• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Inu x Boku Secret Service (Inu × Boku SS) (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supercreep

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure how I feel about this series so far. I think I like it? I certainly enjoy some of the characters. Having never seen Fruits Basket I can't comment on that particular scene.

I suppose, if nothing else, it does seem to be some nice fluff.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Hooray for bunny eared buttler, kind of reminds me of Nonohara from Hayate or Break from Pandora Hearts, though with more making yaoi trolling scenes. He even stole the ED, though I don't know what it meant. Though they are supposed to be body guards, made funny by the concierge.
supercreep

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:47 am Reply with quote
After episode 4 I can officially say that I like this series. I thought this was by far the funniest episode, and gave us spoiler[another tease about her agent's backstory]. Unfortunately the crunchy roll stream didn't translate the shenanigans going on during the credits. Perhaps they'll amend that?
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:
I suppose, if nothing else, it does seem to be some nice fluff.

I'm not really sure about that, but I wouldn't mind if that's all it was. I don't want to look into it due to the risk of encountering spoilers, but it has the feel of something that's going to spend some time introducing and developing characters before a full-blown plot kicks in for the last couple episodes.

Perhaps that's just wishful thinking though, but the characters are indeed well-conceived enough to drive a single cours anime all on their own. I'm not terribly fond of tsundere, but they're often extreme and are there for some mix of appeal to masochists and the convenient ability to transition out of ecchi scenes with a sudden outburst of unjustified violence - more of a device than a character. Ririchiyo has a more mild temperament, a backstory to make her quirks at least somewhat plausible, and of course her self-consciousness.

By herself, the "I know I'm a tsundere and don't like it but can't help it" would probably wear thin fairly rapidly, and she's pretty much locked out of the sort of genuine, irreversible character development I like to see, since it would negate much of her moe appeal, but she's still one of the more thoughtfully constructed characters based on her archetype. Since her inner voice is not running continuously, and there's plenty of other characters to interact with or place some focus on, for me it should remain a cute idiosyncrasy and not descend to an overused annoyance.

Her secret service agent, on the other hand, is a character I could follow as the exclusive focus just as he is. It's pretty clever how he manages to always get his way all while acting so obedient. His backstory should be interesting as well, and I was already wondering spoiler[just what he was hiding from the moment he gave a vague and less than credible answer for who that woman was and what they were up to].

The two recent additions turned out spoiler[quite differently from what I expected, as it seemed they were going to be antagonists]. I would have to agree with DuskyPredator about Zange. All together, it's a good, interesting cast whose interactions should be fun to watch. Even so, depending on where it's headed, hopefully it won't hold back for too long only to feel rushed toward the end.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm still trying to figure out what the point of all this is.

I rather like the characters, who are mostly familiar archetypes but with a few variations tossed in. Dog boy (ok, fox) is rather cloying but at the same time some of his attitude is very dog like.

Ririchiyo seems to have a sense of humor about things -- definitely not typical for her type.

On the assumption that something of substance will appear soon, I'll just keep watching.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out what the point of all this is.

On the assumption that something of substance will appear soon, I'll just keep watching.

It seems kind of like a mixture between supernatural and slice of life; slice of life never really seems to accomplish anything of substance (i.e. coming of age rather than something substantial like overthrowing a monarch) and supernatural for obvious reasons.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:30 am Reply with quote
We have yet another character, Kagerou Shoukiin, who henceforth be refered to the Masked Sadist. He kind of looks like a villain, talks like a villain, spoiler[engaged with MC] like a villain, does acts like a villain (the things he did to Banri), but he is just so goofy that it is hard to take seriously.

His take of classifying everything as a spoiler[sadist or masochist], was annoying at first, but got so rediculous it was funny. I guess he was starting to grow onto by the end, despite how a lot of his rude behaviour annoyed me. We had another new ED, bummer that again since it was not subbed we could not get what humour was in the words. But I noticed at one point next to people's names were the letters spoiler[S and M, so they were classifying the staff as sadists and masochists.]

EDIT: Oh and I enjoyed Nobara's personality changes in really likeing Karuta's outfit, but being really cold to Masked Sadist. Gotta say I am a big fan of Karuta's sweet eating and few word saying, Sata andagi FTW.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:10 am Reply with quote
^
Masochist. Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:39 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
^
Masochist. Wink

Wait are calling me a masochist?

Oh I forgot to mention that it was kind of cool that the Masked Sadist is voiced by Sugita Tomokazu, somewhat playing against his type. I was reminded of a role I thought he had in a series in the previews, but I could only find him as a fairly small role.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
^
Masochist. Wink

Clearly a sadist, but wait! An emoticon; probably a masochist!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote
Laughing

Oops, I mean

Evil or Very Mad

<faux-sadist
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:15 pm Reply with quote
<Seems like a masochist, but is really a sadist.

It's a bit annoying to havespoiler[ two "charming" jerk characters introduced back to back. I'm not sure two are necessary.Although it looks like he won't be a regular. ]

Also slightly irritating that she was spoiler[interrupted while trying confer her gratitude in words. Although, if she did that she couldn't write a letter and it seems like one of her letters are quite a treat to behold.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
supercreep

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I thought this episode was pretty funny, but I was annoyed with how they handled the new character:

spoiler["Oh, your fiance!"
"Oh, right, I forgot you had one of those..."]

Anyway, he ended up cracking me up so I can let bygones be bygones.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:34 am Reply with quote
I think I did an error when I did the name for this series, but I don't know how to edit the name of the topic name.

So episode 6 focused more on Karuta Roromiya, I think that I have rather liked her character from the begining, but before we had only had her munching on food in background, or an off hand comment. There has to be something to like about her, well for me it is a bit biased as I tend to favour the cute, silent, slender girl who does not show much emotion. Very Happy A search shows that her voice actor also having done Kanade, Nadeko Sengoku, Kuroneko.

But she is also very honest about saying what she thinks, which has to be worth something with her friends both putting up tough fronts, and a few others on a sliding scale of acting out to be manipulative. And she has her priorities straight with spoiler[food and cute animals/friends]. She may look to be in her own little world, but it is more of a fact that she spoiler[does what she wants, rather than ignoring people as she can see that they are friends when Rurichiyo and Banri deny it. Actually she apparently knows what people are saying, but chooses to ignore it.]

Oh and we probably had the first real threat appear in the series (the first episode guy, wall and Masked Sadist don't count). Got to say that it actualy made me appreciate Banri more, spoiler[he fought even though he really did not stand much of a chance, also the fact he got into the fight earlier.]

The ED kind of reminded me of Bakemonogatari's Renai Circulation, looks rather similar, but took a little time to put two and two together to realise that it is also because of a share of voices. If people were saying that Renai Circulation being so sweet it would give diabetes, then you are in for a shock with this one, in fact it is called sweets parade.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:42 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I think I did an error when I did the name for this series, but I don't know how to edit the name of the topic name.

I personally don't see where you made an error, but just for future reference, if you ever want to edit a thread title, just go into your OP, hit the edit button and then just make whatever change you want in the subject bar.

I'm a big fan of Karuta, too, for pretty much the same reasons you are. I also like the idea she turns into a big, honking skeleton - which is kind of ironic when you consider how much she eats. Anyway, she's the type of person that is perfect for drawing Ririchiyo out of her shell since she won't ever take no for an answer. It cracked me up spoiler[when she told Ririchiyo that she loved her after she was offered a red bean paste sandwich.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6