• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Channel Asks Fans to Petition to Stay on FiOS

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Defguru7777

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote
As much as I'd like to see this succeed, I believe it won't. It didn't work when G4 got dropped by DirecTV, and they REALLY pushed their fans to take action. Granted, I'm ignorant of any other cases similar to this, so perhaps I'm unaware of a case similar to this that did work.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Do online petitions ever work?
domino

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Almost every anime fan I know watches subtitled anime exclusively, so no surprise here that a dub-only anime channel has no viewers. Not sure who their target audience is here. Sorry, Funimation.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:
Almost every anime fan I know watches subtitled anime exclusively, so no surprise here that a dub-only anime channel has no viewers. Not sure who their target audience is here. Sorry, Funimation.

>State that the people you know embody the entire anime fandom
>Expect people to take you seriously

laughingmadokagirls.jpg
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote
come on funimation forget about fios, its Canada that needs you, we have no anime on tv here so we'd love to have your channel just make it happen.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Do online petitions ever work?

For a matter like this? No.
Instead of asking for people who may or may not even have FiOS to sign an online petition Funimation should make use of the "You should be watching" motto and have customers of FiOS turn on the Funi channel to improve the ratings until the deadline.
Melicans

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
come on funimation forget about fios, its Canada that needs you, we have no anime on tv here so we'd love to have your channel just make it happen.

That's not entirely true. Anime on Demand is an option on digital cable/satellite.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:11 am Reply with quote
I always got his message that said I had to "subscribe" to get it o.o...no idea what that was...If it meant I needed a higher FiOS TV package then, if they lower the Funimation channel to a lower package then maybe I would watch it everyday... but idk.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:

That's not entirely true. Anime on Demand is an option on digital cable/satellite.

not really the same thing. besides not everyone has on demand. those of us with satelite for example.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote
domino wrote:
As I've mentioned elsewhere, it's entirely possible to show both at once - just stick the Japanese dub on the SAP channel.
lLuffyl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
I don't ever watch the channel simply because it's horrible. I don't care if it gets dropped or not. But if they keep it, they better change the way they do things. They need to run more of their popular shows and have specific days for new episodes weekly or something.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:30 am Reply with quote
There are enough legal options to juggle around for a cheap or free anime fix for Funimation titles from Youtube to Hulu to Netflix to Funimation's streaming site. Losing one source won't be the end of the world for those still fussing over this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redlinks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
I don't watch the FUNimation channel anyway. Mostly because everything that's airing right now is right in the middle of the series. I just got FiOS not too long ago so I'm completely lost for most of the series they're airing. Maybe if they aired more new series more often, I'd watch their channel more. But not likely that they'll do that at this point.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
Melicans wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:

not really the same thing. besides not everyone has on demand. those of us with satelite for example.

That's sort of lame. DirecTV and Dish Network both have Anime Network on Demand in here in the US.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
Quite honestly, I find it surprising that the Funimation was actually a part of any cable network's packages. I tend to joke about the channel being available in all of 2 cities because it isn't really that widely available anywhere. But now they're begging their fans to complain to FIOS so they can stay on with them? Tell me that doesn't leave a bit of a sour taste in your mouth? But is it really that surprising that a subscription network that would only be sought after by a select few members of a niche fandom is getting the boot? Let's not pretend, this is no shock. The fact that Funi still has their own channel just seems like a complete waste of money and misuse of funds. Better to let the network idea die and funnel that money back into more license acquisitions and better streaming options, and realize their fans are thinking "no, we should be watching something else."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4