• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner Develops Live-Action Film of Tite Kubo's Bleach Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkPhoenixMishima

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Nescio wrote:
VanGosroth wrote:
My only hope is they don't stray from the source material.
How would you make the movie without straying from the original?

I cannot imagine what the people in Warner Bros were thinking.

"Hey what can we make money off?"
"I hear this Bleach thing is popular."
"Perfect, let's get started."
Konopan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Do people honestly believe Bleach is too "asian" for Warner to simply relocate it? "A delinquent gets ghost/death/Mexico powers and fights masked demons with a sword" sure as hell ain't something deeply rooted in cultural shenanigans.

Hollywood effing loves katanahs, too.
XXghostface

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
Well bleach is already ruined there just gonna make it even more crappier than before.
Kohii

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
I wonder what title will they use for this movie.

If they indeed go with Bleach, the people who watch, and are not familiar with the manga/anime, are gonna go "so wtf did the title have to do with the movie, anyway?"
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:03 am Reply with quote
Before anyone starts rioting in the streets, take a look at the Hollywood "heavyweights" listed in the article as the "muscle" behind the film. Yeah, this project ain't even leaving the hangar.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:27 am Reply with quote
Konopan wrote:
Do people honestly believe Bleach is too "asian" for Warner to simply relocate it? "A delinquent gets ghost/death/Mexico powers and fights masked demons with a sword" sure as hell ain't something deeply rooted in cultural shenanigans.

Shinigami sounds pretty japanese...
cosain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:54 am Reply with quote
After 3 years in the rumor zone... IT IS NOW OFFICIAL.

Sometimes I wonder why they even bother, when they know an adaptation of a very popular anime would cause... uproars of "noooooo's!"

Now... in waiting for America's remake of Death Note (still in rumor zone though)
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:56 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
Konopan wrote:

Shinigami sounds pretty japanese...
That word isn't used in any English translation as is, so what difference does that make?
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:06 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Jaymie wrote:
They need exclusively Japanese actors. You can't even dispute that one. Bleach is Japanese through and through, unlike say Death Note or Fullmetal Alchemist.

Have you even seen Bleach? It's a bunch of white people with japanese names living in Japan. Maybe 5 characters in a show with hundreds look even remotely asian.

That is so insensitive of you!!!
Chad is Mexican!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to TitanXL's brilliant re interpretation of Bleach brought to the Big Screen! Will Barry get Ophelia at the end, or will his rival, Eugene, sweep in and get the girl? And also, Chad! Razz

I guess he forgot about Chad. I mean, he is the most forgettable, underdeveloped "main" character in the series, so I don't blame him.

To be serious, while the people and companies behind this somewhat give me hope (particularly Masi Oka), the issue central to this project will undoubtedly be the whitewashing. Like Akira, whether they change the location or make the characters white, it will cause controversy. Titan's description is funny, but it's very true.

Because they could keep the plot and how the characters act exactly the same. But whitewashing will happen in one form or another.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:36 am Reply with quote
Why does everyone think WB will ruin this? Did we forget about The Dark Knight, 300, and Watchmen? What, because of Dragonball Evolution, it's mandatory to assume an adaptation is going to suck? Did you know that in the 90s, nobody thought Superhero movies will catch on?
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:39 am Reply with quote
Poor Warner are you really this desperate for a good genre franchise?

Yes Harry Potter is over and the Chris Nolan Batman series ends this year and Hobbit only takes you into 2013 but surely there is something better than licensing japanese anime and manga series like say using more DC comics characters in films ("cough Green Lantern cough") oh right.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:

A movie about people who yell "bankai!" and walk around in tabi sounds perfect for Hollywood.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:01 am Reply with quote
I think this movie could be interesting as long as they get the right cast and set it in Japan instead of trying to do what the makers of Dragonball Evolution did with the casting of characters like Goku...

On another note, there was one mistake in the article; "Wrath of the Titans" isn't a remake, it's actually the 2012 sequel to the 2010 remake of "Clash of the Titans".
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:34 am Reply with quote
Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
There we go, it's that time of the year again. Is this going to be another Dragon Ball Z flop, or a dead Akira project?

I hope they actually make something good out of this...

Same here.

There's no reason why this can't turn around and surprise everyone by being amazing, but like most commenters here, I'm certainly wary of it going the DBZ route or, to draw on a similar situation, The Last Airbender flick (Shamamalama cited he was a "big fan" and had "tremendous respect" for Avatar too, so I'm afraid I can't take any of these folks at their word anymore).
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:36 am Reply with quote
Konopan wrote:

So if we did relocate this to a Mexican setting, would the Shinigami be wearing ponchos and drinking tequila in adobe houses in the Soul Society instead of wearing hakama/kimonos, sitting on the floor drinking tea? I suppose we might as well change their katanas to revolvers and give Aizen a 'stache too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10