• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Have you enjoyed anything produced in or before 1994?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you enjoyed anything produced in or before 1994?
yes
90%
 90%  [ 226 ]
no
4%
 4%  [ 11 ]
I don't know
1%
 1%  [ 4 ]
I love egoist
3%
 3%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 249

Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Ball Z
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
pappyduff101

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:45 am Reply with quote
I am in my 50's and the earliest anime I remember was the little norse prince, which i believe was one of ghiblis first features. I must say that I have probably watched an Anime film or oav without realising it was anime as it was not widely advertised or available at the time, going back more than 25 years here! the first anime film I remember and got me hooked was Akira and then I saw Ghost in the shell and that was it.
So there are a vast number of anime films and series I have not seen and I am in process of tracking them down and can I just say a big thank you to all members of the forum whom have mentioned a whole library of films etc... that I can now look forward to viewing.
Thanks again.
SailorShana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote
SInce people are giving their age and anime background... I am a very silly twenty-six year old who has been into anime KNOWING it was anime since I was around thirteen. A lot of my favorite shows as a kid were those Nick anime series. I love the Fairy Tale show.

Now, for the question:

A lot of my favorite anime series are older than 94. Most, or even all of them, have already been mentioned in this thread. Ranma 1/2, Kimagure Orange Road (haven't finished it), Ghibli films, Lupin, GUNDMAN, Macross, Rose of Versailes, Project AKO, and plenty of others that I don't feel like trying to rlist right now because everyone else has those nice lists of stuff I like already done for me.

I actually prefer older anime to new stuff... especially the really new series, and I LOVE the character designs from the eighties along with the awesome eighties background music.

It is hard for me to give a lot of the really new stuff a chance, but this could have more to do with me being very selective with what I will sit through and less to do with the actual quality of today's anime. I am out of touch with a lot of the new stuff, and I let my bff sit through the bad stuff so that she can tell me about the good stuff (both old and new).
fataleflare

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote
Oh yes defiantly. I can name a few.
Macross, Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, Oh My Goddess.
Deadwing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:30 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm 32 so I grew up with shows like Voltron. Of course, us older fans watched it because it was a cool cartoon, and many if not most of us didn't really recognize it as anime. So, if we only count the time from when we recognized anime as its own thing, then I've been into anime for over 15 years when I discovered the "Saturday Anime" block on the Sci-fi Channel. A lot of the stuff they showed back then was from the 80s and early 90s. Examples include Green Legend Ran, Robot Carnival, Project A-ko, and Vampire Hunter D. Later on, Toonami introduced me to the likes of Dragon Ball Z, Ronin Warriors, and the Tenchi Muyo OVAs. Of course, I've seen plenty of older shows on home video as well. By the turn of the century, I had already rented Akira, Ninja Scroll, Macross Plus, Mobile Suit Gundam 0083, and Fist of the North Star from either Blockbuster or the local anime shop that was popular back then. During the 00s I watched Ranma ½, the original Bubblegum Crisis, 3×3 Eyes, and most of the older Studio Ghibli films.

So, suffice it to say that I have enjoyed my fair share of anime dating from 1994 and earlier, and most of what I've seen was pretty damn enjoyable. There's something very pleasing aesthetically about that older cel animation.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
Lets see, I've seen Kodocha, parts of Sailor Moon, Mama's a 4th grader ( the first 4 episodes since thats all I can find with subtitles.), Totoro and Kiki's Delivery service, oh and also Appleseed too.
Kodocha was 1996, though.

