• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner Develops Live-Action Film of Tite Kubo's Bleach Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Kannami wrote:
Good timing...Mangafox just took down Bleach, Naruto, and all the Viz manga again! I'm happy!

how does this at all effect the film?
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
You know what I realized: there could be a tiny sliver of hope.

Use the basic plot (human become Soul Reaper) but do an elsewhere story. A completely different cast of characters, a completely different story and cameos and mentions of characters from the anime/manga.

The Soul Society is massive and there are always other sort of stories they could tell that can be centered in America.

I really that happens and not something like Dragon Ball Evolution.
stararnold

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Jaymie wrote:
They need exclusively Japanese actors. You can't even dispute that one. Bleach is Japanese through and through, unlike say Death Note or Fullmetal Alchemist.

Have you even seen Bleach? It's a bunch of white people with japanese names living in Japan. Maybe 5 characters in a show with hundreds look even remotely asian.
You took the words right out of my mouth and I agree with you, Mr. sickVisionz. Lots of anime seem set in Japan or at least centering around a Japanese individual to always show white people with Japanese names. To list examples, there's Space Battleship Yamato (the original Japanese version of it at least), Mobile Police Patlabor, Digimon Adventure, Cardcaptor Sakura, Mazinger Z, Inu Yasha, Lucky Star, and the list goes on.

Doing a live-action Bleach movie can't be that hard if the filmmakers can find the right people to look and act the character parts (but some names may need to be replaced like how The Magnficent Seven was made when it reimagined The Seven Samurai), and it's just a matter of finding middle ground between keeping the defining story concepts and featuring the tale in a flavour to suit western audience tastes.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
....Wow O.o

that's really all I can say.....just hope that they never EVER try to do a live action Fullmetal Alchemist,

I don't really care much for Bleach, I mean hell I respect it and I watch the anime on occasion, but if someone ever dares decide to make a live action Fullmetal Alchemist (and yes I know Vic Mignogna did a live action FMA and I really enjoyed it cus he knew what he was doing) then that studio will be forever dead to me.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Nescio wrote:
VanGosroth wrote:
My only hope is they don't stray from the source material.
How would you make the movie without straying from the original?

I cannot imagine what the people in Warner Bros were thinking.

Anime is getting popular again > Teens like anime > this "Bleach" thing seems to be popular > let's make money off of these kids who like "Bleach"! Sorry to sound cynical, but that was probably the whole thought process involved.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote
huh....you know, wouldn't One Piece be a FAR better suited manga to adapt? Everyone's white. We're going through a pirate fad thanks to Johnny Depth. Everyone's white. And we already have Tim Curry as a perfect match for Ivankov. Everyone's white. There's lots of epic fights. Everyone's white. There are lots of girls with big boobs. Everyone's white. You don't have to make too many elaborate sets. Everyone's white. Luffy's powers will be entertaining to the kids. And everyone is easy to cast to make the film more "America-friendly".

ADAPT ONE PIECE! Not Bleach you idiots!

Good lucky finding a white guy you can call "Kurosaki Ichigo" with a straight face. Laughing
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Good lucky finding a white guy you can call "Kurosaki Ichigo" with a straight face.

Given how Ichigo looks more white than my father...
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
huh....you know, wouldn't One Piece be a FAR better suited manga to adapt? Everyone's white. We're going through a pirate fad thanks to Johnny Depth. Everyone's white. And we already have Tim Curry as a perfect match for Ivankov. Everyone's white. There's lots of epic fights. Everyone's white. There are lots of girls with big boobs. Everyone's white. You don't have to make too many elaborate sets. Everyone's white. Luffy's powers will be entertaining to the kids. And everyone is easy to cast to make the film more "America-friendly".

Good lucky finding a white guy you can call "Kurosaki Ichigo" with a straight face. Laughing

I just laughed my ass off at your reasonings for why they should do one piece, but I honestly doubt they'd even get it RIGHT to help get it to the popularity it truly deserves here. I mean while I like one piece's slapstick I find it very VERY hard to see it with a straight face in live action, especially luffy... God I'm getting inspector gadget flashbacks!

