• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Unauthorized Manga Translation Site Pulls Shonen Jump, Viz Titles

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bastille

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Viz states this yet does not provide the service that is in demand from the fanbase. Their service offers the chapters 2 weeks after they come out in Japan and does not include all of the series offered by MangaStream. If they offered a directly comparable service, I would have some sympathy for them. However, they do not and, as a result of their actions, they took down a scanlation group that had respect for them, taking down their versions once Viz put theirs up.

There are plenty of groups capable of providing what MangaStream did on a service level but few that would show Viz the level of respect that MangaStream had. From my perspective, all they did was get egg on their face.
angieness

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I hope Viz is able to gradually close the gap between when the series comes out in Japan, and when it shows up in SJA. While 2 weeks isn't a long time by any stretch, a lot of people aren't going to wait when they can still find the series a day after the chapter got published. While I still read scanlations, I did buy a subscription to SJA to support it as I want to see it succeed. I figure once Viz gets things refined, the turn around time will be a lot closer to when it's released in Japan.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
The main problem SJA has is region restriction. Good for Viz for trying to do something, but most of the world is not North America.
AnkiRendan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, Viz. There's one slight problem. My favourite manga are Gintama and Reborn. Why are they not in your list?
Orange Hollow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
What a heavy blow on piracy! Now those thieves will have to google "manga download free" and make a new bookmark in a browser, that will show them. I think this is a great victory.

Last edited by Orange Hollow on Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
mrsatan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Why would someone bother scanlating something that's going to come out legally in a mere 2 weeks anyways?

I'm all for scanlating, but it really should only be done with titles that have a snowball's chance in hell of coming out in English. Or titles that the English publisher dropped.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Bastille wrote:
Viz states this yet does not provide the service that is in demand from the fanbase. Their service offers the chapters 2 weeks after they come out in Japan and does not include all of the series offered by MangaStream. If they offered a directly comparable service, I would have some sympathy for them. However, they do not and, as a result of their actions, they took down a scanlation group that had respect for them, taking down their versions once Viz put theirs up.

There are plenty of groups capable of providing what MangaStream did on a service level but few that would show Viz the level of respect that MangaStream had. From my perspective, all they did was get egg on their face.

Oh please, Mangastream only took down the chapters because they thought that Viz would ignore them if they did it. Instead of asking people to support the creator of their favorite shonen jump manga, MS instead bitterly claimed that no one buys Viz products because they are "inferior" despite the fact that Viz gets the pages directly from Shueisha (meaning better quality) and their translation is very similar to MS (translation is very rarely an exact science especially something like Japanese).
bradc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
Why would someone bother scanlating something that's going to come out legally in a mere 2 weeks anyways?

I'm all for scanlating, but it really should only be done with titles that have a snowball's chance in hell of coming out in English. Or titles that the English publisher dropped.

Same question would apply: Would one go to a store and buy something (book, milk, stale bread) that's two weeks old?
Hiyugi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy In before the complainers...

This has to happen to make sure the U.S. Manga industry to rebound. I can see the real complainers will be the ones not from the U.S about this news as I've read on comments on many different facebook accounts.

Rolling Eyes It's going to be crazy from hear on out from different countries pissed off at us. The majority of people that went to "Mangastream" were international viewers that can read in english, because their countries don't provide latest volumes to their citizens. So their only choice to get the latest books are to import them from us, because we're the only country that is up-to-date with any manga releases.

Hopefully some of them can understand the concept "Don't Bite the Hand that Feeds You", in other words don't screw up your only outlet for manga. Unfortunately, some international fans can't accept this consolation, because they hunger for digital chapters like crack addicts on the pipe, no offense.

Numerous of Manga-kas are furious enough that their mangas outside of Japan are getting stolen from the fans that say they love them, but don't support them. Of course this debate has been going on for a good decade, with the "so-called-fans" claiming their right to read it for free proclamation.

Even though Manga-kas like Masashi Kishimoto, Kubo Tite, Eiichiro Oda, and Akira Toriyama most likely makes millions for their titles, but honestly...they should be making billions worldwide...

The world is not that "kind" to hardworking people just like the other mangakas and their workers that help put those chapters out every week in Japan.