While I don't have any particular nostalgia for pre-mid-90s titles, I have seen and enjoyed a number of them. I wouldn't say these are necessarily favorites or great anime, but I did at least find some enjoyment from them. As far as age and fandom involvement go, I'm 30 and mainly got into anime in 2003. These are what I've found by sorting my AniDB list in descending order by age:

* Taro the Dragon Boy -- possibly the first anime I ever saw, at 8-9 years of age. Though at the time it was "just another cartoon" that happened to be set in old Japan.
* Mobile Suit Gundam Movies 1-2 (haven't gotten around to the 3rd)
* Super Dimensional Fortress Macross / Do You Remember Love / Plus -- never saw Robotech, but this was still worth reaching back to.
* Sherlock Hound -- another childhood favorite that I saw some of back in the day, and later tracked down the rest.
* Area 88 OVA -- mainly checked it out because of the connection to the SNES game "UN Squadron," didn't regret doing so.
* Project A-Ko -- some of it, anyway.
* Windaria -- was a random video store rental (remember those?), I really should watch the original.
* Castle in the Sky -- Miyazaki's stuff is timeless enough, right?
* They Were Eleven -- An okay movie, worth the couple of bucks I paid for it.
* Bubblegum Crisis and associated spinoffs -- can't say I was totally crazy about them, but their "eightiesness" didn't bother me.
* Kimagure Orange Road -- though I think I would've liked it less without AnimEigo's creative translations.
* Akira -- saw it ages ago before I was "into anime" because it was that notorious of a movie.
* Gunbuster -- noted elsewhere in the thread as a classic.
* Demon City Shinjuku -- was "enjoyable" as MST3K fodder at a convention.
* Gundam 0080 -- a worthy serious entry in the franchise.
* Kiki's Delivery Service
* Record of Lodoss War OVA -- I never played D&D, but my friends did, and that was enough to pique an interest in fantasy.
* Devil Hunter Yohko -- had to check it out for ADV historical purposes.
* Otaku no Video -- figured I was "hardcore" enough that this would be relevant and amusing.
* Sailor Moon -- was my true gateway series, the first anime that I saw and knew to be "anime" back in the late 90s.
* Video Girl Ai
* Tenchi Muyo -- with as many modern harem anime as I'd seen, I had to go back to the classics one day. And I can say I liked all of the franchise (except the last OVA) to some extent, even Tenchi in Tokyo.
* Hime-chan's Ribbon -- A good example of the non-combat-oriented, "old-school" brand of Magical Girl anime.
* All-Purpose Cultural Catgirl Nuku Nuku -- though I think I liked the crazier comedy of the 1998 TV series better.
* Irresponsible Captain Tylor -- I blame anime club for getting me into this one.
* Oh! My Goddess (OVA) -- another harem classic.
* Dragon Half -- Lots of laughs in a short package.
* Battle Angel -- I can occasionally go for the GrimDark gory stuff, as well.
* Marmalade Boy -- Because shamelessly addictive soap opera melodrama doesn't have to come from modern eroge adaptations.
* Plastic Little -- Jiggle Counter, anyone?
* G Gundam -- It's hilarious and awesome as long as you don't expect it to be a serious/standard Gundam series.
* DNA2 -- not great, but good as trashy fun.
* Magic Knight Rayearth -- An emblematic "90s" series, and I daresay one of the better CLAMP adaptations.

And I've seen and worked on fansubs of various other pre-94 anime, so I wouldn't say I've cherrypicked the best of the crop. But my main "nostalgia stronghold" will probably always be the very late 90s to the mid 00s -- the earliest shows I bought, and the shows I first saw downloaded versions of on CD-Rs passed to me by friends.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I wouldn't say these are necessarily favorites or great anime, but I did at least find some enjoyment from them

Favorite and great anime prior to 94 and Tenchi doesn't count as either? Somewhere, a cabbit is crying...

"Some enjoyment" like you're forcing yourself. Man, what a...

After a post like this, I'll just yes, I've enjoyed shows produced before 1994. Sadly enough, I've also watched anime prior to 1994. It was Japanimation back then though, I didn't know it was anime...
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
been watching anime since the 70's including :Space Battleship Yamato and original Gundam and many others that circulated at the time. Yes I have been enjoying anime since before 94
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
When I was 4 years old I thought Voltron was mind blowing, so I guess that counts even though I watched it 20 years later and realized that the opinions on quality from a 4 year old are complete and utter horse shit.