Back to bleach however... well whats more IS there to say? there is NO ONE in the country who has orange ha- oh crap... I just thought of something...spoiler[They may get Gingers for this movie Anime hyper *sorry if I offended anyone BTW, but I HAD to bring this up...*]
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Why are there still some people who are convinced that anime characters who don't look like the stereotypical view of Asians must be white? That's rather dumb and even the names alone don't convince you that those certain characters are meant to be Asian or not? What the hell is wrong with you, people? Did that casting of Kyo Kusanagi from that godawful King of Fighters movie convince that that's how casting of future live action anime adaptations should do it? I think not! Mad

Onto the live action Bleach movie, the series has a great universe and loads of interesting ideas and characters but with the way that Kubo is taking the series at this point, I just don't think it could be any worse than what's happening right now.

So now the big question is what needs to be changed when making the transition to live action? Which characters deserve to stay and which characters deserve to be cut because the best and the worst thing about Kubo that he is creating far too many characters to keep track of and some of them are useless to the overall story and question what is that character's point in the series? Since Hollywood always needs some more black characters in everything, something tells me that they would give more screen time to Tosen, Yoruichi, Hallibel and Jackie because of it.

As for those thinking changing the Japanese settings that permeate the series and give it a western setting is an easy one, I don't know but it just screams bad idea to me and if it happens, you need to rewrite and explain everything of how it works again from the ground up and try to have it make sense and if it is going to end up like that failure of an Akira movie that thankfully won't be made, then it's already in trouble from the start.

As for the casting, since Masi Oka will be playing a role in the production, hopefully he'll try to advocate to get some talented Asian American actors to play most of the main important roles and try to advocate for it because I sure as hell don't want a repeat of Dragonball: Evolution or The Last Airbender.
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote
*Checks the calendar* Nope, too early for an April Fool's joke. *shudders*
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
mangaka-chan wrote:
*Checks the calendar* Nope, too early for December 21's Apocalypse. *shudders*

Fixed.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
If they had to adapt an anime.. Why would they choose BLEACH over Naruto?? I mean Naruto sells better than BLEACH..
Also I think Naruto would have been way easier to divide into arcs:
-Zabuza Arc.
-Exam-Gaara Arc.
-Tsunade-Rescue Sasuke Arc.

(I might have forgotten something since it has been ages since I watched/read Naruto)

Now IF they wanted to adapt a manga into a movie then why would they not go with the best selling manga ever ONE PIECE or Full Metal Alchemist which has IMO a very cinema-like story, you know FMA is like full of mysteries instead of just fight after fight..

Anyway hopefully in the future ONE PIECE gets adapted into a live action and gets the popularity it deserves in the world.

No.
Just........no.

Did you even think before you wrote that out?
The fact that you actually think all the manga you just named should be adapted into live action movies is just baffling to me.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:

VERY hard to see it with a straight face in live action, especially luffy... God I'm getting inspector gadget flashbacks!

I'm thinking it'd be something along the lines of The Mask...only with pirates, and a lot less green.

And let's be honest here, who honestly keeps a straight face with ANY action in One Piece to begin with? The mangaka even pointed out he gave this kind of power to Luffy specifically because no matter how dark and serious the series will get, Luffy's presence will always lighten the mood.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:

Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Well it's not too surprising to see hollywood throwing some money behind this, but this still doesn't mean it's ever going to be made. Plenty of projects go nowhere.
If this does make it I think I'll just do what I did with the DBZ movie, ignore it and then laugh at it when it comes on cable.
Who knows, maybe if we set our expectations low enough, it will actually turn out to be quite well done.

I didn't know about Death Note before though. I suppose that could be a pretty easy adaptation to make, and even be well done. Might be hard to get the same level of drama or suspense going back and forth between L and Light though in less than 2 hours when compared to the manga and anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10