• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kimagure Orange Road Manga to Be Released in English on Facebook

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heibi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:36 pm Reply with quote
maxxjulie wrote:
you can post it in a forum all you want, but it's not going to happen. if they print it then how many will they actually sell? not even a thousand copies i bet. probably far under a thousand because it's an older somewhat obscure manga only hardcore fans know of. it's not worth the hassle for them, hence the e-book release. a lot of japanese read manga that way. they read manga on their phones while on the train. stop being so married to the old way of doing things.

Sorry, not buying an iPhone or kindle just so I can pay for a manga I want to read. If it is so old why are they even bothering to try and get others to purchase the right to read it? Same thing will happen that would happen with a hard copy then. so your opnion holds no water in both cases since only "hardcore fans" will get it. Not enough to justify either case. And the Japaneses aren't going to buy it via e-book to read English. Rolling Eyes
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:11 am Reply with quote
The Catch-22 here is that it's a nearly three decade-old manga that, generally, will mostly appeal to the older fans who are also, generally, the ones least interested in digital downloads.

I hope this venture is profitable even if it is digital download-only, but they won't be getting any of this older fan's money if they don't also release a bound paper version.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
The Catch-22 here is that it's a nearly three decade-old manga that, generally, will mostly appeal to the older fans who are also, generally, the ones least interested in digital downloads.

I'd love to see it printed, but I'd be surprised if the sales would be sufficient to sustain production of the series through the 18 volumes that the series runs (or perhaps compressed into a 10-volume "omnibus" release based upon the hardcover printing that I have on my shelves). I'd buy it, but I wouldn't expect it to be finished.

If I ever get an iPad or Kindle, I probably would buy the digital version just to have a licensed release (that might encourage a paper version), but I'd prefer a dead-tree telling me the story of Kyousuke, Madoka, and Hikaru...
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Kimagure Orange Road Manga to Be Released in English on Facebook

Try again. There is no way in hell i'd be caught dead on Facebook given the stupid crap that has gone on recently. And thats not counting the fact that I want to keep a very limited profile on the Internet.
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:13 am Reply with quote
think it's hilarious some don't understand it's so much cheaper and easier to release digitally. if this were some hot new manga that millions want to read, then you guys would be making sense. it's an old romance manga that most fans have never heard of and there are probably a few hundred english speaking people in the world that care about. you're not getting a book printed because the demand isn't high enough. so you can get current and enjoy the kor manga digitally or not enjoy it at all and stick with you horse drawn carts and butter churns. if this digital release weren't possible, there would be no english release at all ever.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:19 am Reply with quote
In my case, I'll just stick with the French versions I already have where I don't have to worry about DRM and all that other nonsense and where the only technology-related crashes I have to worry about are the lights going out should I be reading it after sunset.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:22 am Reply with quote
Never expected this series to get officially translated. Although, I was hoping for the novels that take place after the manga to be translated, since I've already read the comics in Japanese and my Japanese skills aren't up to reading the picture-less novels yet.

On a side note, why Facebook? With DRM issues and having to have an expensive device to read it on, most fans would prefer a hard copy. But even if that doesn't work for the publisher, why not release it on some other service that isn't going through Facebook?

Seems to me like the people who purchase copies digitally are a minority group within a minority group (manga fans), and the only way to somewhat improve it would be to consolidate all series onto 1 service and do away with the fragmentation there is now. But what do they do? They make more fragmentation.

Really smart move there... Anime cry

So, just release it in print format. It's easier.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:56 am Reply with quote
More 80's fashion! Very Happy

Tenchi wrote:

Though the ones who could more easily afford such devices. Laughing

jmaeshawn wrote:

So, just release it in print format. It's easier.

The logistics for that is actually harder.
MrXarnus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:32 am Reply with quote
No print, no buy. I know that printing a cult series is expensive, but they can do print on demand like Tokyopop did some time ago, or a omnibus form can work. Why can those DMP shounen-ai and yaoi manga get printed and not this series?
-Ushio-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:33 am Reply with quote
A print-on-demand service would be nice. Just upload it to Lulu.com or somewhere and I'll buy! Smile

Would love to give this series a read.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:46 am Reply with quote
MrXarnus wrote:
No print, no buy. I know that printing a cult series is expensive, but they can do print on demand like Tokyopop did some time ago, or a omnibus form can work. Why can those DMP shounen-ai and yaoi manga get printed and not this series?

Because yaoi fangirls tend to put their money where their mouths are and actually buy the manga they like. Viz's new BL line is even going as far as selling PDF editions of their licensed stuff with no DRM at all. If that's not trusting your fanbase, I don't know what is. Could you ever see that happening with Naruto etc?
MrXarnus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:55 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
MrXarnus wrote:

Because yaoi fangirls tend to put their money where their mouths are and actually buy the manga they like. Viz's new BL line is even going as far as selling PDF editions of their licensed stuff with no DRM at all. If that's not trusting your fanbase, I don't know what is. Could you ever see that happening with Naruto etc?

This can sell to. You can sell any manga with print-on-demand, ask 14-15 $ per piece and there set. Omnibus works great for more obscure series. So, call me when there's a print edition, or else they wont ever get my money, I will buy the french edition instead.
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
maxxjulie wrote:
it's not worth the hassle for them, hence the e-book release. a lot of japanese read manga that way. they read manga on their phones while on the train. stop being so married to the old way of doing things.

I live in Japan and ride the train on a daily basis during those times when people are jammed in, and I have yet to see anyone reading manga on phones or any electronic form. When they are reading manga, it's always in book form because they actually have bookstores in Japan, and manga magazines are readily available at every convenience store around. It's also cheaper to buy a 315 yen book then it is to buy a 45,000 yen iPad and then pay the same 315 yen for the same thing as in the book.

So, you're wrong when you say that books are "the old way of doing things". In Japan, it is THE way of doing things.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
ComicFriends is a combination reading and discussion service on Facebook

http://www.nttsolmare.com/e/press/2012/e0207.html

NTT Solmare's free comic app is called ZQ Books. Just loaded it onto my iPad. I hope KOR will also be available through it.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
"How dare they find an affordable way to release a classic series!" Smile

Seriously guys: the folks saying "I won't give them any of my money!" are the folks they factored out of the equation anyway. The truth is that most people wouldn't toss in on those books in the first place and they're dealing with a niche market. Hence e-publishing instead of taking a bath on printing 18 volumes of (old) manga so they get a better return on their investment. Or any return at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3