• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Katsucon 2012

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
"I have one question for the Katsucon cosplayers this year: why Homestuck? Seriously, I think 1 out of every 5 cosplayers at this convention were from Homestuck."

There were a ton at Ohayocon also. They looked like pretty easy costumes to make, get a black wig, make some horns, paint yourself gray, and *BAM*, Homestuck costume.
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
My sister won :p
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Well that's be it. Simple designs. A lot of western stuff is like that. Homer Simpsons would just be jeans and a T-shirt. Basically cosplay you can do just by opening up your closet and requires no real effort.

Though the thing with Homestruck/My Little Pony is it's more about the 'trolling' aspect and internet meme stuff. Not the actual series themselves. Put cute little preschool show ponies in scenarios where they're doing things like swearing and killing each other with mountains of blood and gore. Basically stuff 13 year olds like to do.
shukero

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
another reason why I wished I lived on the east or west coast and not in michigan Sad

Why can't we have some bad ass convention in detroit?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Well that's be it. Simple designs. A lot of western stuff is like that. Homer Simpsons would just be jeans and a T-shirt. Basically cosplay you can do just by opening up your closet and requires no real effort.

Nothing wrong with simplicity. At all.

And it's not a "proper" Homer cosplay unless you have a fake beer gut (if you don't have one already) shave your head,and apply some yellow greese-paint (leave some off around the mouth to simulate the five-a-clock shadow). A fake can of Duff Beer can also help.

Otherwise no one's gonna no if you're even in a costume.
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the article, since when is official attendance of 12,614 considered a small con?

Source: @katsucon tweet: https://twitter.com/#!/katsucon/status/171476454809407488
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
Regarding the article, since when is official attendance of 12,614 considered a small con?

Yeah, even ignoring the official number, I was thrown when the article noted Katsucon as a "small" con, considering its been going for 18 years and definitely has lots of people attending. What was the author comparing it to?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:18 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
lheiskell wrote:

Yeah, even ignoring the official number, I was thrown when the article noted Katsucon as a "small" con, considering its been going for 18 years and definitely has lots of people attending. What was the author comparing it to?

Well there's other cons in the 40,000 range so probably those.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Not to be pedantic, but in anime con circles there is other CON (singular) in the 40k range. (AnimeExpo (largest) had around 45k, Otakon (second largest) had around 30k) The bottom of the top ten last year (2011) were right around 10k (according to AnimeCons.com). Considering that there are well over 50 (probably closer to 100) anime cons in the US, I think it's disingenuous (if not flat out misleading, even if unintentionally) to call a convention with an attendance greater than 80-90% of the other anime conventions in the country "small".

Just for comparison, according to Katsucon, they had around 12k people this year, AnimeSPARK was the same weekend in Iowa, they claim they had 400 people in attendance.

So:
AnimeExpo = Average?
Katsucon = Small
AnimeSPARK = Tiny?
Yoda117

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

As another person has mentioned, there is only one anime-specific con in the US (all of North America, IIRC) that gets those numbers.

I remember just a few years back, people were freaking out because Otakon broke the 10K mark (it wasn't all that long ago). I'm having a problem with the reporter's perception on this one.
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote
shukero wrote:
another reason why I wished I lived on the east or west coast and not in michigan Sad

Why can't we have some bad ass convention in detroit?

Because it's Detroit. You guys have Youmacon anyway.
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:

Sure didn't feel like 12000 people were at the con this year. I thought maybe it was close to 9-10k instead.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:

Sure didn't feel like 12000 people were at the con this year. I thought maybe it was close to 9-10k instead.

The Gaylord is deceptive in that. You have have a lot more people than it appears at first sight due to how they designed the lower levels. It's quite impressive actually.

There wasn't a doubt of the growth to me once I got into the Dealer's Room, and more importantly, saw the main concorse from the elevator while going to a hotel room.

That hotel has some very interesting architectural quirks that on the face of them seem innocuous, but help to improve usability and security when put into context with the rest of the building.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1