to leave the money from the sales of all of that content "on the table". So look for an upgrade to the Nook Android and Nook iOS app sometime this year. Personally I'd expect it in the first half, but in any event no later than the Xmas2012 shopping season.

Called it! Smile On the Nook BookClub forum, three hours ago:
BN_AlexG (administrator) wrote:
Hi everyone!

We're looking for volunteers to help beta test our latest NOOK for Android Free Reading App (for both Tablets and Phones).

If you’d like an opportunity to help, please email [email protected] with the following information:

- email address
- device(s)
- OS in use
- phone number

Volunteers will receive a message with more information.

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you!

-Alex

So someone interested in making sure that the Viz Nook editions look good on a general Android device, now's your chance to contribute.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

Called it! Smile On the Nook BookClub forum, three hours ago:
BN_AlexG (administrator) wrote:
Hi everyone!

We're looking for volunteers to help beta test our latest NOOK for Android Free Reading App (for both Tablets and Phones).

If you’d like an opportunity to help, please email [email protected] with the following information:

- email address
- device(s)
- OS in use
- phone number

Volunteers will receive a message with more information.

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you!

-Alex

So someone interested in making sure that the Viz Nook editions look good on a general Android device, now's your chance to contribute.

While this is encouraging, I want to note that there's already a Nook Android app and this message does not confirm that manga will be available on the new app, merely that they are testing a new app (new version?). I'm hopeful this means we can get manga on the new app, but until the app comes out or B&N confirms ALL content will be on it, we don't know what this new app will bring.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
While this is encouraging, I want to note that there's already a Nook Android app and this message does not confirm that manga will be available on the new app, merely that they are testing a new app (new version?).

Aha! OK, I'll ask.

Quote:
I'm hopeful this means we can get manga on the new app, but until the app comes out or B&N confirms ALL content will be on it, we don't know what this new app will bring.

But wouldn't you admit that the odds that they are investing in major beta release testing across multiple devices for something that is just a maintenance update of the app they already have are awfully low?

There's never any guarantee that they won't have to trim some capability out of the app, at least for some Android versions ~ for example, the full multimedia capabilities might not be supporters across all Android versions ~ but if people don't want that to happen for their device when there's no need, they ought to sign up as beta testers.
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Could I read an issue of SJ on the Kindle Fire just by using the web browser?
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Kidnicky wrote:
Could I read an issue of SJ on the Kindle Fire just by using the web browser?

You could give it a crack. You'll want to set it to single page in landscape then turn it to portrait to read (the options button goes off-screen in portrait). If you are comfortable reading it without zooming, you'll be OK. Otherwise zooming is not very responsive, the zoom control is not sized for touchscreen control, and since you have to reset the zoom every page, it gets old ~ for example, missing the zoom, getting the tap read as next page or previous page, and the page turn dumping the zoom back where you started. If you had a capacitive touchscreen stylus it would probably work better in zoom and pan use.

But if the default zoom level works for you, it ought to work fine. You can test easily enough, register for a free account, go to series, and hit one of the manga previews.
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Well,that's just the thing-I don't have either a Nook Color or Kindle Fire,and I'm trying to decide which to buy.
Is SJ Alpha readable on one,both,or neither,and if both,is it BETTER on one or the other?

I also follow Action Comics,Incredible Hulk,and Justice League,but I think through comixology you can read those on whatever,at least as far as I know.

This whole thing is so confusing. I already have a kindle touch,I figured it would be fine for manga if not American comics (manga's in B&W!),but no,I have to buy a whole 'nother thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7