• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Arrietty Opens at #9 with US$6.4 Million

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S127

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I going to try to see this before Friday. Sadly with these numbers I doubt my theater or many theater's will hold onto it longer than that.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
^ No, you could see it next weekend or the following week up to Thursday. Most theatres have locked-in two week runs of wider releases before they have the option to decide whether they want to keep it running longer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
They got Ponyo wrong, though. It's #5, not #9. As for Arrietty, doesn't sound like much, but the audience for actual anime, and not just shit kids watch because they get free cards at the theater, is growing.

bravetailor: I wanted to see Pooh, too, but that running time was too damned short to justify an L.A. ticket price. Though I'm sure by Japanese standards, it's a steal.

Pepperidge: Will we even get Poppy Hill? Disney's been averse to releasing Ghibli stuff geared to older audiences for a while now. But I'm hoping Chico and Rita's Oscar nom changed that, and we'll finally see R1 releases of Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves, but who knows?

dragon: They were looking for the proper way to market Arrietty here.
Compared to what the company policy used to be on Ghibli titles-bury them and pretend they don't exist-it's a huge step up.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Saw it today at the El Capitan and loved it. Then went to see the Ghibli art exhibit they had on display and got a lot of pictures of the posters, storyboards and whatnot that they had up. Glad to see it's doing pretty well for an Anime title.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm very glad to see this is doing well, this is by far Disney's work when it comes to translating a Studio Ghibli film, maybe this will be a step up for the anime film Industy, maybe they'll start showing Ghibli movies in more thatres, ( Even though I'm perfectly fine with traveling an hour away to see one because they're that good) but maybe more people will start enjoying them and making Ghibli a hit in the US, they deserve the fame and popularity because the experince of watching a film by Studio Ghibli is priceless. Very Happy
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Just saw Arietty tonight and I loved it, although I thought they put it on too many screens (10) in the area that I live in which, including the big neighboring city, has a population of about 1.3 million.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Well I saw it today and I like it about time an anime movie came to a lot of screens this time
shukero

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Happy about Arrietty, but sad about FMA; I wonder if the theaters never gave FMA a chance after seeing Arrietty...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:55 am Reply with quote
dragonmastr wrote:
I wonder why it is that Ghibli films take so long before they are released here in the US. It's been almost two years since Arrietty opened in Japan, I can't image why it would take that long to license and localize a release. Heck, they've even had a dub release in the UK since last summer.

They probably wanted to give the Brits the first spotlight at the theaters, seeing it's based on a popular British literature.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:04 am Reply with quote
shukero wrote:
Happy about Arrietty, but sad about FMA; I wonder if the theaters never gave FMA a chance after seeing Arrietty...

If Funimation put FMA in 1522 theaters then FMA would have stood a chance at making 6 million too. Forget the theaters gaving up on FMA, Funimation simply doesn't have what it takes to market movies.
shukero

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:52 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
shukero wrote:

If Funimation put FMA in 1522 theaters then FMA would have stood a chance at making 6 million too. Forget the theaters gaving up on FMA, Funimation simply doesn't have what it takes to market movies.

That may be true, because they might just be selling enough of the animated series that they don't feel it's necassary to promote a theatrical release. I bet they think that a lot of people will buy it when they finish the anime on dvd.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:40 am Reply with quote
shukero wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
shukero wrote:

That may be true, because they might just be selling enough of the animated series that they don't feel it's necassary to promote a theatrical release. I bet they think that a lot of people will buy it when they finish the anime on dvd.
One has to consider, how many people know about, or have read "The Borrower's" as oppossed to FMA? Realising that I doubt FMA would have pulled in that amount of money even if it was on every screen in the US.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:46 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
dragonmastr wrote:
I wonder why it is that Ghibli films take so long before they are released here in the US. It's been almost two years since Arrietty opened in Japan, I can't image why it would take that long to license and localize a release. Heck, they've even had a dub release in the UK since last summer.

They probably wanted to give the Brits the first spotlight at the theaters, seeing it's based on a popular British literature.
Apart from a few art houses it never really made it to general cinemas here, and I recently watched it on DVD. No I think it was so UK fans would consider purchasing the UK dub instead of the US dub, but after having sampled the latter, there's no fear of that happening now. Wink
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:52 am Reply with quote
shukero wrote:

or yet cause Arrietty is celebrity voice/disney

while fma movie just anime voices.

notice the difference & yea really anime should also be treated equal as well give them more showing on theater & tv.

besides give anime world it equal rights.
ShindoW

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote
IIRC, wasn't FMA subbed only? I also know a lot of fans (including myself) who didn't really care for Brotherhood weren't too excited about a film starring 2 random characters. I think most people wanted something like the original, but in Brotherhood's storyline.

As for Arietty, I'm hoping to go see it this week. Money is so tight until March so I hope it's still airing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3