More recently I've seen an enjoyed:
Galaxy Express 999
Dragon Ball Z
Captain Harlock movie (I forget the name, but it's like an origin story)
Samurai Pizza Cats
Gundam 0080
Ronin Warriors (I saw this as a child though, so maybe it's actually crap)
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
When I was 4 years old I thought Voltron was mind blowing, so I guess that counts even though I watched it 20 years later and realized that the opinions on quality from a 4 year old are complete and utter horse shit.

I was around 13 when I saw Voltron and Robotech. Both impressed me with their graphics, but what blew me away about Robotech was the plot and character development. I could never look at G.I. Joe the same way again.
tocahan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Yes. I started watching anime around 1990. Some of my all time favorites are pre-1994- like Akira & Bubblegum Crisis. I recently re-watched Black Magic M66 and the original Appleseed. They are among the first anime that I ever watched and it had been 15 years at least since I had last seen them. I still enjoyed them, but it's always a bit jarring to go back and watch old school hand drawn anime after watching more recent shows.
Thanks for the welcome, nbahn!
Beaux10

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm 16 and I've been an anime fan for almost a year now and I've already seen Patlabor (and own the sequel), Galaxy Express 999, Gundam 0079, Castle in the Sky, and Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro. I'm also still watching Giant Robo, Robotech, the rest of the Gundam series, Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water, the rest of Miyazaki's films, and probably more that I'm forgetting.

I thought that, being a new fan, I had to see the classics first. (My best friend has said that he will never watch a show that came out before 1995 but recently asked about whether Megazone 23 was any good after he saw a trailer on one of the DVD's I lent him, though I haven't seen Megazone 23)

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Captain Harlock movie (I forget the name, but it's like an origin story)

Was it Arcadia of My Youth? I haven't seen it yet, but I'm planning on buying a DVD of it while they still exist.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
A good number of titles I've enjoyed from before the mid-90s.

* MS Gundam franchise (original series, film trilogy, Zeta, Char's Counterattack, 0080)
* Macross
* Kiki's Delivery Service
* Grave of the Fireflies
* Porco Rosso
* Castle in the Sky
* Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
* Patlabor TV
* Video Girl Ai
* Tenchi Muyo OAVs
* Nadia: Secret of Blue Water
* Irresponsible Captain Tylor
* Kimagure Orange Road (TV show and I Want to Return to That Day film)
* Rose of Versailles
* Here is Greenwood
* Legend of the Galactic Heroes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I've watched a lot from back then. I started watching anime actively and knowingly in 1996 or 1997, so much of what was available had been produced before then. I often seek older things out. There is an arbitrary mystique to the era and I love the texture and occasional roughness of hand-drawn animation.

I count two things made before 1994, Galaxy Express 999 (1979) and Patlabor 2 (1993) as some of the finest things I've ever seen and a few others, namely GoShogun: The Time Étranger (1985) Project A-Ko (1986) among my personal favorites.

Besides that, I've always enjoyed the following a lot:
A.D. Police Files (1990)
Assemble Insert (1989)
Dominion Tank Police (1988)
Megazone 23 part II (1986)
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (1988)
Neo-Tokyo (1987)
Patlabor: The Movie (1989)
Royal Space Force - The Wings of Honnêamise (1987)
Silent Möbius (1991)
Sukeban Deka (1991)
Video Girl Ai (1992)
The Weathering Continent (1992)

And that doesn't bother to include some titles that I enjoyed, but not exceptionally so or the Miyazaki films from that era, which I liked plenty.

And there's much more from the way-back-when that I intend to see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tocahan

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist-
Have you seen Black Magic M66? Ben at AniPages has a nice post about re-watching it recently.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7