• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner Develops Live-Action Film of Tite Kubo's Bleach Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Mixed feelings really.
After the DBZ live-action, and Akira being dead atm, we don't have a quality super-power anime adaption to say we can have faith this will turn out well.
This will also be fairly hard to adapt for mainstream western audience.
Ok, you can change the setting, but what about many of the Japanese-style character names, the distinctive Japanese-style Soul Reaper attire, attack names, transformations, etc...
If you take too much away, it's will lose what made it "Bleach".

Saying that, they could easily get away with a fairy average budget and just cover the whole school life, getting Soul Reaper powers, befriending Rukia, fighting Hollows, and then end the film as Rukia gets taken back to Soul Society.
If the film does well, then the bigger budget gets used to cover the Soul Society rescue story for a sequel.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking about why don't studios try going the way the American remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo went? I mean the movie is in English, but everything else they kept the same, the setting is still Sweden, instead of the US and the characters still have the same names that they had in the book, no Americanization of the names, so if a studio wants to adapt anime/manga, why can't they do it like that?
Shoot the movie in Japan, (or build a set that looks like how the settings are supposed to look), don't change the setting from Tokyo to New York, have the actors speak English like they do in a dubbed anime, and just have respect for the source material and the fans.
Don't treat the fans like they're idiots.

I mean even if we have to use some suspense of disbelieve if they didn't have an all-Asian cast, leave everything else the same and just go with the flow, instead of trying to make everything seem "Made in America" for now discernible reason.
daichi383

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Why don't they ever hire people with actual talent to work on these?
msgundam2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they are going to remove all the Japanese part and replace it with a American cowboy theme or a medieval European theme?
perroloco

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
If they had to adapt an anime.. Why would they choose BLEACH over Naruto?? I mean Naruto sells better than BLEACH..
Also I think Naruto would have been way easier to divide into arcs:
-Zabuza Arc.
-Exam-Gaara Arc.
-Tsunade-Rescue Sasuke Arc.

(I might have forgotten something since it has been ages since I watched/read Naruto)

Now IF they wanted to adapt a manga into a movie then why would they not go with the best selling manga ever ONE PIECE or Full Metal Alchemist which has IMO a very cinema-like story, you know FMA is like full of mysteries instead of just fight after fight..

Anyway hopefully in the future ONE PIECE gets adapted into a live action and gets the popularity it deserves in the world.
lLuffyl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
As if Bleach wasn't bad enough... I just laughed my ass off so hard when I read the title. These movies never go well. It's going to make Bleach look even worse... even though I don't think it's possible to get any worse than it already is.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
sigh here we go again
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
If they had to adapt an anime.. Why would they choose BLEACH over Naruto?? I mean Naruto sells better than BLEACH..
-Zabuza Arc.
-Exam-Gaara Arc.

(I might have forgotten something since it has been ages since I watched/read Naruto)

Now IF they wanted to adapt a manga into a movie then why would they not go with the best selling manga ever ONE PIECE or Full Metal Alchemist which has IMO a very cinema-like story, you know FMA is like full of mysteries instead of just fight after fight..

Anyway hopefully in the future ONE PIECE gets adapted into a live action and gets the popularity it deserves in the world.

Dude I first I thought you hated one piece, but then I saw you included FMA and thought "wait he couldn't possibly hate THAT...who DOES?"

anyway

I just wonder if these people know that everyone is expecting them to fail, HARD. I was just thinking about finding these guys on Facebook or something and just putting up a post telling them how bad of a situation they put themselves in, but then again, I don't even USE facebook Anime hyper

Well bleach is pretty bad in story right now, but I honestly think the movie will make it worse. the idea crossed in my mind about them shooting it in japan and having a meeting with kubo about it, but then It made me think "Kubo and the rest of Japan will probably just hate us again..."

so yeah, I think this productions already screwed, when will they learn that this IS NOT the right way to get anime more popular in the US?
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
-Zabuza Arc.
-Exam-Gaara Arc.

Dude I first I thought you hated one piece, but then I saw you included FMA and thought "wait he couldn't possibly hate THAT...who DOES?"

anyway

I just wonder if these people know that everyone is expecting them to fail, HARD. I was just thinking about finding these guys on Facebook or something and just putting up a post telling them how bad of a situation they put themselves in, but then again, I don't even USE facebook Anime hyper

Well bleach is pretty bad in story right now, but I honestly think the movie will make it worse. the idea crossed in my mind about them shooting it in japan and having a meeting with kubo about it, but then It made me think "Kubo and the rest of Japan will probably just hate us again..."

so yeah, I think this productions already screwed, when will they learn that this IS NOT the right way to get anime more popular in the US?
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Jaymie wrote:
They need exclusively Japanese actors. You can't even dispute that one. Bleach is Japanese through and through, unlike say Death Note or Fullmetal Alchemist.

Have you even seen Bleach? It's a bunch of white people with japanese names living in Japan. Maybe 5 characters in a show with hundreds look even remotely asian.

That is so insensitive of you!!!
Chad is Mexican!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to TitanXL's brilliant re interpretation of Bleach brought to the Big Screen! Will Barry get Ophelia at the end, or will his rival, Eugene, sweep in and get the girl? And also, Chad! Razz
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting to see a weird pattern.

Japan usually makes live-action adaptions of Shojo or Josei manga/anime (with a few exceptions, of course) while Hollywood tries to adapt Shonen or Seinen anime/manga. Of course, I tend to like the Shojo/Josei live action films more.

Does America really think that just because a film has action in it that it will be a smash hit? Why don't they try a romantic comedy or drama and see what happens?
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Great, maybe next year we will confirm One Piece Live action *crying*
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Joe Carpenter wrote:
yeah, we'll see about this, I'll be surprised if this happens...

hopefully they wont try to Americanize it like the aborted Akira adaption, ya know setting it in America, making it to where Ichigo is a "Grim Reaper" or whatever

if this actually gets made though and is faithful this is gonna be one freakin' bizarre movie, wonder who'll play Orihime? (Christina Hendricks maybe lol)

Except Shinigami ARE Grim Reapers. In fact, I read somethig stating that the Japanese got the idea for Shinigami specifically FROM the western idea of the Grim Reaper.
Kannami

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Good timing...Mangafox just took down Bleach, Naruto, and all the Viz manga again! I'm happy!
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
This is the part where I complain that yet another manga is going to be ruined by a potentially inferior adaption. But I think Tite Kubo's done a fine job ruining Bleach so there's not really much else to say except, whatever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10