It might explain why awesome titles like Black Lagoon and Highschool of the Dead aren't making new volumes or new chapters anymore.

Sadly, some of the world's populace is full of leeches...and that's a "A BIG SOME".

Again it's not Viz's fault that a certain series of volumes are discontinued...Shueisha made Viz take them off, so they can access the situation of why the volumes over in the U.S. are not selling. I can understand why they don't release them too fast over in the states, because they can't be to close to the Japanese release that it takes them at least 3-4 months to release their version. Kind of like how we're all caught up with Claymore and D.Gray-man. Japan wants to make sure there is consistence for the volumes that we receive.

Evil or Very Mad But of course, some people will never understand that fact about manga volumes and how their sale rate consumptions differ from U.S and Japan.

*rant over* Crying or Very sad
Fireline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Article and response from five days ago, when this happened:

http://shonenbeam.com/2012/02/11/mangastream-drops-viz-series/

In short, Viz is within their rights to do this, but they're misguided in doing it now, rather than first focusing on making Shonen Jump Alpha much better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
bradc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Hiyugi wrote:

This has to happen to make sure the U.S. Manga industry to rebound. I can see the real complainers will be the ones not from the U.S about this news as I've read on comments on many different facebook accounts.

Frankly it hasn't rebound since Border filed for bankruptcy and closing its many franchise stores across US. While a numerous of manga publishing companies that were in US are also closed. Tokyo Pop being one of the examples since last year April 2011. This is going to help the industry? It seems rather short-sighted.

Last edited by bradc on Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
The only problem I have with it is that Viz dropped Reborn after Volume 16, claiming "indefinite hiatus." Viz has a habit of dropping series, i.e. Zatch Bell, Shakugan no Shana. However, I imagine this came from higher up, by which I mean Shueisha. Like when Abridged Series keep getting pulled off of Youtube by automated bots despite the fact that, for example, Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged is the only reason anyone is into Yu-Gi-Oh at all anymore. It's a blanket judgement that covers more area than necessary, like SOPA and ACTA. The other series that they're still actively publishing, I say yes take them down, but Reborn should be left alone. It's languishing in Licensing hell, as Viz putting it in "hiatus" means no one else well be publishing it any time soon.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
vashthekaizoku wrote:
Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged is the only reason anyone is into Yu-Gi-Oh at all anymore

Uh, no. Not even in the slightest bit.

(Frankly the less Abridged Series that clutter up YouTube, the better, and throw out all those AVGN rip offs while you're at it like the Irate Gamer and Nostalgia Critic)

Anyway, the complainers make me laugh. Not because of legal reason, but because they're too lazy to actually pirate stuff normally. Just like the people who rely on YouTube and other stream sites to watch pirated stuff and can't be bothered to invest in torrents or DDLs. If you're not even going to put in the 'effort' (and I use this word very loosely) to pirate, then you don't even have a leg to stand on. Actually, you wouldn't have one anyway, since this shut down doesn't effect normal pirates in any way shape or form.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I know I already made some other points on the other topic in the manga forum, but I think Viz is doing what they can, with the resources they have and with what their parent company allows. Speaking of parent company, Shueisha recently C&D'd another scan site for Bakuman and Beelzebub. Yet, no one tries to aruge or cry when it's Shueisha's name and not Viz'...

Also to note, that the MAIN issue with sites like MangaStream, is that they released scans BEFORE the actual issue of Shonen Jump reached Japanese stores, so think of those as physical stolen copies that were leaked from.

Oh, and why the focus on MS? Well, as said in the Unofficial One Piece podcast, people were actually POSTING MS'S LINK on Viz' pages saying "why wait when you can read it here now for free??" Yeah, that's why they targeted it...
bradc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:

Oh, and why the focus on MS? Well, as said in the Unofficial One Piece podcast, people were actually POSTING MS'S LINK on Viz' pages saying "why wait when you can read it here now for free??" Yeah, that's why they targeted it...

MS has too big of an ego compare to the others. Which begs the questions why can't some fans wait couples days for the manga to be released before it hit the Japanese bookstores? So everyone can enjoy, instead of complain to the authors and editors how a manga should be written.

Last edited by bradc on Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11