• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kimagure Orange Road Manga to Be Released in English on Facebook

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
maxxjulie wrote:
think it's hilarious some don't understand it's so much cheaper and easier to release digitally.

What I think you don't understand is how it's being released. One of the biggest arguments against digital downloads is how ridiculously proprietary these things can be. You can only read them thru one service/app/format. People have been sicked by DRM so much, anytime something prominently is released with DRM, people balk at it.

If the release was a DRM-free release, people would be clamoring hand and foot over it and praising it. But by limiting it to Facebook, it's severely limiting it's potential audience.
MrXarnus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Even if it would be a DRM-free release, I still wouldn't buy. A book is something in yours hands, on your shelf. (for me) People who say 'well, atleast it is being released in english' need to know that there are people out there who don't want a digital file, but a nice printed book. Why does not a single publisher use Print-on-demand? Offer a digital AND a print version. That way, everybody is happy. Then these long discussions wouldn't exist.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Though the ones who could more easily afford such devices. :lol:

Oh yeah, if I cut back on my monthly Hot Wheels purchases, I could easily afford an e-reader if I wanted one.

But I don't. I like books.

TokyoGetter wrote:

Seriously guys: the folks saying "I won't give them any of my money!" are the folks they factored out of the equation anyway.

Just to be clear, there is a huge difference between those of us who buy lots and lots of manga on paper and who would buy Kimagure Orange Road in a heartbeat if it were in a physical format, even just print-on-demand, with those people who just download scanlations of everything. I'm not interested in digital manga, but I'm not interested in scanlations either. I want to give these people my money, but I only will if I can get a paper version; I'm certainly not going to look for illegal uploads of their translation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Emi_

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
shukero

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
And once again it's a service which is not offered in the country I live...

Can you maybe use a proxy to get to facebook? I know of very many people who live in places where facebook is forbidden. There are a variety of proxies that have very different ways of getting yuo around those blocked ports Smile

Anyways, this is interesting that they are putting somrthing out on facebook. First time I've ever heard of something like this, but then again, I just started reading ANN just recently. EIther way I'll never return that facebook; as it's a very insecure environment to do anything on, let along play apps on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:12 am Reply with quote
maxxjulie wrote:
you can post it in a forum all you want, but it's not going to happen. if they print it then how many will they actually sell? not even a thousand copies i bet. probably far under a thousand because it's an older somewhat obscure manga only hardcore fans know of. it's not worth the hassle for them, hence the e-book release. a lot of japanese read manga that way. they read manga on their phones while on the train. stop being so married to the old way of doing things.
Quote:
think it's hilarious some don't understand it's so much cheaper and easier to release digitally. if this were some hot new manga that millions want to read, then you guys would be making sense. it's an old romance manga that most fans have never heard of and there are probably a few hundred english speaking people in the world that care about. you're not getting a book printed because the demand isn't high enough. so you can get current and enjoy the kor manga digitally or not enjoy it at all and stick with you horse drawn carts and butter churns. if this digital release weren't possible, there would be no english release at all ever
Bollox. The same was said for Sailor Moon and look how that went. Show us the stats to back it up. From the reports I've recently seen on the BBC and NHK the Japanese aren't that keen on e-books on any platform just yet as it is still too new and expensive, or not released there yet.. This is just a way to tease fans to open their wallets for a Kindle, or what ever app for a smartphone. It's a toe-in-the-water thing which I'll be surprised if it shows any gains from. My money is also waiting for a hard copy.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:

This, a thousand times this. Not that I'm interested in e-books, but lets keep the hatred to the quasi-tree-friendly nature.
shukero

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
_Emi_ wrote:

This, a thousand times this. Not that I'm interested in e-books, but lets keep the hatred to the quasi-tree-friendly nature.

I still see no need for a kindle app xD If you are going to go that far, why not just rent it from the source? Get the Viz app on your phone? Although I'm extremely sad to say that there isnt one out yet for android Sad

They really need to make one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
April's almost over. I guess what they meant is April of next year. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3