• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bakuman. GN 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
So the Takagi marrying Kaya plot continues on into volume 9. Takagi is supposedly brilliant, but his reasoning behind marrying Kaya is "to draw a clear line so I won't be tempted to cheat with any other girls." At least, that's what he tells Mashiro in vol 8, IIRC. Pretty darned stupid, kid. Anyone ever tell you that even married people cheat on their spouses? I hope her parents make them reconsider marrying before they can legally buy beer (their 19, right?).

Bakuman is one of my favorite manga titles coming out right now. I'm glad they added Aoki into the mix so that not all the female characters look like they're written with a sexist viewpoint. Also, I hope they get to that hikkikomori artist soon, he seems like an interesting character (all the mangaka have been interesting so far).
Toby90

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:46 am Reply with quote
The "manga workplace chatter" has actually been one of the things I've loved about the series. The drama is enough to get my blood pumping as much as any good action/adventure, but I think the everyday work chatter adds a human element that remains consitent. After all I don't always have drama in my life, but I do always talk to my co-workers about work; and the point of this series is to let us see the everyday (if a little extreme) life of mangaka
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Well,I read volume nine of "Bakuman" and there was something interesting. One of staff members at "Jump" mentioned Dick Dastardly. I remember him because I saw reruns of "Wacky Races" growing up. That was very interesting and I liked it. I hope they mention more American pop culture in this manga. I'd really like it.
shukero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I stopped reading around volume 5, because it basically stopped really talking about the manga industry... So I might read some of these after my friend gets em Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
shukero wrote:
I stopped reading around volume 5, because it basically stopped really talking about the manga industry... So I might read some of these after my friend gets em Razz

It's not really that it stopped talking about the manga industry. It's more like the beginning of the series had a lot to explain, so once you got the gist of what it takes to get that far, the advice slowed down to a situation where the characters were much more mature and experiencing the ride instead of having the ride happen to them.
Of course, we also got the relatively obnoxious side-love-stories. Regardless, the lessons to learn about the industry still come and they really play an interesting role in how the characters mature IN the industry, rather than leading up to it.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I actually just ordered the first two volumes from rightstuf. I'm interested to get into the series; it has been forever since I've read a manga series. I've only been watching anime for quite a while; I think the last series I read was Black Cat about a year ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1